Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What is your napping practice and your views on napping?
I never nap. Napping is unproductive and dissolute. Very bad. 3 1.74%
I very occasionally nap but feel guilty. Only short naps so my SO doesn't find out. 8 4.65%
More days than not I DO NOT nap. But I enjoy it when I do, with a twinge of guilt. 40 23.26%
More days than not I DO nap. And I enjoy it with no guilt whatsoever. I don't give a flying rat's a** what my SO thinks. 50 29.07%
I nap every day and absolutely love it. But no more that an 45 minutes. 17 9.88%
I nap every day and wonder how anyone could NOT nap. Usually more that 45 minutes a day. 16 9.30%
I never nap. I just don't feel the need. But if I did I wouldn't feel guilty. 38 22.09%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2017, 09:59 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Now that I'm retired, I take a nap every day, for about 30-45 minutes, sometime in the afternoon. Once in a while, I might take a second nap later if I need another boost.

Before I retired, I only napped on weekends but did so pretty regularly.

I drink about 3 cups of regular coffee every day, the last one at night between 7 and 9 pm. And I fall asleep at night within 5 minutes of my head hitting the pillow.

Admittedly, I'm strange.
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2017, 10:09 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I rarely nap...maybe once every couple of months. I'm usually too busy. When I do nap, it's because I've overdone it (whatever that means at the time) and slept poorly multiple days in a row. And then I feel guilty because DW thinks naps are for lazy people. Never mind she takes naps much more often than I do, but that's related to her current medical condition.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:26 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Napping is one of the great benefits of retirement! I nap most days. I'm an early riser and typically take a nap late morning or early afternoon. If I miss a nap I go to bed early.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:33 AM   #24

I take a short nap more days than not (depends how bad the insomnia is). I'm fine with it and so is DW - gives me more energy late afternoon and evening - so none of the options is right for me.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:53 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffInSeattle View Post
mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. I created a silly poll, on the spur of the moment. I admit I joke around too much and should have created only one concept per multiple choice question. But I couldn't resist the silliness. Anyway, hope folks have fun with it.
If I wanted a scientific study, I'd go elsewhere. I think your poll fits the spirit of this forum. (at least you didn't call it a 'pole')

Napping is one of the best things about RE! Sometimes for 40 minutes, sometimes for 10 minutes. Either way I wake up refreshed and feeling great!
Old 06-10-2017, 05:50 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I tend to wake up when the sun rises (even with the blinds closed and wearing eyeshades) so this time if year it's darned early. I try to block out some time in late afternoon after I've been to the gym and done all the essential stuff, to settle in with a good book. Sometimes I fall asleep for half an hour, sometimes I don't. No guilt at all- getting enough sleep is important for health. My late husband didn't like napping- he said he always felt groggy for a long time afterwards- but I never felt guilty taking a nap when he was around, either.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:09 AM   #27

Life long napper here, 10 minutes late morning, and 5-10 watching Netflix at night, or until Ms G wakes me up.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:11 AM   #28

I nap very rarely, maybe once every couple months... and generally only if I didn't get much sleep the night before or had to get up very early for some reason. Other contributing factors, which don't happen very often, include... large lunch, TV documentary in the afternoon, DW not at home. If all of this aligns, then I might snooze on the couch for 30 minutes to an hour. But it's not a deep sleep and I always wake up feeling odd... not guilty, but groggy (not rested) and like I just wasted part of the day.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:37 AM   #29

I nap when I want to, or need to. Having just traveled from Europe, with a delay on my last leg, I was pretty tired when I went to bed, but I never sleep in. I just can't do it. So, of course I napped. In Italy, Spain, and Latin America, the stores close in the afternoon and everyone takes a break. Some probably nap. But then they stay up late and enjoy the warm summer nights. Why should anyone ever feel guilty for sleeping when they need to?
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:21 AM   #30

"More days than not I DO NOT nap. But I enjoy it when I do, with a twinge of guilt."

I nap when I am tired. Often lay down on the couch for 20-90 minutes.

I feel a twinge of guilt in that DW is still working. I don't try to hide it from her however.

Sometimes it is funny if she phones me and I take the call. She can usually tell what I have been up to. :-)

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:00 AM   #31

I nap most days (guiltlessly) and I still w*rk.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:08 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

My naps happen involuntarily in late afternoon only if I am home on the couch. Not sure how long they are - maybe 15-20 minutes. I always try to fight it off but lose the fight.
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:26 AM   #33

Nap almost every day. After strenuous workout and lunch usually have a strong need to lie down. Usually about 45 minutes. One of the great benefits of being retired. Why would I feel guilty?
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:29 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I nap occasionally and I don't feel guilty about it.

It energizes me and put me in a good frame of mind.

I nap much less often now that I am retired. When I was working I often napped 4-7 days a weeks. I was exhausted far to often. Frequent napping was a sign that things needed to change.

The poll would be better if it left out what people are supposed to 'think' when they follow their napping habits.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:42 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I used to nap every day at 4:30 for an hour. Then I discovered I need to do it on Saturdays when more important things were happening so I gave it up for good.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:45 AM   #36

Nap every day after lunch for about 45 minutes. Feel really cranky when for whatever reason am unable to take that nap.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:46 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Before I ERed, I napped on the days I didn't work, usually for 45-60 minutes in the late afternoon. On the days I did work, I would nap if I were going out that night and wasn't working the next day. Those were usually Friday nights in my full-time work era although I rarely worked 2 straight days in my part-time work era.

Now that I am retired, I can nap every day in the late afternoon for 45-60 minutes.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:47 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I would like to know where people nap. Do you lie on your bed, stretch out on the sofa, or curl up in a hammock? If you put on your PJs and get under the covers, does that still count as a nap?

On the rare occasions where I currently nap, I tend to just relax in a comfy chair with an ottoman. But when I worked really long hours, sometimes I would change into PJs as soon as I got home, and just crash in bed. Sometimes I woke up in an hour, and sometimes I slept for several hours, often waking up in the middle of the night. This played havoc with my sleep cycle. The whole exhausting routine was very unhealthy, which was a major motivation for ER.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:47 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffInSeattle View Post
mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. I created a silly poll, on the spur of the moment. I admit I joke around too much and should have created only one concept per multiple choice question. But I couldn't resist the silliness. Anyway, hope folks have fun with it.
Hey, option 4 is hilarious! Have you met my DH?

I nap only when I have a fever (the need for napping is a diagnostic tool for me). I do fall asleep at night watching TV in our family room much past 11 but consider that part of bedtime, which is where I should be instead.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:54 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

I love napping in retirement!

I usually nap sometime between 4PM - 7PM and I nap on more days than not. My naps are about 10 minutes to an hour long and total bliss; so refreshing! And wild dreams. Often after a 10 minute nap, I awaken thinking that I must have slept for hours and feeling a little alarmed that I did that. Then I am ecstatic to find out that I got all that rest in just 10 minutes or so, and still have the rest of the afternoon to enjoy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I would like to know where people nap. Do you lie on your bed, stretch out on the sofa, or curl up in a hammock? If you put on your PJs and get under the covers, does that still count as a nap?

On the rare occasions where I currently nap, I tend to just relax in a comfy chair with an ottoman. But when I worked really long hours, sometimes I would change into PJs as soon as I got home, and just crash in bed. Sometimes I woke up in an hour, and sometimes I slept for several hours, often waking up in the middle of the night. This played havoc with my sleep cycle. The whole exhausting routine was very unhealthy, which was a major motivation for ER.
Like you, I nap in my wonderful comfy chair with ottoman. When I worked I napped in the same chair after work, but I tried not to nap because I wanted to do other things. Now that I am retired, I have more time to nap.

Other than slipping my shoes off (which I usually do anyway), I am fully dressed when I nap. I have a light blanket by my easy chair which I can use if it is cold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chair_best.jpg (50.3 KB, 11 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote