Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

The Best Part Time Jobs
Old 03-28-2007, 11:58 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

The Best Part Time Jobs

It's quite likely that part-time employment will be a component of my actual ER later this year. I'm just wondering... have many of you found part-time employment that if not enjoyable, at least doesn't suck?

: : :

ScaredtoQuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: The Best Part Time Jobs
Old 03-28-2007, 01:14 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

I'm not retired, but I dream of part time employment in a quilt shop. I would love to be surrounded by fabric and able to help others plan their quilts.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:19 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I would love a part time job in a bookstore, or library. I'm also contemplating trying to teach part time at a local Jr. college when I retire - if I can make it through this Masters!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:26 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Did anyone think about driving taxi, I dont know the details, maybe dangerous.
landover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:55 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I plan to either be a full-time personal trainer for couple years prior to ER or at least part-time as one in ER. Aside from that, what Laurence said -- bookstore, library, or community college teaching computer science (though I expect hordes of burned out software engineers to swarm over every available teaching position )
Old 03-28-2007, 02:31 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Computer tech support. However its an industry filled with people so doubt I could find much pt work.
Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:40 PM   #7

I've always thought that a State Park... tour guide, campground attendant (sells the daily pass, hands out maps, etc.), or something similar would be pretty interesting. I guess that would all hinge on how much you like people, whether you're outgoing and would like to meet others (Oh! You're from ____ , how long have you lived there, whats the scenery like, etc.) Even if you're mowing the lawns at some picturesque locale, it would seem pretty painless, to me.

I guess you have to look more at what you think you'd like to do vs. what kind of job affords that opportunity, I assume you're just fishing for ideas.

Of course, there are dangers with combining perceived leisure with work. Alcohol consumption vs. bartender, for instance.

Another engineer I know retired and worked at Home Depot, because he liked home improvement/remodeling/land scaping, etc.

-CC
Old 03-28-2007, 03:04 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdaCE
I've always thought that a State Park... tour guide, campground attendant (sells the daily pass, hands out maps, etc.), or something similar would be pretty interesting. I guess that would all hinge on how much you like people, whether you're outgoing and would like to meet others (Oh! You're from ____ , how long have you lived there, whats the scenery like, etc.) Even if you're mowing the lawns at some picturesque locale, it would seem pretty painless, to me.

-CC
After visiting Bryce Canyon in Utah last year and talking with a ranger about his job
- if I had it to do over again, I would seriously look into being a park ranger at a national park.

It's been reported here before, but my part-time job in retirement is working as an
Event Supervisor for the Pittsburgh Pirates. This year will be my 3rd year.
Last year I worked 60 games including the 3 day All-Star events and game.
Lots of fun; lots of interaction with fans; and the money is exceptional for a p-t job.

renferme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:42 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I envision working p/t at the local public library, assuming I still love this gig as much as i do now. Alternate thoughts are freelance research/competitive intelligence work, mainly for nonprofits and small businesses. (heck, I might start on this now as a sideline if i can ever screw up the courage to try entrepreneurship...) Adjunct teaching a few credits a year could be cool too. If working for a living turns out to be too much of a fuss for a little extra travel cash, I'd like to be one of the ushers at the local performing arts center--you see all the shows for free and get to wear a cool yellow blazer! On the volunteer front, I'm also considering meals on wheels and/or being a CASA advocate.

(OMG--I'm going to be busier post-FIRE than I am now!)
OKLibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:04 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

If part-time work is a part of a semi-ER plan that gets you out of the cubicle a few years earlier, as described in Bob Clyatt's book, then that's great.

But what if money wasn't a requirement? Would you pursue the part-time work if it didn't have a paycheck?

Would you still pursue it even if it cost you special clothing, gas, and other commuting expenses?

I ask this question because in ER I haven't even "found the time" to finish my "To Do" list, let alone my "Volunteer" or "Charity" lists. But I've made ample time available to accomplish the things on my "Wanna Do" list...

... OK, back to the rental rehab and the tax returns.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:13 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Working in a quilt or sewing shop (plenty of opportunities at Jo-Ann fabrics), bookstore, Whole Foods (you get 20% off of your food), Home Depot, Elderhostel at the Peabody Institute. The possibilities are endless - what am I waiting for!
AlmostDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:15 PM   #12

You shouldn't have a problem finding a part-time position doing that.

It's a high burnout job and employers would likely appreciate the fact that somebody is working the job for the love and unlikely to burnout (or at least take twice as long to do so!)

Not to mention, since it usually runs in shifts, so that provides even more opportunity for you (unless you're looking for the typical 9-5 hours).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwsinron
Computer tech support. However its an industry filled with people so doubt I could find much pt work.
Peaceful_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:16 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I ask this question because in ER I haven't even "found the time" to finish my "To Do" list, let alone my "Volunteer" or "Charity" lists. But I've made ample time available to accomplish the things on my "Wanna Do" list...
So far this week alone, I've been offered 3 PT j*bs for when I FIRE next week. However, I don't believe I'll be able to find time for a j*b, seeing as my "Wanna Do" list keeps growing, and Growing, and GROWING!

So in my view, the "best part time j*b"....will have to be.......Somebody Else's!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by landover
Did anyone think about driving taxi, I dont know the details, maybe dangerous.
I did this in the summer between freshman and sophomore years of college. It was 1974 and I was 19. And female. It was only the 2nd year that they allowed women drivers and there were just a few of us, I was the only one on the daytime shift.

For a kid from the suburbs this was quite an eyeopener. It was very interesting, every day was something different. The dispatcher tried to keep the summer kids in the suburbs and out of the city, just for our safety, but I did have fares downtown and to the airport and to some seedy areas.

At that age, at that time of my life, this was an adventure into REAL LIFE. But yes, it can be dangerous. Of course, at that age, I was invincible. Nothing bad happened to me and I have a summer's worth of interesting stories.

As for doing this as a retirement part time job, many cab companies let you make your own hours, you can work as many or as few as you want. You meet a lot of interesting people, some need to talk, others need to just ride. Back when I did it the pay was very good for a college kid. I rode my bike to the garage, took a snack with me and spent nothing all summer, I saved it all.

Safety wise, things are probably more high tech now. I was driving a Checker Marathon with just a radio to the dispatcher. I think they keep better track of you now. But you are still alone with a stranger.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:53 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quick answer to OP with a QUICK skim thru of replies (i.e., sorry if this is a repeat)

Have an aquantance (sp?!) with health issues - she got a part time job at home depot and got decent health care coverage. Don't know much more details. Could be very useful, tho.

Best to all!

Jane (very busy lately and trying to keep up w/the board!) :P
Old 03-28-2007, 07:25 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Flight Instructor
Hydroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:19 PM   #17

To keep myself busy during the dogs days of winter here in the snow belt of PA, I've been doing income taxes. Originally worked for HR Block but got tired of the pressure to "sell" stuff to the financially unsophisticated. Now work as a seasonal assistant for a CPA firm. Decent money and it's kinda fun, but it also reminds me how much I enjoy the retired life come April 18.

Another fun job with pay....school crossing guard. I only live a block away from the school so it takes up half an hour twice a school day.

RE2Boys
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:26 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've had a couple of part time jobs (in finance). I found that I worked harder because on my days off, I did the stuff that needed to be done around the house. It was like having a full time job without the benefits.

DH thinks he would like to work part time at a music store after he retires. I don't think this will work because he'd have to be on his feet all day. I worked in a department store for 3 years (in my 20's) and it was the toughest job I have ever had.

I just volunteer a few hours a week now and sometimes that's too much.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:16 AM   #19

Here's some selections to choose from, all listed here:
Retirement Jobs: http://www.retireearlylifestyle.com/...ty_service.htm

BackDoor Jobs: Check out opportunities for heartfelt jobs, artistic pursuits, spiritual quests, volunteer vacations or job adventures abroad.

Cool Works: Find a seasonal job or career in some of the greatest places on Earth. Get a summer job in Yellowstone, Yosemite, or another national park. Find a summer job as a camp counselor. Ski resorts, ranches, theme parks, tour companies and more...

Tropic Jobs: The #1 website for jobs in the Caribbean.

Senior Job Resource: A directory of job, employment and career information for workers 50 years or older.

Retired Brains: For Older boomers, seniors, retirees and those about to retire who wish to continue working.

Learning for Life: Want to stay active after retirement? Share your expertise, wisdom and experience? Learning for Life offers seven programs designed to support schools and community-based organizations.

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 03-29-2007, 05:21 AM   #20

I tell everybody that when I retire, I'd love to be a barista at Starbucks a couple days a week.

I'm a natural morning person, I love coffee, and I like people so it would seem to fit the bill.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote