The Age of Reason: 53
Old 03-22-2007, 09:48 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

The Age of Reason: 53

Interesting data on age and financial mistakes
-h

http://online.wsj.com/public/article..._20070329.html

Your Financial Savvy May Hit Its Peak at 53, Survey of Data Suggests

A quartet of economists think they have found an answer. In looking at which consumers get stuck paying those pesky credit-card fees, the economists noticed a puzzling pattern: Younger and older consumers were more likely than others to get hit with easily avoided fees. So the economists expanded their inquiry to loans and other products, and sifted through records of tens of thousands of consumers.

They found that middle-aged adults tend to borrow at lower interest rates and pay fewer fees than younger and older adults. The age at which consumers are least likely to make financial mistakes: a few months past their 53rd birthday, despite all the pressures that accompany middle age.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: The Age of Reason: 53
Old 03-22-2007, 09:59 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

GREAT I turn 53 this fall!!! Does that mean i get to play victim in 2008 and beyond?@#$%^&*()
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:07 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy connie
GREAT I turn 53 this fall!!! Does that mean i get to play victim in 2008 and beyond?@#$%^&*()
No all that means is that you get to call bu**sh*it on all of us young ones and point to the study as proof

-h
Old 03-23-2007, 07:47 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Could it be that ages 53 or so are peak earning years, so people have better cash flow, and don't need to borrow as much or use credit as much.

Those who are younger don't have $$ but have the pressures of families, homes, etc.

I wouldn't expect people to get savvy in their 50s and then forget it (dementia aside). But, for older folks, reduced income combined with unexpected expenses (health, taking in grandkids) could seriously harm finances and result in renewed reliance on credit.

I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:38 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy
Could it be that ages 53 or so are peak earning years, so people have better cash flow, and don't need to borrow as much or use credit as much.

Those who are younger don't have $$ but have the pressures of families, homes, etc.

I wouldn't expect people to get savvy in their 50s and then forget it (dementia aside). But, for older folks, reduced income combined with unexpected expenses (health, taking in grandkids) could seriously harm finances and result in renewed reliance on credit.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. Obviously someone isn't savvy at 53 and then unsavvy at 63, but circumstances create actions

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:41 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wish I could find that report regarding people in their 50's the percent who suffer a life changing moment. IE divorce or sickness that hinders their ability to save for retirement. If I remember correctly it was something near a 50/50 chance.
Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:04 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

It just might be that these smart 53yo will move the bar up as they grow older. This could portend bad news for the finance industry. And subsequent tightening of free credit as a cost-saving measure.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:49 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswswein
They found that middle-aged adults tend to borrow at lower interest rates and pay fewer fees than younger and older adults. The age at which consumers are least likely to make financial mistakes: a few months past their 53rd birthday, despite all the pressures that accompany middle age.
I wonder why. It couldn't possibly have anything to do with being in the peak earning years, with kids moving out of the house, with the mortgage being paid off or with still being young enough to typically still be in pretty good health...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote