Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What is your napping practice and your views on napping?
I never nap. Napping is unproductive and dissolute. Very bad. 3 1.74%
I very occasionally nap but feel guilty. Only short naps so my SO doesn't find out. 8 4.65%
More days than not I DO NOT nap. But I enjoy it when I do, with a twinge of guilt. 40 23.26%
More days than not I DO nap. And I enjoy it with no guilt whatsoever. I don't give a flying rat's a** what my SO thinks. 50 29.07%
I nap every day and absolutely love it. But no more that an 45 minutes. 17 9.88%
I nap every day and wonder how anyone could NOT nap. Usually more that 45 minutes a day. 16 9.30%
I never nap. I just don't feel the need. But if I did I wouldn't feel guilty. 38 22.09%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-11-2017, 02:57 PM   #61

My formula for a day or two a week: lunch, then sit down in the right place with a cup of tea and the book I'm reading. If it happens, occasionally I'll read with my eyes shut for a while, hehe! But the tea controls nap duration (diuretic), and it helps me wake up energized.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2017, 03:03 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Never admit to napping. It's a sign of weakness. ZZZZZZZZ

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 04:00 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I used to nap, but I think it was from a post lunch blood sugar crash. I changed my eating habits ~3 years ago and no longer feel the need. However, if caught up in the moment, a nap would be very acceptable.

For the nappers, enjoy the snooze!
Old 06-11-2017, 04:16 PM   #64

Occasionally catch myself having a quick (under 30 minute) nap, usually not intentional but sometimes I know it will happen when I get into the easy chair without my tablet or a book. Probably 3-4 times a week.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Best reason to retire
Old 06-11-2017, 04:43 PM   #65

Best reason to retire

If I can't nap every day in retirement, I don't think I will bother retiring.

The most wonderful experiences in my life were when my children were small enough to take midday naps. On weekends after lunch, I would lead by example. We'd lie down on the big bed and read a story, and by about page 15 of The Cat in the Hat I'd feel a kid's head slump onto my shoulder. I'd lay the book down and close my eyes... An hour later I'd wake up and that head would still be there. I don't know how to describe how glorious it felt other than "spiritual fulfillment". It was the best part of being a Dad.

All my children are grown now, but the association of naps and total contentment has remained. Guilt, schmilt. It's as close as I get to heaven on earth.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:23 PM   #66

I don't feel the need to nap (yet), I'm one of those who can't nap without feeling groggy and disoriented for a while after.

But I do like to be on the couch with a latte, my cat, and my tablet for a good read around 4pm most days.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:00 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
My formula for a day or two a week: lunch, then sit down in the right place with a cup of tea and the book I'm reading. If it happens, occasionally I'll read with my eyes shut for a while, hehe! But the tea controls nap duration (diuretic), and it helps me wake up energized.
The tea thing is very funny! I guess it's a variant of the venerable "water clock" of the ancients ...
steadystate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:50 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

I do have to be careful not to sleep more than an hour. Doing so tends to disrupt my usual night's sleep. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:55 AM   #69

I voted never. I hate to nap and perhaps only do it a couple times a year when I am ill, jet lagged, or didn't sleep the previous night. It makes me groggy and miserable, certainly not refreshed. I envy those who can catch a quick cat nap and get reinvigorated. On the other hand, I typically sleep a full 9 hours at night, and rarely have insomnia.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:22 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Is feeling sleepy after a meal an indication of a health problem? I always wonder.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:46 AM   #71

My husband and I just got in a bit of a tiff over this poll. He is a regular napper...He is highly skilled at falling asleep for short periods of time throughout the day. Our argument centered on what constitutes a nap. He takes an 'in bed' nap about twice a week... and that's what he considers a nap. I laughed because he falls asleep in his recliner or on the couch 1-2 times a day EVERY day. Even when he worked he'd "put up his feet and close his eyes" for 20 minutes after lunch. He was a legend in his office... could get to sleep quickly and would wake up right at the end of lunch.

I'm a crappy napper. Takes me too long to fall asleep, then I feel groggy when I wake up... so I don't bother. I stick to my early to bed, early to rise schedule because that works for me.

No guilt about napping. I don't impose guilt on DH. Napping and guilt don't go together.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:04 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Is feeling sleepy after a meal an indication of a health problem? I always wonder.
I have that problem too. Especially after something warm like a hot soup or hot cafe au lait with chocolate.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:06 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
My husband and I just got in a bit of a tiff over this poll. He is a regular napper...He is highly skilled at falling asleep for short periods of time throughout the day. Our argument centered on what constitutes a nap. He takes an 'in bed' nap about twice a week... and that's what he considers a nap. I laughed because he falls asleep in his recliner or on the couch 1-2 times a day EVERY day. Even when he worked he'd "put up his feet and close his eyes" for 20 minutes after lunch. He was a legend in his office... could get to sleep quickly and would wake up right at the end of lunch.

I'm a crappy napper. Takes me too long to fall asleep, then I feel groggy when I wake up... so I don't bother. I stick to my early to bed, early to rise schedule because that works for me.

No guilt about napping. I don't impose guilt on DH. Napping and guilt don't go together.
I've done this since my early 20s. First job after graduation, I remember napping after lunch often.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:08 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I have that problem too. Especially after something warm like a hot soup or hot cafe au lait with chocolate.
Had it since at least university. Blood goes to digestion, me feel sleepy. Only solution: light meal. Or nap.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:05 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I never nap. I have nothing against it but napping feels unnatural to me. Even as a kid, I did not like it. I usually feel groggy afterwards and not at all refreshed like most people do.

If I take a "power nap" of 15-20 minutes I'm okay. If I doze for an hour or more the groggy sets in...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:01 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I laughed because he falls asleep in his recliner or on the couch 1-2 times a day EVERY day.
My FIL got a new recliner. He said "Man, this is a FAST chair!" to which I had a puzzled look. He explained that he can get to sleep faster in it than his old chair
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:40 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

I usually get up at 5:30 or so every morning. By early afternoon, after I have done all my running around, I like to take about an hour nap then get up and piddle around some more. I just retired in January and next to being able to fish everyday, being able to take a nap everyday has been a pleasant surprise. Never really napped before but I am loving it!
GSMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:14 AM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

A few years before my retirement, my corporate employer created a Quiet Room next to the cafeteria, where staff could "relax and meditate". Meditation soon proved difficult, what with all the snoring. I honed my power nap chops there on many a day, until new mgmt arrived and decided the quiet room was a poor use of the space. Philistines! Anyhoo, as far as naps post-retirement, me like-ee, though I try to be discreet so as to not demonstrate to my wife I might be the no-account layabout she suspects I just may be ;-)
Old 06-14-2017, 05:27 AM   #79
Full time employment: Posting here.

I napped all the way back in college. Nearly every afternoon. I took a lot of joking for it.

Not so much now that I am w#rk&ng, but every other possible opportunity..... I also regularly sleep 9+ hours a night. When I am awake, I am going at 120%, but I get need my sleep.

For the naps, there's just something about knowing everyone else out there is running around trying to get things done and you are sort of "cheating the system".....
Old 06-14-2017, 07:07 AM   #80

When I retired I resolved:

-no naps
-no daytime tv

This was after witnessing retired relatives napping in their recliner while the TV was blaring "the Price is Right". Then they would complain about not being able to sleep at night.

Didn't seem to be the way I wanted to spend retirement but it could be fine for everyone else. Hasn't been hard to do since I don't feel the need to do either.
misanman is offline   Reply With Quote