Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

The case for a quick recovery
Old 01-12-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

The case for a quick recovery

With all the press over the past few months regarding "the end of the world as we know it", it's nice to see an opposing view:

"Some economists think that because the current downturn has been so sharp, that sets the stage for a stronger and faster rebound than many now expect."

"The crisis in financial and credit markets sparked by the Lehman Brothers bankruptcy in September caused businesses to slam the brakes on production much harder than justified by reduced demand alone, according to Joseph Carson, chief economist at AllianceBernstein.
"

"...when things start to show signs of improvement, the economy could well be helped by pent-up demand from consumers who sharply curtailed purchases in recent months."

Note the qualifying phrase "when things start to show signs of improvement." Guess that's considerably more optimistic than saying "if things start to show signs of improvement."

Current economic pain could lead to gains ahead - Jan. 12, 2009
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2009, 09:37 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would be quite content with a slooow recovery, thank you.

Slow as in getting back to my Nov 2007 high in 2 or 3 years. Let's see, at 26% loss and 4% SWR, that's my living expenses for 6 years I am getting back. I can be patient.

PS. I forgot my signature. Buy, buy, buy.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:57 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

REWahoo, I don't believe for a minute that the recovery will be any faster than any other, but it is sure pleasant to consider!

If the Dow would just get back into the 11,000's in 2009 or 2010, I will be extremely happy and content. Those heady 14,000's of 2007 would be great, but it is hard to imagine that we would be experiencing that kind of market any time soon.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:13 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

See my Signature lines.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:43 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Also interesting are the predictions of just what the Market will look like once things "settle down":

The Inevitable Consolidation of Retail Brokerage | Cake Financial

Information Arbitrage: Wall Street, Circa 2010: Disaggregation and Specialization
Old 01-13-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Okay. I'll keep pumping air into this thread.

Today's MarketWatch e-Newsletter comes with this insightful Editorial comment:

Quote:
The string of infamous investment scams goes back nearly 300 years in an unbroken line that tracks the gullibility of people whose greed overcomes their common sense and the ability of scurrilous characters to take every advantage of human foibles.

... And it isn't necessarily our penchant to buy into get-rich-quick schemes or trust scam artists who talk a good game about big returns that gets us in such trouble. It can be nothing more complex than believing in predictions that are just that -- predictions.

... For so many people with battered nest eggs, that is a pretty enticing view to embrace.

A lead up to this article:

Doomsayers warn: "No Recovery before 2010"
(A fairly lengthy article by Paul B. Farrell)
Old 01-13-2009, 11:55 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Note that I timed my rebalancing to the exact top of the dead cat bounce (Jan 2).

But I expect a better than expected recovery.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:01 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Note that I timed my rebalancing to the exact top of the dead cat bounce (Jan 2).

But I expect a better than expected recovery.
No reason to think the future will continue to be like that, but since mid-October anyone who alternated between going long with a 7900 Dow and going short with an 8900 Dow has made quite a bit of money...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Doomsayers warn: "No Recovery before 2010"
(A fairly lengthy article by Paul B. Farrell)
I've come to believe Farrell must own controlling interest in the black paint market. Does he ever write anything that doesn't boil down to gloom, despair and disaster await us just around the corner?
Old 01-13-2009, 12:56 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
gloom, despair and disaster await us just around the corner?
It doesn't?

Actually, the last time I read anything by him was a couple of years ago so couldn't prove it (his leanings) by me.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:18 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Does he ever write anything that doesn't boil down to gloom, despair and disaster await us just around the corner?
We'll have to pair him up with Grantham at a party and see if we can get a couple drinks in them...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:48 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

To me a good investment plan isn't based on hope. I'll take Shillers view on the matter.

Leading economist fears decade of weakness in US

Leading economist fears decade of weakness in US - Times Online
Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:25 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
We'll have to pair him up with Grantham at a party and see if we can get a couple drinks in them...
Pair me up with anyone and you can get a couple of drinks into me.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:36 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quick recovery or slow recovery, it is OK to me.

As long as it does recover ... at some point in my lifetime.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:30 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I saw more hope than analysis the original link, but we al need hope, i suppose.

Hey, we should be proud of our economy! What used to take 660 days we can now accomplish in half the time! (link)

In the big scheme of things, it doesn't matter much to me on a personal level whether the market recovers in one year or 10. What really matters is the overall performance of all the relevant asset classes over the next 20-50 years--compared to inflation.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:22 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I see the housing market prices almost reaching the level where they should be. Banks certainly have been given a grand boost from the TARP, and the banks are the fertilizer that make good business grow.

The Obama stimulus plan should pump in another $1 trillion into the economy, so something could happen quickly. If Obama puts the money to create jobs - that means he will be growing companies.

With many people deep in debt and credit scores low, it may be a few years until consumers can get credit again. This would keep American consumer spending at a reasonable level, which keep inflation relatively low. It could increase investment in the market again.

Growing companies, low inflation, full employment - this could quickly grow the GNP quickly along with exports. Ergo, fast recovery.
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:29 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo View Post
I see the housing market prices almost reaching the level where they should be. Banks certainly have been given a grand boost from the TARP, and the banks are the fertilizer that make good business grow.
Many banks are still on perilous ground, even after TARP.........

Quote:
The Obama stimulus plan should pump in another $1 trillion into the economy, so something could happen quickly. If Obama puts the money to create jobs - that means he will be growing companies.
Most of the jobs he will create will be GOVT jobs, those jobs don't raise GDP long term.........

Quote:
With many people deep in debt and credit scores low, it may be a few years until consumers can get credit again. This would keep American consumer spending at a reasonable level, which keep inflation relatively low. It could increase investment in the market again.
So, Walmart will succeed and 20 other retailers will fail, how is that going to spur on the economy??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:43 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Many banks are still on perilous ground, even after TARP.........
In Michigan, Bank Lends Little of Its Bailout Funds
Old 01-14-2009, 08:56 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Hey Sam, can you extend those curves to show the recoveries?
Old 01-14-2009, 09:05 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Hey Sam, can you extend those curves to show the recoveries?
I'd be worth a lot of money if I could extend the blue line about 200 days to the right!

The graph was a cut and paste from something found at the linked site. I'll see if I can find a more complete graph elsewhwere.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote