The death of 'fair and square' retail pricing...

Interesting comments about JCP on this thread.

I am one who likes JCP and have bought some clothing over the past few months at amazing savings. I order online and have it shipped to the store for free shipping. Driving to the mall on a weekday morning to pick up my order is great. Often the employees in the store outnumber the customers at that time of day and the parking lot has lots of space. What's not to like about that.

JCP's new pricing strategy was a bit confusing at first, but not that big of a change except for the way they spin it. Best prices are still clearance prices and they update or reduce those prices on 2 Fridays per month. Each month they have special prices or sales on certain merchandise. They advertise all this to me in e-mails every day or two.

For the past 5 or more years I don't often find merchandise in the stores to buy as many retailers have greatly reduced the amount of stuff stocked. This is not just JCP so I am quite disappointed if I go shopping as often I can't find what I want locally.

I have my clothes down to a pretty easy automatic process. The only time I shop other than to replace jeans or cargo pants or socks is right after or right before Christmas, when I have found some beautiful cashmere sweaters plenty cheap at Macy's. I also buy most kitchen stuff I need there. One thing I hate about Macy's is that they are always changing the location of their displays, in clothing, not so much housewares. If I am trying to keep tabs on the sweaters, I like to pop in to see how cheap they have become, and buy if my buy-point has been reached. With them always messing with the display locations I sometimes just give up and go outside.

This spring I wanted to buy a v-neck acrylic sweater, so I can wear it all summer without any concern about moths. Couldn't even find one downtown, but I got a really nice one on Amazon. I think it is Docker's brand. I also bought a few workout pieces at the recent REI sale. I wanted that Nike Dry-Fit, which feels good on my skin and is also very easy for me to hand wash after wearing so I am ready to go again the next day.

Ha

I don't have a JCP, but I think the campaign failed because people like to feel like they got a deal and the ad campaign gave the impression that they would never have sales - just everyday, low prices. That would cross them off my list.

I hate to shop, but when I do I am looking for value at the lowest price possible. We usually shop the clearance racks at Kohls for DH. We can usually find Dockers or a similar quality brand for a great price combined with a 30% off coupon that they send me quite regularly in the mail. For me, it's usually a Land's End catalog or Ross or Marshal's (usually Ross). We have to really need something to go clothes shopping though because we both hate it.

As far as Best Buy is concerned, we avoid it if we can; but since it is the only electronics store where we live, there are times when we have little choice if we want to fondle the product before we purchase it. My son used to work there. The cashiers were required to push their "black tie warranty"; but when someone had a problem, he said that Best Buy would try to avoid honoring it. I can't remember the last time that I bought something there.

Now they plan to eliminate check out counters and clerks.

JCPenney to get rid of check-out counters and clerks

In other words, it will be like shopping at Walmart except for all those helpful Walmart employees.
Last one to lose their job, please turn out the lights. Seriously, how the hell can an economy sustain itself when an ever-growing number of people are thrown out of work by this stuff?

If this is dependent on the migration of their "traditional" data center (if there is such a thing these days) to one based entirely on Oracle (and outsourced to Oracle) it might take a little longer and cost more than planned.

I think most shoppers would rather buy a 'sale' item.

Vendor A: Camera XYZ that costs $300 (not on sale)

Vendor B: Camera XYZ on sale for $335 (huge sale this week only!!)

Shoppers love those sales! lol

Meanwhile, some grocery stores are getting rid of some of their self-service registers: Self-checkouts on decline nationally (video) - news-herald.com
I LOVED this comment from the article: :ROFLMAO:
We need to stop using self check outs. I always use a line where jobs are. I always get my money from the bank teller, I always use the line at gaint eagle where there is a person, Gas is alittle hard, but I will go in and buy something, and I will always pay my bills by mail. By mail some one has to delivery it, some one has to open it and some one has to read it and some one has to put it in the computer. STOP USING SELF CHECK OUTS AND PAY BY MAIL. Maybe there will be more jobs.

The same could be said of the loom and the cotton gin. Technology changes where the jobs are. Someone has to design the machine, install it, maintain it, etc.

at some point it wouldn't surprise me if a retailer announced (say) a 2% discount for self-checkout to try to encourage consumers to allow them to slash jobs.
I keep hoping there is will be a time when self-checkout brings savings to the consumer! If there is no discount for self-checkout, why would I want to bag my own groceries? And self checkout still requires a cashier to oversee the lanes and help get things unstuck from the computer.

The response that self-checkout keeps prices low is a poor one. I have always felt that bagging my own groceries deserves a reduction in prices for my effort. Somehow that hasn't happened yet, so I stand in the regular lines where someone else will bag the goods!

The same could be said of the loom and the cotton gin. Technology changes where the jobs are. Someone has to design the machine, install it, maintain it, etc.
Agreed. The problem is that "creative destruction" just doesn't work as well in the age of technology and globalization.

Displaced buggy whip makers used to be able to go to work for Henry Ford. Displaced manufacturing jobs of the 1970s were replaced by electronics assembly in the 1980s. But now the jobs are replaced by machines and/or software, and the the obsolete jobs that *are* being replaced with other humans often (a) require *fewer* of them than the jobs that were lost, or (b) are being created in China, India and elsewhere.

It is sort of interesting that a board full of introverts would prefer face to face interactions with retail folks :).

It is sort of interesting that a board full of introverts would prefer face to face interactions with retail folks :).
Frankly, it's not that I prefer it. I am a technogeek. But I'm also a technogeek who fears the impact that overreliance on technology seems to be having on the average household trying to earn a living.

I much prefer the self-checkout. We used them right away.

We usually buy fewer items than most customers per visit, so the self-checkout lines usually mean we get out much faster.

We'd prefer to interact with a machine than a human stranger. :)

We've been bagging our own groceries for the past 15+ years. 15 years ago, except for Whole Foods, the regular checkout person/bagger had no clue what to do when you brought your own bags to the store nor how to pack them. My husband started bagging and usually does it now even when going through a regular line.

Last edited:
Not the same people who are doing check-out at Walmart.

Ha

ziggy29 said:
Last one to lose their job, please turn out the lights. Seriously, how the hell can an economy sustain itself when an ever-growing number of people are thrown out of work by this stuff?

I wonder the same thing. Efficiency isn't good for everyone.

I keep hoping there is will be a time when self-checkout brings savings to the consumer! If there is no discount for self-checkout, why would I want to bag my own groceries? And self checkout still requires a cashier to oversee the lanes and help get things unstuck from the computer.

The response that self-checkout keeps prices low is a poor one. I have always felt that bagging my own groceries deserves a reduction in prices for my effort. Somehow that hasn't happened yet, so I stand in the regular lines where someone else will bag the goods!

I do not think it was supposed to bring savings to the customer... the amount saved has to be small. I think it brings convenience that I like...

At my local grocery, they have 4 self checkout lanes where two full service ones would be located... with one person there... if we are only getting a few items, we can get through in a few minutes... if we went to a line with a person, at least 5 and maybe 10 minutes... even the low item line has a number of people waiting in line.... and if it is closed... you are behind someone who is trying out for the coupon show on how much they can buy and not pay anything....

Nope, count me in as someone who likes the self checkout lanes....

This is definitely part of the continuous effort by business to keep prices down and margins high. It would be positive for us if the displaced workers were returning to the labor force and engaging in equal or higher value activity. When they join the U-6 unemployed, the long term cost is high and there may be no benefit.

I don't have a JCP, but I think the campaign failed because people like to feel like they got a deal and the ad campaign gave the impression that they would never have sales - just everyday, low prices. That would cross them off my list.

JCP just sold their concept wrong. They now have 3 tiered pricing. Their regular price is 35% - 50% lower than what their regular price used to be so in reality you are getting a sale price even at their new regular price. Then they have their monthly mark downs - these are 10% - 25% lower again. and then they finally have their new category - Best Price (Best Value), which is their final mark down - it is 50% off again or more - now you are paying 70% - 80% off of what used to be their regular price.

The whole concept is great - it was just a terrible marketing campaign... They are kind of the WalMart (no offense) of the middle class chain stores... I still shop their regularly and hope this does not hurt them.

I never use the self-checkouts. They rarely work properly and can be incredibly exasperating. More importantly, they take away cashier jobs. I'd rather pay a few more pennies for peanut butter and keep someone employed.

I have tried to dissuade the young wife from doing so as well, but she never listens.

I like the self-checkouts and use them if the software and hardware works well and if I only have a few things. I usually get out of the store faster that way.

To exacerbate matters, if it's convenient I even bring in a cart from the parking lot when I come into the store. I'm just a job killer I guess.

I was very happy when HD fixed their self checkout. The old scanners absolutely would not read the very tiny UPCs (on copper pipe, etc). After a few tries the checkstand gal informed me the self-help scanners wouldn't work on those. Very nice.

Back
Top Bottom