Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 06:20 PM   #261
Recycles dryer sheets

I ran across this article by happenstance; it was one of those follow-on articles the publications are now putting at the end of the article you selected to read, in order to keep your eyes on the site:

Opting Out of Coastal Madness to Live a Low-Overhead Life - The Atlantic

She talks about Mr. Gabler, his article, and how her situation does (or really, does not) relate to his. I think we'd get along better with her...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2016, 06:44 PM   #262
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggbutcher View Post
I ran across this article by happenstance; it was one of those follow-on articles the publications are now putting at the end of the article you selected to read, in order to keep your eyes on the site:

She talks about Mr. Gabler, his article, and how her situation does (or really, does not) relate to his. I think we'd get along better with her...
Uh, I like her! didn't much care for that other feller....
Old 05-02-2016, 07:50 PM   #263
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's somewhat bothersome to me that Gabler's article is still the number two of the popular articles on The Atlantic website.

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:25 PM   #264
Give me a forum ...

I thought both were very good and were well presented eh? One after the other? A look at 2 ways of dealing with it?

And especially since she is a fan of Gabler?

Not to mention, they both got paid -
Old 05-02-2016, 09:20 PM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Agree about the "dumbing down" of the media. Magazines, newspapers, TV all seem to be aiming for a level of intelligence and sophistication that appears to be quite low. No lack of opinions though, often poorly supported. Not sure where all this ends up, but pretty sure I will be gone before we see it.
For information people now head to the internet where they check their favorite sites. For entertainment they seek the other media. This bifurcation will continue to grow such that in the coming years few print magazines will have much thoughtful content. Television is ahead of magazines in this transition.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:06 AM   #266

Quote:

The author is genuine and likable but the path to financial independence rarely includes a house cleaner, twice a week visits to 'spendy restaurants', 4 dollar lattes, frequent visits to the nail place or any other indulgences. Particulary on a part timers salary. I'd love to see what else is in her budget.

Then there's that whole entitlement theme it starts with 'I deserve...' If I could answer I'd sit her down and say you don't deserve anything you earn it. Lady no one said life is easy but you can make it better with restraint, balance and building a big pile....

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Retirement in an affordable city
Old 05-03-2016, 05:13 AM   #267

Retirement in an affordable city

I took the liberty of pulling this out of the post about Neil G because I I am disgusted with his lifestyle. The author in this article is a real and honest person.

Quote:

The author is genuine and likable but the path to financial independence rarely includes a house cleaner, twice a week visits to 'spendy restaurants', (4 dollar lattes, frequent visits to the nail place) or any other indulgences. Particulary on a part timers salary. I'd love to see what else is in her budget.

Then there's that whole entitlement theme it starts with 'I deserve...' If I could answer I'd sit her down and say you don't deserve anything you earn it. Lady no one said life is easy but you can make it better with restraint, balance and building a big pile....I think she's nearly figured it out.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:18 AM   #268
Administrator

Do we really need another thread on this guy?

Edit - same topic, so threads merged.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:23 AM   #269
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
Then there's that whole entitlement theme it starts with 'I deserve...'
As Clint told us
Old 05-03-2016, 05:29 AM   #270
gone traveling

The Atlantic Article on Lack of Savings

There is a lot of truth about cutting overhead to "afford" a better lifestyle. I'm sure the author could be living in San Francisco, paying 3000 per month for an apartment. Instead she is in Cleveland and paying 700 dollars for an apartment, 300 for a maid, 250 in lattes, 175 for nails, and who knows what for nice restaurant meals.

I like that she chose a trade off vs others who want it all and get it all via credit card debt. I won't fault her lifestyle - frugality isn't for everyone and definitions of that are individual in nature - but spending less than you earn is- so kudos to her ...
Old 05-03-2016, 06:04 AM   #271

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Do we really need another thread on this guy?

Edit - same topic, so threads merged.

There are millions of people living in the tri-state area because of habit, fear of trying something new and "my family lives there". I was one of them. My 60 year old cape cod was tiny.. Not enough room in the proper kitchen for a table and barely enough in the dinning room for a table and a hutch. A narrow driveway and a tiny band of grass separated the homes. Whats more the school system was mediocre at best. Oh it was tidy, updated and well landscaped. When I sold it for $500,000 there was an attempt at a bidding war but I shook hands with the first full price offer and I stood by our agreement.

The house I found just over a hundred miles away was roughly $70k less. It in comparison is a castle, eat in kitchen (that has a large wooden table that I am sitting at right now) , full size dining room, walk in closets etc., My daughters 3.75 at a top 100 university is testimony to the school district. The HS is like a small university.
There is less traffic, the occasional fox sighting and deer, oh lord are there deer. The potato beds are generous and there's room for dozens of tomato plants. For me well it has been 10 years of paradise.

I've seen colleagues tear up at the when discussing there house hunting on Long Island. So many young couples are priced out of the market. It was awful. I guess that why any discussion about living in a lower cost area peaks my interest. I am so tired of Neil G and his excuses. Mike I should have posted the above. Apologies...

Thinking of retiring it the NYC (or metropolitan) area that you know consider shifting the paradigm and moving to a lower cost area - do your homework and start a new adventure...

Old 05-03-2016, 07:42 AM   #272

Quote:
I took the liberty of pulling this out of the post about Neil G because I I am disgusted with his lifestyle.

With all due respect I think your reaction is too strong. There are winners and losers at the financial game of life. He is a loser and I suspect you and most people here, are winners. There are plenty of losers around and they often make the winners feel better.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:13 AM   #273

It isn't the bad choices it is all the excuses...

Old 05-03-2016, 09:00 AM   #274
Give me a forum ...

I read Ann Trubek's article about moving to a depressed area. Cleveland was once a great city, and it still has the quality orchestras, art museums and universities and medicine infrastructure of a great city.

And she lives in Shaker Heights, historically a beautiful and affluent suburb. I think this is telling. If you move to one of these formerly great eastern or mid-western cities, don't expect to live downtown like you can in many more currently successful and higher cost cities. Crime will convince you that you are much better off in the burbs.

And most people want to live in the suburbs anyway, so the only loss is their friends and/or family in the old place.

And if you have children, many of them will have to leave once they are post college, since really these old rust belt cities are not the easiest places for a young person to create a career.

Ha
Old 05-03-2016, 09:43 AM   #275
Give me a forum ...

There are many cities in between the extreme of coastal metro areas and rustbelt cities, where housing cost is more manageable and good jobs can be had.

I recently have seen a few articles talking about people who do not hold high-paid tech jobs wanting to leave SF area. Even the rank-and-file high-tech workers are hard pressed to buy a home there. My brother refused an offer to go back to Google, which came with a high 6-figure option. He and his wife did not want to give up their 4000-sq.ft. home in Phoenix.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-03-2016, 10:04 AM   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

I recently have seen a few articles talking about people who do not hold high-paid tech jobs wanting to leave SF area. Even the rank-and-file high-tech workers are hard pressed to buy a home there. ...
Yep. Our eldest (Mech/electrical)and his fiancee (software, albeit with Mech/robotics degree) are starting to investigate their options. They figure a couple more years of squirreling money away from their tiny one-bedroom apt and walking to work will put them in a good position for home buying just about anywhere else.

Then again, if either of them wins in their equity lottery, they'll likely stay; they love the area, but .....
Old 05-03-2016, 10:40 AM   #277
Give me a forum ...

The woman in the rust belt is still into status, "My son goes to a great school—two of the 2016 Pulitzer Prize winners are alums. I have a house cleaner. I go out to spendy restaurants about twice a week. And I always have $400 on hand in case of an emergency. And yet my 2015 taxes reveal that my income was $43,000." Yet she lives in an area where the other households make almost twice as much: "the median income in Shaker Heights, where I live, is $75,177."

I give her credit for a low cost of living part of the country but if I had that kind of income I would be cleaning my own house and cutting Domino Pizza coupons until I had my retirement funded. And I guess having $400 in savings is now the new black.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 05-03-2016, 11:13 AM   #278
Give me a forum ...

Some day after I get this house spiffied up inside (new paint all rooms, new carpet / flooring all rooms and the new layout figured out with my girlfriend (her input needed and desired) I'm going to hire house cleaning. Good 'ole "Merry Maids" or something.

I can afford it and like Ann, I hate house cleaning. All that dusting and sweeping and mopping and scrubbing with all the associated stoop work is best done by other than I. Just thinking about it makes my back ache.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:22 PM   #279

Quote:
Thinking of retiring it the NYC (or metropolitan) area that you know consider shifting the paradigm and moving to a lower cost area - do your homework and start a new adventure...
That's part of why we moved from the Washington, D.C. area to West Virginia. We paid cash for a nicer home than either of us thought we'd ever live in and friends/relatives were at the time within reasonable driving distance. (Some since moved.) It's a nice area - not all of WV is Appalachia and closed-up coal mines but indeed it is harder to find a good job than in the D.C. area. Not a factor for us though since we're done working. And some people have what I think are amazingly long commutes to work.

Some people were incredulous - "You're moving WHERE?" But yes, we have city water & sewer, electricity and broadband internet. While housing prices are a lot lower the other costs like food and fuel are only slightly lower. Oh, and we don't have to plan our lives around traffic like in D.C.

All in all though it is a pretty good deal for us.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:41 PM   #280
Give me a forum ...

I'm one of the ones that put up with the long commute, 60 miles each way for years. Yup worked in the "Bay area", but didn't live there. Lotta driving.

But now in my retirement it's really an almost perfect spot (for me) as I'm;

Less than an hour to the "Bay area" for lunches or other appointments
A little over an hour to Sacramento
11 miles from the Delta where my "new" used boat will be floating in a marina after I get the house done. I like to fish.
11 miles from an outdoor shooting range. I like to shoot.
Yosemite is an easy day ride on the motorcycle.
Reno is a 3 hour drive and I like to play poker.

You pay your dues up front so you get to relax and enjoy later -
Closed Thread