Join Early Retirement Today

Re: "The flashback budget"
Old 05-04-2007, 11:08 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I was alive in the 70s... for 3 months.
My wife was alive in the 70s... for 48 hours.

Back to the lurking hole I came from and continuing to learn from all you much wiser people
Deetso is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2007, 11:41 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

On a related note, up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-B-A-start anybody?

That sounds kinda like the code you use to arm Tommy Vercetti with a bunch of weapons in "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City", but it could also be the code you used to make Smurfette lose her dress on the old ColecoVision game!
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:14 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Well, I'll always be "born in the 80's". I'll just start feeling old when I start seeing these "born in the 90's" kids growing up.

And of course I got the grasshopper reference, Nords-san! That's an 80's reference!
Well, then you did not get it... it is from the original Kung Fu in the 70s...

Why is Caine called "grasshopper"?
This question comes up every single week in the Search. One can only assume it is being asked by people who never saw the pilot in which the very first time Caine meets Master Po, he says that to be blind must be the worst affliction. But Master Po shows the young Caine that he can even hear the grasshopper at the young Caine's feet, which Caine couldn't hear.

http://www.veggiedude.com/kungfu/ (many more available)..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:19 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
He probably doen't know what this is either...
Quote:
And of course I got the grasshopper reference, Nords-san! That's an 80's reference!
Eh, what Texas Proud said. "Kung Fu" went off the air in 1975, you young whippersnapper... "Karate Kid" Ralph Macchio was probably still in diapers... sheesh, kids today...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kung_Fu_(TV_series)

BTW I had to watch KF during babysitting & petcare jobs because parentally it was considered "too violent" for my 12-to-14-year-old psyche.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 01:10 PM   #25

I'm foiled by those much older and much wiser again. Guess that makes me the grasshopper here. (although I have seen re-runs of the old kung fu w/ David Carradine, if that's the reference you are referring to)

One day, when you guys are old and frail, I'll finally be able to snatch the pebble from the master's hand!
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:26 PM   #26

Quote:
One day, when you guys are old and frail, I'll finally be able to snatch the pebble from the master's hand!
No No Noooo! You don't want to snatch a pebble; you should snatch our Vanguard (low fee) funds. Geez.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:14 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
No No Noooo! You don't want to snatch a pebble; you should snatch our Vanguard (low fee) funds. Geez.
You see I tricked you. You were guarding those worthless pebbles while I was snatching your low fee Vanguard Admiral shares.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:49 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
Quote:
You see I tricked you. You were guarding those worthless pebbles while I was snatching your low fee Vanguard Admiral shares.
Guys, guys... you're missing the point. The pebble never existed in the first place-- it's an existentialist metaphor!

There are plenty of pebbles for everyone... no need to snatch them.

Clearly we all need to watch more "Kung Fu" episodes from the collector's DVD edition.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 05-04-2007, 04:54 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

Guys, guys... you're missing the point. The pebble never existed in the first place--
Once again the insidious effects of long-term radiation exposure rears it's ugly head.

Old 05-04-2007, 05:08 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Once again the insidious effects of long-term radiation exposure rears it's ugly head.
No matter how good it looks, you can only watch "Road House" and "Terminator" so many times when you're patrolling the Sea of Okhotsk...

Old 05-04-2007, 05:14 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
No matter how good it looks, you can only watch "Road House" and "Terminator" so many times when you're patrolling the Sea of Okhotsk...
Hmmmm. Meanwhile, the SACumcised steely-eyed killers sitting in on Alert waiting for the horn to go off signaling the start of WWIII were watching "Dr. Strangelove" and "Young Frankenstein"....

Old 05-04-2007, 06:26 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
That would make me really jealous. Except I have Castle Greyskull, Snake Mountain (Skeletor's castle), He-man bedsheets, and a ton of other He-man stuff my mother saved from when I was a kid.
I recall having Thunderbirds sheets, but I was born in '74 so you might have been too young to know about them. I liked He-man, but looking back on things now, why would I want to sleep on a bed with a muscled dude when I could be sleeping on top of She-Ra!?

Quote:
Uhh, Super Mario Bros?
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:23 PM   #33

Quote:
Jane Fonda? or Pong?
Old 05-04-2007, 09:29 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nope, don't know that one. How about "Ctrl+K D"?

samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:54 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

The Police had a song I can believe in, "Born in the 50s"

Never trust anyone under 40 is my motto.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:44 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Hmmmm. Meanwhile, the SACumcised steely-eyed killers sitting in on Alert waiting for the horn to go off signaling the start of WWIII were watching "Dr. Strangelove" and "Young Frankenstein"....
Ah, the black humor of mutual assured destruction. "No fighting in the War Room!" was our unofficial command motto.

I don't know what it was like in the silos, but whenever an Emergency Action Message arrived on USS JAMES MONROE (even if it was clearly just a comms check) the OOD had to announce "Alert ONE, alert ONE" on the shipwide PA system. Upon hearing that announcement, we pissed off highly-trained & responsive officers had to drop whatever we were holding at the moment and rush up to the top-secret spaces to validate the supremely critical news of KNEECAP's weekend plans strategic importance to the nation's security. For extra bonus points this was usually accomplished between 2 AM and 4 AM. Regardless of my perception of the system's utility, CO's careers were made or broken by their response time & accuracy. Let's just say that the officers were under considerable pressure from the executive suite to make them* look good.

Unbeknownst to the wardroom a couple of more "experienced" pranksters crewmen had told a young sailor that when he heard the "Alert ONE" announcement it meant we were goin' to war & ripple-launching 16 big ones, followed by the "Miller Time" jingle. Others had suggested that he should be skeptical of these assurances (especially the ones uttered by engineering nukes) so he didn't really believe that.

He didn't believe it, that is, until he heard the announcement and saw the crowd of panicked officers burst out of the wardroom shouting "Gangway!!", scampering pell-mell into Radio, and slamming the door shut. Activity on the ship seemed to screech to a halt while the Missile Division raced to their spaces to get ready for launch parameters. From the looks on the wardroom's faces he knew his worst fears had materialized.

We almost had to MEDEVAC the guy before we sorted things out.

From then on all cryptic PA system announcements were thoroughly explained to the new crewmembers before we got underway.

*The executive suite, not the officers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc
The Police had a song I can believe in, "Born in the 50s"
I wonder what all "The Who"'s grandkids think when they hear the lyric "Hope I die before I get old!"

Old 05-05-2007, 01:38 PM   #37

Quote:

To kill the suspense, I'll reveal the secret - it's the code to get 30 lives (instead of the standard 3 lives) in Konami arcade-style games released in the late 80's and early 1990's. Contra and Lifeforce are two games that come to mind for the Nintendo Entertainment System (8 bit). Anyone guy who was 8 to 18 years old in the late 80's should know this code by heart.

And I thought older folks knew everything... You guys were probably doing more important things than saving the world from hostile invading space aliens around 1988, huh?
Old 05-05-2007, 04:26 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
Nope, don't know that one. How about "Ctrl+K D"?
Ctrl+ K D = "Save my work and exit" in Wordstar. Yep, the good old days of the C: prompt and DOS. Wordstar wasn't very forgiving--if you selected "Exit" it would rapidly comply, without offfering users the chance to save their work. I got burned several times.

samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 04:29 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Only 3% of the respondents said iPods were a necessity, I am sure that 20% of the 70s respondents said that 8 tracks were a necessity.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:29 PM   #40
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc
Only 3% of the respondents said iPods were a necessity, I am sure that 20% of the 70s respondents said that 8 tracks were a necessity.
I don't have an iPod and never had an 8 track. I rarely play the few CDs I have. Quiet is a wonderful thing.