Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-29-2007, 12:46 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Or Hillary
That's pretty funny.....Hillary LOWERING taxes....................

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2007, 12:50 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin View Post
For folks suggesting that Roths, for example, might lose some of their tax exempt status in the coming years or decades, are there examples from recent U.S. tax law history that suggest the government might take away favorable tax treatment of these type accounts. In other words, if one were to act in reliance on the promise from the government that a certain account type (or other long-term, non-revocable money decision) would be tax exempt/tax favored going forward, has one been disappointed by the government changing their position after the fact? Have promises been broken?
It would be VERY DIFFICULT to repeal the Roth IRA as it stands. Even if it were repealed, current Roths would be "grandfathered" in..........

Why would Congress worry about it? It's not like 50% of Americans are using them anyway.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:30 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
It would be VERY DIFFICULT to repeal the Roth IRA as it stands. Even if it were repealed, current Roths would be "grandfathered" in..........

Why would Congress worry about it? It's not like 50% of Americans are using them anyway.........
My thoughts exactly on both counts. My roth is safe. I don't have much of an option between Roth/Traditional since the income limits to deduct Trad's are sufficiently low that I'm basically phased out of being able to contribute to Trads. That's why I'm contributing to Roth's now.

I see a national sales tax (as a REPLACEMENT to income tax) as a low probability event. Now they might just add it on top of income tax...
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:37 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I see a national sales tax (as a REPLACEMENT to income tax) as a low probability event. Now they might just add it on top of income tax...
Gotta pay for these republican wars some how...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:40 PM   #25

I have always wondered who the American taxpayer thinks is going to pay their bills if they aren't. People who would brag about not having private debt would support public debt to infinity if they could pretend to themselves that someone else is going to step in and pay their part in a madness or that it will go, poof, away and no one will have to pay.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:33 PM   #26

Quote:
Serious tax question without meaning to cast aspersions on anyone:

For folks suggesting that Roths, for example, might lose some of their tax exempt status in the coming years or decades, are there examples from recent U.S. tax law history that suggest the government might take away favorable tax treatment of these type accounts. In other words, if one were to act in reliance on the promise from the government that a certain account type (or other long-term, non-revocable money decision) would be tax exempt/tax favored going forward, has one been disappointed by the government changing their position after the fact? Have promises been broken?

There is historical precident for taxation of "excess" IRA distributions. Before 1997 if you took more than what was deemed to be a "reasonable" amount out of your IRA, then you were hit up for an extra 15% excise tax. This was on top of any income taxes owed on that amount.

So something along those lines is certainly possible for a Roth IRA. Keep that in mind as you do your lifetime planning. Perhaps the concept of several independent accounts or streams of income is the way to go for tax diversity.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:17 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceGeek View Post
In fact I kinda suspect that any discussion of higher capital gains tax rates, or elimination of preferential treatment for capital gains, might tank the market.
I think it will have an effect, but perhaps not a big one. For example, over the next few years I may sell some MFs and pay the cap gains tax rather than wait until after 2010 and pay tax at the "regular income" rate when I sell. However, after I sell those MFs I'm likely to just repurchase the same ones (effectively just re-setting the basis through this action). If people do this, it shouldn't have an appreciable impact on share prices. They have to buy something with the money they get when they sell, right?

Still, raising the effective tax rate on equities (by eliminating the favorable tax rate on cap gains) will make them less attractive investments, which will drive down their prices somewhat.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:52 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Have promises been broken?

I'm drawing blanks right now.
There are no promises when it comes to taxes or Congress. Congress has even been known to pass retroactive tax hikes, with the full blessing of the Supreme Court when it has been challenged.

If they need money, they will find a way to get it.
bpp3 is offline   Reply With Quote