Join Early Retirement Today

The End of "Everything Bubble"
Old 06-18-2022, 09:18 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

The End of "Everything Bubble"

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/17/o...foroohar.html?

An interesting conversation with the financial journalist Rana Foroohar. It's a broad discussion about decades of financial macro policies, the current pivoting and possible future direction for US and the world. A few highlights for me:

There was a lot of inflation. It was just asset inflation. And we understand asset inflation as a boon, not as an economic problem.

This is definitely going to be the Asian century. We’re going to get cut out of that growth. And not because of anything that a U.S. policymakers have done but because the Chinese policymakers have decided they’re going to own their own supply chains. They call it the dual circulation economy but basically it’s about producing local for local

What we need is to make some decisions as a society to have an income-led economy rather than an asset bubble-led economy. [She brings up Germany as an example of such economy] In 10, 20, or 50 years America may look a lot more like an emerging market country because we didn’t make these decisions.

She does not say "this time it's different" although one can argue that predicting the end of neoliberalism and globalization is just that. Either way I think these are interesting opinions that are worth sharing and discussing.
tenant13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2022, 09:58 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Take a guess at what country has government spending at 43% of GDP. (and it's not China)
Old 06-18-2022, 10:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenant13 View Post
Thanks for sharing some points, I would like to read the article, but once again at the end of the free read limit......
Happyras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 10:12 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyras View Post
Thanks for sharing some points, I would like to read the article, but once again at the end of the free read limit......
The interview is on a podcast episode of the Ezra Klein Show, dated 6/17
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 10:14 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

The crypto bitcoin bubble is crashing today now $18,000
ExPatKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 10:25 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPatKiwi View Post
Who was it that said "What, me worry?"

Hint:

what me worry.jpeg
Old 06-18-2022, 10:57 AM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

NYTimes Paywall

Happywras, you can get around the paywall by using Firefox as your browser and installing "no scripts." I also think you can read it in Firefox in incognito mode.
wannabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 11:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The interview is on a podcast episode of the Ezra Klein Show, dated 6/17
It's worth the time to listen, IMHO. Very interesting.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 11:43 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPatKiwi View Post
We will know the market had bottomed when crypto is at zero. I do like the accelerated pace.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 11:45 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

This is an openspotify link to Ezra Klein Show, 6/17/22.
https://open.spotify.com/episode/3qW...89af75e61f41dd
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 02:27 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Thanks to MichaelB for the podcast link.

As far as the content, I did not find it very useful. There was little to nothing new. Demonize globalization, financial engineering, a certain former president and capitalism. No solutions or alternatives proposed.
Old 06-18-2022, 02:31 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That which shall not be named is in the $17,XXX area.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 05:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post

As far as the content, I did not find it very useful. There was little to nothing new. Demonize globalization, financial engineering, a certain former president and capitalism. No solutions or alternatives proposed.
I would call their commentary a "constructive criticism" rather than demonizing but we can agree to disagree on that assessment. As to the solutions, wouldn't you say that their suggestion to rebuild local production capacity , limiting financial engineering and rebuilding middle class (aka consumers) by income redistribution (taxation) is at least an attempt to provide solutions?

What they are trying to say is that we should turn back from the neoliberal economic policies that have been implemented by Reagan and every administration that followed (both Rep and Dem) and go back to some sort of New Deal 2.0. We may not like what they are suggesting but that is the solution on the table.
tenant13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 05:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post

Thanks. Glad I didn't waste my time listening.
GenXguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 07:21 PM   #15

Quote:
I would call their commentary a "constructive criticism" rather than demonizing but we can agree to disagree on that assessment. As to the solutions, wouldn't you say that their suggestion to rebuild local production capacity , limiting financial engineering and rebuilding middle class (aka consumers) by income redistribution (taxation) is at least an attempt to provide solutions?

What they are trying to say is that we should turn back from the neoliberal economic policies that have been implemented by Reagan and every administration that followed (both Rep and Dem) and go back to some sort of New Deal 2.0. We may not like what they are suggesting but that is the solution on the table.
No.

This part I agree with:
Quote:
Her view is that a decade-plus of loose monetary policy has been the economic equivalent of a “sugar high,” which kept the prices of stocks, housing and other assets going up and up and up, even as the fundamentals of the economy have been eroding. This “everything bubble,” as she calls it, was bound to burst — and that’s exactly what she thinks is happening right now.
But one has to ask of how and why we've had loose monetary policy? Because we've become a society where economic downturns aren't supposed to happen, where companies are not supposed to maximize profits, where any talk of trying to beware of supply lines controlled by potential adversaries was looked at as crazy nationalism, and where we've had every increasing deficit spending and unfounded never-to-be-touched social programs, and thinking that we need to have undeclared wars and troops all over the world...all at the time where our kids are lacking fundamental math and science skills and we import some of our best technical talent. Instead, our best talent wants to work doing financial engineering instead of engineering of plants and advanced manufacturing.

The above is a recipe for disaster and we are nearing the edge of the precipice, one a long long time in the making.

Yes, I know the above is generalizing and perhaps a rant.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 07:23 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

No "sort of new deal 2.0" was defined. So I guess I would say it was long on "constructive criticism" and short on alternative better paths.

We already have a massively progressive tax system where 45%+ of Americans pay no income tax and the top 1% pay almost 40 percent of income tax. If redistributive taxation was the answer I guess we are already doing it.

We already have ESG investing for those who dislike financial engineering. Suggesting debt issued to buy back stock should have been used to combat climate change or other ills is naive.

Some of what they said was self-refuting. Paraphrasing "meat is too cheap because the price does not reflect the suffering of the animals, since the animals are paying for it". However desirable in the eyes of some, how does higher priced meat help the middle and lower classes once again?

Re-shoring of supply chains must happen for reasons now obvious to everyone. No news flash there.

But I certainly welcome people to read or listen and draw their own conclusions.
Old 06-18-2022, 07:37 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

We just need to go back to what made America great...free markets. We have the largest government in the world that is destroying our country.
jurgs01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 07:18 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I listened, but just in the background. I'll try again.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 07:27 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
and rebuilding middle class (aka consumers) by income redistribution (taxation)
I suspect we'd end up taxing the very people we'd be trying to re-build. They always seem to be the ones left with the tab.
Old 06-19-2022, 08:57 AM   #20

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Porky warning 1.jpg (70.9 KB, 260 views)