Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-27-2015, 08:24 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
You must live right then. It has been a huge problem around here with boat engines, lawnmower engines, rototiller engines and all sorts of other small engines.
I can't imagine how 'living right', or even luck would have any effect on my engines for decades.

I don't know, but I suspect that ethanol is a scapegoat for all the regular old problems that people face with small engines. Mercury in vaccines, fluoride in water, GMO, ethanol - all the usual suspects.

If people are letting that fuel sit for extended periods of time, and exposing it to moisture, maybe the absorbed water causes an occasional problem. But that is so easily dealt with by keeping the can sealed, and using the engine once in a while. I said, I do try to start mine a few times during winter (5 months between cuttings), but I've also missed doing that and no problem.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2015, 09:54 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I pay $40 per month (once a month is all we need to mow in drought laden CA) for someone to do this for me. That is at least 30 minutes of my weekend time I can use to do nothing or something I prefer/enjoy to do. $1 for each minute of my "preferred" life? That's ultra cheap in my book.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:00 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Probably not saving much if you're removing 10-15% of the volume of the gas you bought.

If you can pay less than an 11% premium for ethanol free gas versus E10, then you're paying the same amount per gallon of gas. And you aren't potentially dumping water into your gas tank.
Most of the info I can find on ethanol fuel shows mileage decreases by 5% to as much as 10% when you use 10% ethanol fuel... Never made much sense to me why we required ethanol in fuel when you consider that.
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:21 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkTinkerer View Post
Most of the info I can find on ethanol fuel shows mileage decreases by 5% to as much as 10% when you use 10% ethanol fuel... Never made much sense to me why we required ethanol in fuel when you consider that.
Those of us in urban areas with air quality problems do benefit from E-10 , as it lowers certain emissions CO ?. We originally had MTBE as the "Miracle" additive, then the EPA determined MTBE was poisoning reservoirs mainly via 2 stroke boat engines , and groundwater contamination from spills/leaks. Ya, it theoretically does lower mileage, Gallon of straight Ethanol IIRC is like 60% of the heat value of straight unleaded. So 5 - 10% lower mileage sounds about right.

So now it's E-10. I'm not even going to touch the issue of Ethanol and the "Corn Lobby"
Old 04-27-2015, 11:12 AM   #45

My Sears tractor has been runnin' great. Got it 5 yrs ago & still looks good too. Actually don't mind drivin' it around to cut the grass. My 45-60min of Zen
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:54 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Those of us in urban areas with air quality problems do benefit from E-10 , as it lowers certain emissions CO ?. We originally had MTBE as the "Miracle" additive, then the EPA determined MTBE was poisoning reservoirs mainly via 2 stroke boat engines , and groundwater contamination from spills/leaks. Ya, it theoretically does lower mileage, Gallon of straight Ethanol IIRC is like 60% of the heat value of straight unleaded. So 5 - 10% lower mileage sounds about right.

So now it's E-10. I'm not even going to touch the issue of Ethanol and the "Corn Lobby"
Quick check shows that is a small advantage 25% reduction but I can't find if that is per gallon or typical per mile. Didn't know that! Thanks!
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:27 PM   #47

A few weeks ago, I went out to mow my lawn. I gave a pull on the rope starter and the mower started, but the rope also broke at the same time. I gave a little thought to buying a new mower, but then decided to check YouTube to see if it was repairable. I found lots of good videos, and it looked like a pretty simple job so I ordered a new starter rope from Amazon. When it arrived, I removed the cover so I could remove the starter assembly to replace the rope. I was surprised to see that it was riveted onto the the engine (the one I saw on the video as attached with screws). Well, I drilled out the rivets but wasn't sure how I would reattach the assembly. I had never owned or used a rivet gun. I then went down to Lowes and picked up a rivet gun and several different sizes of rivets. It was pretty simple to use the gun to reattach the assembly. I had no idea that this was such an inexpensive and useful tool! Now, I'm back to mowing and looking for anything else I can rivet back together.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:47 PM   #48

LOL, funny thread, I can relate. I can't even imagine paying someone to cut my lawn. Even if I could, I'm sure they wouldn't do it to my standards.

Anyway, some 20+ years and one house ago, I bought an old sears riding tractor from a friend for a few hundred, tinkered around with it, bought some parts, and got it running. Sears was, and is, always good about making parts available. I cut the grass, then pulled a lawn sweeper behind it (no bagging option on this one) and I had a 36", single stage snow blower attachment for it. I couldn't get the belt engage clutch on the blower to work right, so you had to unhook the belt, start it, let it warm up, shut it off, then put the belt back on. Thus, when the engine was running, so was the blower attachment.

I ran that old tractor for probably 8 years in New England, cutting grass and clearing snow on a 150' long driveway. But it started breaking down more and more often, not starting, etc. And near the end, I swear, I had to stop each time midway during mows, to add oil. One day, cutting the grass, and in a particularly ornery mood, something busted free from the 2 blade mower deck, a belt, some other parts and sparks came flying out from under my feet. I shut the tractor down, went in the house, got my keys and wallet, and went down to Home Depot and dropped $4000 on a new John Deere tractor, with powered vac deck, bags and a 42" wide blower attachment (which I have since sold and bought a Dodge Ram plow truck).

But the real amazing part of the story was I actually sold the old tractor and attachments for more than I paid for it originally to some guy who was really "in to" these old sears tractors........!
doneat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:27 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I found the queen of my lawn mower fleet, a 1999 two-stroke 6.5hp Lawn Boy
I have three of these beasts, one gets used here, one at my 95 year old Mom's house (selling the house but not that Lawn Boy) and one for parts (cheaper than buying most anything).

If the Lawn Boys don't cut it, I get my 1965 Gravely walkbehind with the 30 inch deck and 10 pound brush blade unlimbered.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:55 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunthewiser View Post
I have three of these beasts, one gets used here, one at my 95 year old Mom's house (selling the house but not that Lawn Boy) and one for parts (cheaper than buying most anything).

If the Lawn Boys don't cut it, I get my 1965 Gravely walkbehind with the 30 inch deck and 10 pound brush blade unlimbered.
Those old Lawnboys were indestructible unless you put a rock throgh the cast aluminum deck. I recall one that was run without oil in the gas. I shot some SAE 30 weight oil into the spark plug hole to temporarily boost the compression and started it and let it run through a tank full of mixed gas to loosen up the piston rings, which were seized in their lands. After that, it ran fine.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:17 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I pay $40 per month (once a month is all we need to mow in drought laden CA) for someone to do this for me. That is at least 30 minutes of my weekend time I can use to do nothing or something I prefer/enjoy to do. $1 for each minute of my "preferred" life? That's ultra cheap in my book.

It takes me about 45 minutes to mow, and another 45 minutes to trim/edge. And most of July-September is high 90s - low 100s. Unfortunately, we have to mow every 1-2 weeks, at $25 a pop. But it's worth it to me.

There are no ethanol-free stations anywhere near me, and the lawnmower gas they sell at Lowe's is about $28/gal. Have used ethanol-gasoline in cars, boats, and lawn tools for many years. Can't say I can identify any significant issues attributable to gasohol...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:53 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

My grandpa used to take me with him when he went on ethanol runs. This guy up in the mountains made EPA certified and approved ethanol, strictly as a fuel additive, mind you. But my grandpa, being a clever guy, would drink the stuff. And apparently lots of other folks would drink this stuff, as hard to believe as that might be.

As far as I can tell, a swig out of the ole ethanol jar for the occasional cough or other serious malady or affliction was never harmful though it mostly offered nothing more than palliative relief. If it's fit for human consumption, I can't imagine it would hurt engines. Engines don't even have livers, so cirrhosis couldn't be a problem.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:28 PM   #53

If you enjoy mowing, you can continue to do so. I hate mowing and am happy to pay someone so that I can sip another glass of wine.

Many people do LBYM all their lives until they die, or can't enjoy what they LBYM'd all the years for. They won't or can't spend money to buy fun, convenience, time etc.. Isn't that the real cost of living a life time of thrift for some (not all)?
Old 04-27-2015, 06:24 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
........ I hate mowing and am happy to pay someone so that I can sip another glass of wine.................
Oh, you don't have to choose one over the other. A good riding mower has at least one cup holder
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:25 PM   #55

Hmmm LBYM true but I did take the family to Hawaii last June and the Bahamas the year before. We save money so that we can use it for fun stuff...

rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:04 PM   #56

Get to know your neighbor kids. Pay them $25 to do it. Just the extra space in the garage and nothing to maintain is worth more than that each week to me.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:53 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Many people do LBYM all their lives until they die, or can't enjoy what they LBYM'd all the years for. They won't or can't spend money to buy fun, convenience, time etc.. Isn't that the real cost of living a life time of thrift for some (not all)?
Now you got me thinking.......maybe I'll get rid of the mower, hire the lawn out, and go buy my self the Corvette is am constantly dreaming about having again!
Old 04-27-2015, 08:34 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Oh, you don't have to choose one over the other. A good riding mower has at least one cup holder
No one should drink wine in a cup. When they include a wine glass holder in my electric push lawnmower (I live in CA where lawns are the size of a large motorized lawnmower one can ride about), I will reconsider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Now you got me thinking.......maybe I'll get rid of the mower, hire the lawn out, and go buy my self the Corvette is am constantly dreaming about having again!
I was thinking to replace my organic lawns with synthetic putting green to save water. At least, I can do the back yard ones without my neighbors raising eyebrows. I can save water, and practice putting at my leisure.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:03 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Why keep dreaming about it. Buy the Corvette !
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:58 AM   #60

Quote:

Keep in mind that frugality is an excellent virtue in an ancestor.