Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What is your napping practice and your views on napping?
I never nap. Napping is unproductive and dissolute. Very bad. 3 1.74%
I very occasionally nap but feel guilty. Only short naps so my SO doesn't find out. 8 4.65%
More days than not I DO NOT nap. But I enjoy it when I do, with a twinge of guilt. 40 23.26%
More days than not I DO nap. And I enjoy it with no guilt whatsoever. I don't give a flying rat's a** what my SO thinks. 50 29.07%
I nap every day and absolutely love it. But no more that an 45 minutes. 17 9.88%
I nap every day and wonder how anyone could NOT nap. Usually more that 45 minutes a day. 16 9.30%
I never nap. I just don't feel the need. But if I did I wouldn't feel guilty. 38 22.09%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2017, 08:55 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
As a rule, I do not nap. Very occasionally I feel the need to nap, and then I do so, guilt free. Statements about SOs are irrelevant as I do not have one.
+1

This describes me perfectly.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2017, 08:56 AM   #42

I didn't see this option in the poll:

I get very sleepy after lunch. I'd love to nap and wake up refreshed. But, If I fall asleep, I usually wake up groggy and it takes a long time to clear my head.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:11 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I would like to know where people nap. Do you lie on your bed, stretch out on the sofa, or curl up in a hammock?
Lake house:In front of fire on sofa or on the dock on comfy lounge chair
Everywhere else on a sofa. Just seems wrong to actually go under covers in bed? That's not a nap? Probably depends when you nap. I generally nap around 1:30-300PM.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:33 AM   #44

I nap on average 1-2 times a week, mid-afternoon, for 25 minutes (I set a timer to make sure I don't nap longer as that makes me groggy for the rest of the day). I nap on the futon in my craft room. The dog now knows the words "power nap" and beats me to the futon, then he curls up at my feet to nap with me.
MBAustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:38 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have never been a napper. Didn't like them as a kid, don't like them as an adult. Seldom drift off.

DW on the other hand is quite good at them.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:04 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Napping is one of my many talents. I even used to nap at my desk at the office.
I now nap when I feel like it. It was easier before DH retired! Now, I have someone who asks "Did you take a little nap?", the dogs never asked....
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:29 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Why are we mixing napping with guilt? What do these two things have to do with each other?

We're retired folks here, why would we feel guilty if we take a nap?
It took me maybe 9-10 months of being retired before I lost the guilt associated with not being productive. I still mentally prepare that "status report" for DW on what I have accomplished during the week. It's hard to get over that kind of thinking.

But I am slowly getting there. I have discovered the power of the afternoon nap, and it is glorious. I don't nap more than a few times a month, but when I need to do so, it feels great. Napping with the cat in front of a fire on a cold winter's day, or laying out in the hammock in the summer and falling asleep to the sound of the water - that's why I retired. I didn't retire to explain how many times I mowed the darn lawn or reorganized the kitchen cabinets.
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:42 AM   #48

DH is what I call a Ninja Napper. A nap can occur in any position. No comfort required. He's been teaching our new grandson the finer points of sleeping while sitting in a chair.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:20 AM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

As a long time shift worker, napping has been a coping mechanism to make up for the almost constant state of sleep deprivation.

Lately I've found that I really hit a wall in the evening, even when I'm on vacation, if I don't get a nap in earlier in the day. I suspect that my love of naps will continue in retirement. I plan to raise my napping to an art form
Old 06-10-2017, 11:29 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Those afternoon naps would often be the best sleep I'd get, especially after a day I worked. Back when I was first working, and my schedule and short commute got me home before 5 PM, I would take a nap before dinner. But I then had too many problems trying to get to sleep at my normal hour, so I had to stop the weekday naps when I had to work the next day.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:48 AM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Maybe once or twice a week, for about 20-40 minutes, and it often happens at the same time on those days. I don't like it when the urge to nap happens before a workout, cause I have to dig deep to bring the energy back up and go in. I try to avoid any long naps because I don't want to throw off my regular sleep patterns. Used to feel some guilt, but that's gone away. I find them rather enjoyable now.
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:22 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I'm sorry, what was the question? I fell asleep while reading it.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:11 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Several naps a week without guilt. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:22 PM   #54

No SO, no guilt, nap sometimes.

Had periods last year where I went sleepy every day, some periods where I never went sleepy.

At one point I got worried about my health though. At 36 I don't think you are supposed to feel sleepy by day often. But then it passed, so I guess it was a phase or something.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:17 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Of course I nap....most days. Usually 15-30 min in the afternoon.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:30 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

It is a rare day when I don't take a nap. Early to mid-afternoon. No matter what, I can't force myself to sleep beyond 30 minutes. I often open my eyes exactly 30 minutes after closing them-sleep starts within minutes. I awake feeling completely refreshed and ready to go. Sometimes when I'm feeling stressed, eyes will pop open after only 15-20, that's not good.

I have napped for as long as I can remember, through college, graduate school, even work. When I was younger, I used to think of it as cramming two days into one, and I often did! Now that I'm older, it is more of a break in the same day.
45th Birthday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:56 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry for taking so long to reply, but I was napping...
LuckyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 04:04 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I don't feel guilty for napping. It's usually because my sleep was interrupted the night before and I need to catch up on some missed sleep. I don't usually sleep more than 6 hours overnight.

I don't feel guilty for laying around reading or web surfing either!
Old 06-11-2017, 07:00 AM   #59

When I was wor*ing, invariably there would be a meeting right after lunch. Some expert (fool) would bore us with mostly insignificant stuff. It was tough to stay awake. These days, lunch is a signal that a nap is necessary. I rarely resist.
BTW: I never napped during my 42 year wor*ing life. No guilt whatsoever.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:44 PM   #60

Napping anytime I feel like it is one of the great benefits of retirement! It is an unusual day when I don't take at least a 30 minute nap, often there are two, one after breakfast (for some reason eating makes me sleepy) and after lunch. Naps can last anywhere from a half hour to an hour and a half, but that's unusual.

Oh, and I don't feel the slightest bit of guilt over it.