Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-24-2018, 11:53 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
12. Marry a very rich woman/guy and skip steps 1-11.
I actually remember hearing Dr. Phil give this advice on his TV show once. As crass as it sounds, it’s actually a legitimate path to FI, albeit one I wouldn’t pursue myself.
bevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2018, 02:20 AM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevette View Post
I actually remember hearing Dr. Phil give this advice on his TV show once. As crass as it sounds, it’s actually a legitimate path to FI, albeit one I wouldn’t pursue myself.

it takes out all the sense of achievement , and would such a pairing work

( selecting a partner by the size of their financial assets )

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:17 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Legitimate? Well I don’t know. Had my wife adopted this approach we would never had been married. I will be the first to say having a pile certainly can make life easier. However having money was not in my “search criteria’ for choosing a spouse. I guess I did a good job 25 years ago because For my last three operations (Neck, 2 knees) the Mrs was my personal servant and stood next to me and help my into the shower. She said with me she felt I had good prospects.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:15 AM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
DM always told little sister, “it’s just as easy to love a rich man as it is to love a poor man. Find a rich man to love.” Little sister never listened.

I did pursue this line of thought and would quip, “I’m looking for a hot doctor that likes to cook and clean.” I actually found and dated a few such creatures, but there wasn’t much chemistry. And two of them were actually pet veterinarians, while I’m terribly allergic to cats. i ended up with a sweet and kind woman who, after 10 years, still laughs at all my jokes. And it took 8 long and patient years, but she’s learned to pay her bills and not spend $100/week at Starbucks.

So I think “gold-digging” is excellent, practical advice. Just don’t use wealth as the driving factor in selecting a mate.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:36 AM   #65

Learn the ins and outs of IRS tax code. Sounds boring, but it can bring in huge savings. Why give extra $ to your "rich uncle (Sam)" when you legally do not have to. 30-40 years of even tiny savings really add up.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:05 PM   #66

Quote:
When dating this was one concern that I did have. While I was by no means wealthy, I did have a steady job that was virtually immune from layoffs and had a decent pension. There were some women who were clearly looking for a meal ticket and I was anxious to avoid those.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:09 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I recall being pursued by at least three different, very young men, just out of the service, who had managed to marry, sire two kids, acquire a townhouse, and get divorced, all in their 4 years in the military. One wonders when they had time to do their military jobs. Anyway, it was a common scenario and young women like me were catnip to them. They needed help paying the mortgage!

They couldn't understand why I wasn't interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
When dating this was one concern that I did have. While I was by no means wealthy, I did have a steady job that was virtually immune from layoffs and had a decent pension. There were some women who were clearly looking for a meal ticket and I was anxious to avoid those.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:24 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
Start this young: take good care of your teeth! Cavities lead to crowns, which often lead to the need for implants, which are darned expensive, especially if you've lost bone and need grafts first. Of course, you don't have to get implants, or you could get them in another country, but the whole thing is best avoided.

Good advice. The younger generation has benefited greatly from fluoride. I had infinitely more cavities than my 4 kids combined!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:28 PM   #69

I was blessed to marry a lady who in her early days, had a "clicker" to add up her grocery purchases. She was on a tight budget, and never forgot that lesson.
. She had been warned by her sons not to tell anyone what her assets were, which was good advice.
Early in our relationship she was told by her friends I was "too good to be true".
Well, when our relationship deepened I felt it was time to let her know I had a few bucks.
Fast forward 11 years, now retired for 9 years, with a nest egg North of $2 Mil.
Life is good!
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:37 PM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post

Beyond that, I'll add 2 suggestions. Notwithstanding credit card rebates, pay for restaurant meals and gifts with cash or debit card. ...
Why the heck would I ignore credit card rebates? That's money, which is kinda important to "Financial Freedom".

My Costco card provides 3% cash rebate at restaurants. Recently, I had acquired a $100 bill, and many places don't accept anything bigger than a $20, but a restaurant will. Then I thought, why the heck should I use the bill there, and lose out on $3 of CC rewards? So the next time I was at the bank, I just had it changed for 20's and 5's.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote