Join Early Retirement Today

The Coming Tax Increases...
Old 10-27-2007, 07:32 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

The Coming Tax Increases...

It seems likely to me that tax rates and burdens will take a significant step up in the 2009-2010 period. Capital gains and dividends may well be taxed at normal income rates. The Feds may even look at an Assets Surcharge Tax (levied in some countries now). Universal health care, in some form, will mean higher taxes.

This all said, how does a FIRE'd couple prepare for this situation. MY DW asks if moving out of the USA is an option, should taxes REALLY shoot up. Any thoughts out there?
DougViages is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2007, 07:47 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One can set it up so that you have no income in the 2009-2010 time period. If you are living off a safe-withdrawal rate of 4% of your assets, you can simply have 12% of your assets in cash or stocks with no gains in those years. You can spend the cash to cover expenses and sell stocks with no gains (return of capital is tax-free).

We reduce our taxes by having no fixed income in taxable accounts, so all the bond dividends are tax-deferred or tax-free in our IRAs and 401ks. In our taxable accounts we do tax-loss harvesting (sell losers) and do not book capital gains, so with no realized cap gains, we have no cap gains taxes.

We read on these forums of several folks with 6-figure incomes who pay about 5% of their income in taxes. That doesn't seem like a burden to me.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 08:10 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

From what I understand, moving away isn't an option, unless you're also willing to renounce your citizenship with all that implies. US citizens are liable for income taxes regardless of where they live. Of course there are credits for some foreign taxes, but that won't offer much if any net savings.

I agree that chances are we'll see an increased tax burden in 2009 or 2010, in income tax at the high end and potentially dividends and capital gains as well (although I view that as less likely).

However, I think the chances of an asset surcharge tax in the short or intermediate term are very close to zero. It would take a much larger resurgence of economic populism in this country for that to happen. It could certainly happen at some point in the future, but I can't see it happening before the next presidential election.

One man's opinion, anyway - that and $2 will get you anywhere you need to go on the NY subway system.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:13 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Well, when we retired taxes were higher. Cap gain taxes have kept coming down which has really helped us over the years because we have been divesting from a single company stock over the time period.

I plan to mostly be done with the stock selling by the end of 2008 in anticipation that cap gains tax rates might increase even though they aren't due to expire until 2010. So yes, I'm expecting cap gains taxes to increase and the dividend tax rate to revert back to standard income tax rate.

All I can do is to try to keep my mostly taxable investment portfolio as efficient as possible given the constraints of my allocation.

So far, we pay the AMT rate on non-cap gains income, and of course 15% on the cap gains/dividends realized any given year. If we could get past AMT, our tax burden would be lower, but I guess overall it's not so onerous especially as 2/3 to 3/4 of our income is taxed at the cap gains rate.

I would never consider moving out of the US for lower taxes.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:20 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

You never know, Ron Paul might actually win and eliminate income taxes.
CybrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:00 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CybrMike View Post
You never know, Ron Paul might actually win and eliminate income taxes.
Or Hillary
Old 10-28-2007, 10:39 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Or Hillary
You mean Hillary might eliminate income taxes, too?

Or that Ron Paul might eliminate Hillary?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:59 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree that taxes have nowhere to go but up.

For someone who is already FIRE'd about all you can do is be vigilant in your investing strategy to avoid taxable events (e.g. allocate taxable funds to ETFs or individual stocks like BRK which avoids dividends and capital gain distributions). Then, you sell your highest basis (if taxable account) to fund living expenses. Unless you're subject to RMDs, you should be able to keep your taxes pretty low.

I agree that a wealth tax is hard to fathom at present. There are too many variables with illiquid investments in privately held firms for it to be workable. In countries that do have such a system (India is one I'm familiar with), asset hiding and underreporting are endemic to the point where such a tax collects very little at the end of the day.

My prediction is that the labor force participation rate (currently around 67%) will drop way down in the next 5 to 10 years, perhaps to 50%. I think there are an awful lot of people who can make it just fine if health care were available outside of a work relationship, especially if it becomes "free" to those who no longer work. My prediction is that a great many will decide that continued work just isn't worth it given the new taxation levels and - if health care is no longer tied to working - will stop working.

Look on the bright side, membership on this board has nowhere to go but up!
FinanceGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:11 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceGeek View Post
I agree that taxes have nowhere to go but up.

For someone who is already FIRE'd about all you can do is be vigilant in your investing strategy to avoid taxable events (e.g. allocate taxable funds to ETFs or individual stocks like BRK which avoids dividends and capital gain distributions). Then, you sell your highest basis (if taxable account) to fund living expenses.
If we think taxes are going up in the future - why would we want a fund that avoids cap gains distributions and dividends?

If the cap gains are not paid out now, they will be included in the NAV when we sell later (all else being equal). If tax rates are higher at that time, we will get a bigger tax bite (though it will be deferred).

I know this is contrary to the usual advice to defer taxes, but does that still make sense in a (likely) rising tax environment?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:18 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
If we think taxes are going up in the future - why would we want a fund that avoids cap gains distributions and dividends?

If the cap gains are not paid out now, they will be included in the NAV when we sell later (all else being equal). If tax rates are higher at that time, we will get a bigger tax bite (though it will be deferred).

I know this is contrary to the usual advice to defer taxes, but does that still make sense in a (likely) rising tax environment?

-ERD50
Agree, my comments spoke more to "how to invest once taxes are already higher". In that scenario, avoiding taxation on anything except what you need to sell to pay for your living expenses is preferred.

For now, with relatively low tax rates, it may make every bit of sense to cash in long term capital gains to enjoy the lower rate now. In fact I kinda suspect that any discussion of higher capital gains tax rates, or elimination of preferential treatment for capital gains, might tank the market.
FinanceGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:20 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceGeek View Post
Agree, my comments spoke more to "how to invest once taxes are already higher". In that scenario, avoiding taxation on anything except what you need to sell to pay for your living expenses is preferred.

For now, with relatively low tax rates, it may make every bit of sense to cash in long term capital gains to enjoy the lower rate now. In fact I kinda suspect that any discussion of higher capital gains tax rates, or elimination of preferential treatment for capital gains, might tank the market.
OK, that makes sense to me. Thanks.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:13 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

If you think tax rates will be worse in the future, one thing you can do is convert more money from regular to Roth IRAs now.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:22 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
If you think tax rates will be worse in the future, one thing you can do is convert more money from regular to Roth IRAs now.
I intend to do that in 2010, when the income limit disappears and we have 2 years to pay the tax on the conversion.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:43 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I went one better (in early 2004) ... I cashed out a Traditional IRA, the penalties be damned. My logic is that taxes might well be higher in decades ahead (I was just in my early 40s) ... even that presently exempt assets (IRAs) might be taxed some day. Did I mention that most of the money was in gold shares, and went into gold coins instead. I've done well in gold over the past ten years ... wish I could say that for the ten years before then
Old 10-28-2007, 11:27 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

I am suspicious of the long-term non taxable status of Roths. I think Uncle Sam has probably gone overboard in pushing ROTH, and in the not too distant future will be desperate for revenue sources.

Here is a prediction within the next 15 years, ROTH IRA earning and/or withdrawal will be treated like Tax Exempt Bond Interest for Social Security purposes.

Currently the interest earned from Tax Exempt bonds is treated as income, in order to determine how much of your social security benefits are subject to taxation. If Congress can make that change no reason that can't treat Roth withdrawals the same way.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:00 AM   #16

Serious tax question without meaning to cast aspersions on anyone:

I'll admit I'm young, so I don't have any first hand experience on the following question.

For folks suggesting that Roths, for example, might lose some of their tax exempt status in the coming years or decades, are there examples from recent U.S. tax law history that suggest the government might take away favorable tax treatment of these type accounts. In other words, if one were to act in reliance on the promise from the government that a certain account type (or other long-term, non-revocable money decision) would be tax exempt/tax favored going forward, has one been disappointed by the government changing their position after the fact? Have promises been broken?

I'm drawing blanks right now.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:05 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin View Post
For folks suggesting that Roths, for example, might lose some of their tax exempt status in the coming years or decades, are there examples from recent U.S. tax law history that suggest the government might take away favorable tax treatment of these type accounts. In other words, if one were to act in reliance on the promise from the government that a certain account type (or other long-term, non-revocable money decision) would be tax exempt/tax favored going forward, has one been disappointed by the government changing their position after the fact? Have promises been broken?
Well, the assumption for decades was always that Social Security income would not be taxable. And these days, many recipients pay income tax on 50% to 85% of what they receive.

Personally I believe that if Congress decides that Roths are too good a deal for taxpayers, they'll simply abolish them and repeal the enabling legislation. Anything already in Roth IRAs and 401Ks would likely be grandfathered but no additional money could be added.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:57 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Well, the assumption for decades was always that Social Security income would not be taxable. And these days, many recipients pay income tax on 50% to 85% of what they receive.
Yup, and SS taxes were paid with after-tax dollars (just like Roth's). Also Medicare taxes (unlike SS) are on one's entire income (no cap), and the part B premiums are now being means-tested.
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin View Post
I'm drawing blanks right now.
They won't change the rules..directly. My guess, is they'll add
roths to AMT calculation or do it like SS they tax the amount
over some limit. Understand if we ever were to go to a national
sales tax, your Roth's tax free status is null & void.
I would recommend have some in Roths, some in regular IRAs,
some in taxable accounts, so you are tax diversified.
TJ
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:45 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
I would recommend have some in Roths, some in regular IRAs, some in taxable accounts, so you are tax diversified.
TJ
I can't make up my mind either......