The good old USA and medical costs

I'll repeat: the US is already spending public money per capita (to cover a few) equivalent to systems in Switzerland and Japan (that cover everybody).

Why can't those public dollars translate into basic care, catastrophic care, SOME kind of care, for everyone? We are all paying already. I paid taxes in, yet got not one dime of health care out.. had to pay for private insurance at $700/month. That's a figure many taxpayers cannot afford. So we have almost 20% of the population without insurance.. many without access to insurance.

How can anyone defend this state of affairs as rational?

Well I know I can't. :)

As HaHa said earlier, it goes back to that old "America, love it or leave it" attitude.

Also, people believe that even if our healthcare is more expensive, it is "better" than what you get in countries that provide some form of universal care.

If the USA is so great, what don't we demand the best of everything? Healthcare for all and darn it, make it the best healthcare in the world. :police:

(This is political ;) )

Our healthcare is so good, that old people are living too long !
Too long? yes, they end up in extremely expensive care facilities and use up their life savings living a very low quality of life.
My Dad is 89, living in an assisted care home, a nice place, but of course, they're draining him of his money. His mind is ok, but still not good enough to have understood and picked out a prescription drug plan on his own. My sister had to do that for him. He remembers very little, except what happened 30 years ago.
My Mother died in a nursing home; her last few years were spent just having the health care system keep her alive.
Is living a long time with a low quality of life good ?
That's why I think our health care system is too good and too expensive.

Rustic23 said:
. . .You can get data on both sides of this, and most of it means exactly what the person quoting them wants it to mean. . . .

That's not what I'm seeing. It seems to me that all the data is pointing to the fact that Americans pay more and get less and that the major contributor to cost is forms and filing costs. The arguments against these points seems to be entirely by anecdotal evidence at best. What data am I missing? :confused:

I don't know where you got your facts...Rush Oxytocin Limbaugh says that people from other countries that offer SOCIALIZED healthcare ALL come here to the USA to get the best health care in the world..thats my story and I'm sticking to it...no matter what the facts are [/sarcasm]

I think there is some truth to foreigners coming here (a least the Mayo Clinic and some of the "destinations of last resort"). I have been treated at the Mayo for a relatively rare condition and there are several Canadian license plates in the parking lots and folks from other countries there). I really doubt there is many foreigners at the local HMO clinic though ;)

Rustic23, you're so full of sh*t!

That has to be one of the most assinine posts I've read at this site.

We have world class medical care in London ON and everywhere else in Canada.

Children dying. Give me a freakin' break!

Rustic,

How do you work hard and earn the right to health care?

Rustic23 said:
This thread seems to run back and forth as to what “The Government” should provide and if “The Government” provides health care the care will it be either better or worse than some other people living under another government that does not pay as much.

You can get data on both sides of this, and most of it means exactly what the person quoting them wants it to mean. Without an impartial study of the data most of what people are quoting is worthless! Example: Why has the cost of medical care risen? Lawyers, Paper work, greedy doctors, more third party payers? You can find data to support all or none of these, pick your poison pick you side and TYPE. In reality it won’t solve the problem.

Dose Canada’s socialized medicine work better than the pseudo capitalist US system? If you are the guy who can not afford the procedure in the US but would get it for free in Canada the answer is YES, if you are the parent of a child that dies while waiting for a transplant in Canada, NO.   

As I posted in another reply, the government, in this country is us. Howard wrote once, ‘Shouldn’t health care be a right?’, my reply was why do people get off thinking they have a right to what I have worked hard to get?

Let me guess, a Rush Limbaugh listener?

Tell me, are por people allowed to drive on the roads that "you worked so hard to pay for" are poor people entitiled to due process in a court of law? who do you think pays for that? Should the fire department respond to a house if the person is poor and pays little or no taxes? what about police or military protection...if Korea decides to invade a poor community, should the military bother to respond?

I'll have to be a bit more careful about my "slight" political leanings getting into the forum! It is interesting to see the different politics poking out from under the postings though. Hey, that's why they make more than one flavor of ice cream... a lot of good food for thought anyway... Can't say that I agree with all/most of it, but interesting none the less.

I havent got the slightest interest in politics and honestly, I just see different perspectives from people with different viewpoints and information.

I did ask a few posts ago what brought you to your conclusions...

To tell you the truth, I didn't ponder over it for too long. Fairly obvious - to me only maybe - that the litigious time we are living in is driving a lot of costs up, health care only being one of them. But, the lawyers are doing well.

One definition of Politics: The often internally conflicting interrelationships among people in a society

my drink's getting low...

Fair enough. You were a bit persistent in the beliefs, so I wanted to give you a fair shake at offering up the thought process and data that led to your opinion. Maybe there was something I was missing or a line of thinking that would change my opinion.

I looked some more; lowest data from a well published source says that malpractice runs .56% of the total medical costs of the US; high end was 2%. Lowest data estimating "defensive care", ie doctors ordering extra tests to avoid being wrong, at roughly 2%; high end is 4%.

So this is a 2.56% to 6% of the total medical "bill" problem.

Most of the study information I found shows that these costs might actually be declining year on year over the last 3 years.

Most of the study information I found concluded that the biggest problem with malpractice costs was the 2-5% of doctors who create 50-55% of the malpractice claims. Apparently the 'system' fails almost completely in policing and resolving "problem doctors". So perhaps the lawyers are less the culprit here in this minority issue, but hack doctors fellow "peers" doing a catch and release with them when they're hooked.

So it seems this "problem" is unlikely to be a big or the biggest "problem" with health care costs. Not because of politics or relationships or agendas, but simply the data. In the relative absence of data based opinions to the contrary, I sort of have to go with the evidence.

Where I last worked, it was common to call people acting badly and being idiots as "politics", so I have a wan opinion of the word.

Maybe it's the three glasses of wine I just had, but I am pissed as hell: are we only entitled to the human rights we can PAY for? I dunno--I think health care is the right of every American and not just the privileged few who can pay full price. Now that some cancer drugs are being priced at $100,000 for a year's supply (see last week's news), how many of you have "earned" the "privilege" of surviving cancer?

getoutearly said:
. . . One definition of Politics:  The often internally conflicting interrelationships among people in a society. . .
I don't know what that means, but I don't think this discussion has been that political.

When we argue about whether or not Cheney was drunk when he shot his friend, that's political. We have no real data either way. Maybe he just exercised poor judgement. Maybe he had purely altruistic reasons for the way he handled the situation. Our beliefs about what happened are colored by our predjudices.

When we argue about the motives of Ted Kennedy or George Bush when they've done something stupid, that's political. None of us really knows Ted or George or what their motives are. Our political beliefs tend to make us believe in the honor of the figure we agree most with.

But this discussion has been about whether the US has the best health care system and about whether it is a good bargain or expensive. While no data can specifically address those questions, a great deal of data that relates to those issues has been collected and presented in this thread. It all seems to point to the same answers. How is that political?

Maybe I've missed something in this thread or in my reading of other news sources. If there is data that contradicts the data we've seen here? Is there anything beyond gut feeling (political bias?) or anecdotal evidence (political rationalization?) that indicates that the US does have a superior medical system or that our medical system is a bargain? :confused:

I apologize for mixing my politics with a discussion of the facts. Unfortunately the two get intertwinned. The facts indicate to me a situation that are contrary to my personal beliefs about what a society should be like.

There is considerable factual data cited on this board which indicates that US healthcare is expensive and not available to all. Legitimate questions have also been raised concerning the quality of our medical care system given where the US sits in contrast to other developed countries with respect to longevity. No one has raised any contrary data.

We also have discussed why the costs in the US may be high. Only opinions, not data, have been advanced that a primary driver is lawyers and malpractice. I don't and never have practiced personal injury law. Figures were presented which indicate that this is a small part of the total cost. Nevertheless, the cost of malpractice insurance is an issue in many parts of the country. And if doctors feel they are ordering unnecessary tests, this is an issue that should be addressed. But in the scope of things, this appears to be a small issue and if controlling lawsuits is presented as a solution to the healthcare problem by politicians, I questions their motives.

I suppose the issue of access is a political issue. I have very strong personal beliefs that we as a country should provide healthcare to all its citizens. I am very disturbed about medicaid cuts. That the price of providing multimillion dollar care to one baby results in other people getting no care. I believe healthcare for all citiizens should be right up there with defense of the country and education of its citizens, and social security. Therefore, I reacted strongly to the post which said "why do people get off thinking they have a right to what I have worked hard to get'? But I do apologize for my strong reaction. Unfortunately, my reaction probably served only to cause some people to question the factual content of my posts.

In case you haven't seen this, here is a site discussing national health care.

One of the problems with national health care is the desire of the bureaucrats to eliminate any competitors.  I believe Hillary's plan had some aspect of this.  In Canada there is a ongoing controversy about that very thing.  This would be tantamount to the U.S. Postal Service eliminating FEDEX.  Since I've been poor, I know that some form of government assistance is necessary for a lot of people.  The questions are:  How much will it cost? How will it be paid for?  and Will Competition be outlawed?

As to the ongoing discussion about longevity tables, We're just fat and lazy. Our kids sit in front of tvs and computers. Most of the adults would drive to the mail box, if we could. National Health Care won't fix that.

Eagle43 said:
Since I've been poor, I know that some form of government assistance is necessary for a lot of people. The questions are: How much will it cost? How will it be paid for? and Will Competition be outlawed?

Insurance and competition is a big issue. The problem with the insurance concept is that insurance is for future risks, not current problems. Therefore, insurance companies don't want to cover people who are already sick. Or the insurer will charge a price most cannot afford to pay. HIPAA helped somewhat with this problems, but it doesn't regulate rates and it only protects people who move from group to group plan or group to individual plan. Some states have found their own solutions in the way they regulate the insurance industry, though none of the solutions have provided universal coverage.

I have a hard time believing that we can eliminatehealth insurance companies in this country. However, we might need to subsidize insurance costs for low income people and sick people. Just allowing market forces to function won't work because insurance companies will want only to cover healthy people. Minnesota does a pretty good job of dealing with these issues through its current system. It has a risk pool that is fairly affordable for uninsurable people. It has subsidized insurance for those who cannot afford insurance. I believe Minnesota has a greater percentage of people covered by insurance than any other state.

I also tend to think that we need to separate insurance from employment. One of the reason's HIPAA was enacted was that people with preexisting conditions were trapped in their job because they could not get coverage elsewhere. HIPAA made it far easier for people going from job to job, but it is of limited help if you have no job at all or your employer doesn't provide health insurance.

((^+^)) SG said:
I don't know what that means, but I don't think this discussion has been that political.

When we argue about whether or not Cheney was drunk when he shot his friend, that's political. We have no real data either way. Maybe he just exercised poor judgement. Maybe he had purely altruistic reasons for the way he handled the situation. Our beliefs about what happened are colored by our predjudices.

When we argue about the motives of Ted Kennedy or George Bush when they've done something stupid, that's political. None of us really knows Ted or George or what their motives are. Our political beliefs tend to make us believe in the honor of the figure we agree most with.

But this discussion has been about whether the US has the best health care system and about whether it is a good bargain or expensive. While no data can specifically address those questions, a great deal of data that relates to those issues has been collected and presented in this thread. It all seems to point to the same answers. How is that political?

Maybe I've missed something in this thread or in my reading of other news sources. If there is data that contradicts the data we've seen here? Is there anything beyond gut feeling (political bias?) or anecdotal evidence (political rationalization?) that indicates that the US does have a superior medical system or that our medical system is a bargain? :confused:

Actually cheney admitted to having "just one beer", although who the hell ever said or heard that and it was true?

Other than that, you said what I thought and didnt say. See? Sometimes the cute and fuzzy bunny really is a nice guy ;)

(Cute Fuzzy Bunny) said:
Actually cheney admitted to having "just one beer", although who the hell ever said or heard that and it was true?
I thought the delay in reporting to the press was because the staff was waiting for Cheney to sober up and put down the shotgun...

Well if it wasnt standard operating procedure for a well to do person who crashes their car while drunk to be 'tucked away' by their lawyer until turning themselves in the next day, I guess nobody would grab onto the analogy. Substitute gun for car. Substitute meaningless "leaving the scene" fine for a little talk show blabbing.

Will Competition be outlawed?
not gonna happen in the good old U.S. of A.  ;)

In Italy (and I assume Canada, Switzerland, Japan and just about every other developed country with a public system) one is certainly free to buy additional private health insurance and either use that or pay out-of-pocket to visit private physicians and clinics.

From what people tell me (and I have both doctors and patients in the family here), it's not so much a matter of quality as of convenience and wait times. If you are on the list for a non-emergency test you may have to wait weeks. You're always free, though, to get the same test sooner for cash at a private lab if you so choose.

I have to strongly second Martha in her disdain for Rustic23's comment:
why do people get off thinking they have a right to what I have worked hard to get?

A huge number of Americans pay their fair share of taxes yet find themselves without healthcare coverage. THEY have a bigger beef than Rustic23. The patchwork systems of 50 states regulating insurance along with the huge overhead of hundreds upon hundreds of insurance providers and hospitals has way more to do with escalating costs than does malpractice. This kind of 'competition' is INefficient and is literally killing us.

How can people be worried about 'competition' and 'choice' when they are apparently too blind to see that neither is operative in the current system anyway!?!? In Massachusetts, for example, you cannot buy catastrophic coverage even if you decide that's best for your situation.. just can't buy it no how no way.

Just do the basic math of public vs. private: Kaiser Permanente buys a pill for a dollar but to make a profit for their shareholders they have sell it for $1.20. The gov't. could probably buy the pill for .90 and after overhead still give it to you for a buck.. at the very least they don't have to be paying multi-million dollar exec salaries and pleasing shareholders.. If people feel like they're 'paying too much' or that 'there's not enough to go around', cutting out the middleman should net you an extra 20% right off the bat, ..no?  (Before you even get into reduced costs of doctors dealing with myriad insurance forms and those kind of savings..)

My Republican sister says, "why should I trust the government with my health care?" I say, "why should I trust an insurance salesman or anyone with a profit motive with my health care?.. he only gains if I lose..!"

--
now quit talking about Cheney, 'cause it's just distracting us from the UAE thing

(Cute Fuzzy Bunny) said:
I'll bet cheney has good health care...
I wonder how much the policy that comes with a helicopter costs? :)

I'll bet cheney has good health care...

He's got the best kind there is.. someone else is paying for it.. namely you and me!

I wanna know what the annual costs are of having doctors and ambulances follow him wherever he goes.

Back
Top Bottom