The important "trigger" income levels 2020

Edit to add: When I calculated the income levels in post 1, I did it by reverse engineering the IRS form, using a married couple with $2k per month each in social security. Then I calculated straight from the top to check my work. The total income levels for 50% and 85% taxation naturally change as you change the amount of the social security payments.

For what it's worth, here is how I calculated the total income level at which you will hit taxation of 85% of your social security.

This calculation requires that you use the IRS worksheet found here. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p915.pdf#page=16 This calculation is for Married Filing Jointly. The principles work the same for Single although the precise numbers are different, as shown in the form.

Line 1 of the sheet is known. It is your total social security for the year. What we are going to do is work backward from Line 19 to calculate Line 3 and then add it to Line 1. So let’s get started:

1. Put your total Social Security payment for the year (monthly x 12) in Line 1 and put ½ of that number in Line 2.

2. Put $32,000 in Line 9 and $12,000 in Line 11. Note that, together, these constitute the maximum $44,000 exclusion from the beginning of the 85% taxation.

3. Now look at Line 19, which tells you how much of your SS is taxable. Note that it is the lesser of Line 18 or Line 17.

4. Look at line 18. Note that it is 85% of Line 1, because by law that is the maximum amount of your social security that can be taxable. So we put 85% of Line 1 here.

5. We are looking for the case where Line 17 - the calculated amount -- is exactly equal to Line 18 – the legal maximum. Because if Line 17 is less than Line 18, then the percentage taxable is less than 85%, and if Line 17 is greater, the calculated amount would be greater than 85% and Line 18 would control to keep it at 85%. So, we put the amount of Line 18 (85% of Line 1) also in Line 17.

6. Since we are assuming that your income is over the $44,000 exclusion amount, we can assume that Line 10 will always be larger than Line 11 (which is $12,000, as noted above). Accordingly, in Line 13 (the smaller of Line 10 or 11) we will also put $12,000. Line 14 is 50% of line 13, so we put in $6000.

7. Then we put in Line 15 either $6000 or ½ of your social security (smaller of Line 14 or line 2)

8. Now, as the form shows, Line 17 equals Line 15 plus Line 16. But we have previously determined that we want to make Line 17 = Line 18 = 85% of Line 1. So, we can calculate Line 16 by subtracting Line 15 from Line 17.

9. Note the Line 16 is 85% of Line 12, so we divide Line 16 by 0.85 to get Line 12.

10. Then we add Line 11 ($12,000) and Line 12 to get Line 10. We then add Line 10 and Line 9 ($32,000) to get Line 8. This is our total provisional income that results in taxation of 85% of social security.

11. Assume there are no adjustments in Line 7, then Line 6 = Line 8. It comprises ½ of your social security (Line 2) plus your other income for the year (Line 3 = total roth conversion income, dividends, etc.) (Assuming that there are zero adjustments in both lines 4 and 5). So we subtract Line 2 from Line 6 and that tells us how much income other than social security you can make.

12. So, for your total income, including 100% of social security, add Line 3 to Line 1. If you make more than this amount, 85% of your social security is taxable.

AND HERE IS THE SHORTCUT: Yearly social security = SS; Other Income = OI; Total Income = TI

TI = OI +SS

FOR SS > $12,000 per year

OI = ((.85 x SS) – 6000))/.85) + 44000 - (.5 x SS)
TI = ((.85 x SS) – 6000))/.85) + 44000 - (.5 x SS) + SS
= .85SS/.85 – 6000/.85 + 44000 +.5SS
= SS – 7059 + 44000 + .5SS
TI = 1.5 SS + 36941

FOR SS < $12,000 per year

OI = (((.85 x SS) – (.5 x SS))/.85) + 44,000 – (.5 x SS)
TI = (((.85 x SS) – (.5 x SS))/.85) + 44,000 – (.5 x SS) + SS
= .35SS/.85 + 44000 + .5 SS
= .4118 SS + 44000 + .5 S
TI = .9118 SS + 44000

Last edited:
That's an awesome list of trigger levels. Thank you!

Since you have the other main education credits, you might also want to include the tuition and fee deduction that was recently approved (tax extender). The deduction is capped at $4,000 for individuals with adjusted
 gross income(AGI) up to $65,000 ($130,000 for joint filers) and $2,000 for individuals with AGI up to $80,000 ($160,000 for joint filers).

Also, here's another decent source of info:
https://www.fool.com/taxes/2020/01/01/the-ultimate-2020-tax-planning-guide.aspx

This thread http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/calculating-tax-on-ss-benefits-101263.html should be a good place to continue the discussion. You'll find there a link to the IRS worksheet and a link to a third party calculator suggested by pb4uski.

Edit to add: When I calculated the income levels in post 1, I did it by reverse engineering the IRS form, using a married couple with $2k per month each in social security. Then I calculated straight from the top to check my work. The total income levels for 50% and 85% taxation naturally change as you change the amount of the social security payments.

Besides the excellent further explanation in post #51 by Gumby, the SS worksheet can be mimicked in Excel fairly easily if one uses simple @IF formulas for some of the various lines.

Agree w/ the others that Gumby has done a great service and that this should be a sticky. Minor issue: suggest that the * in the table either be footnoted or
placed as a note at top of table (or both). I eventually found it noted in the pre-table discussion but even tho I was looking for it , it took a while . Make it idiot-proof............lots of us around.

Perhaps also make it clear that AGI is often MAGI and that there are different definitions of MAGI for different purposed. Maybe clarify that some limits are indexed and others are not.

Hi Audrey, Is the NIIT imposed on capital gains? Thank you.

yes but on other investment income also: most notably taxable interest and dividends (not just QDIV).
The calculation is a 2 part one and you take the minimum of the 2 calculations.
e.g. if you have a lot of net investment income but your AGI (MFJ) is < 250K,
you pay nothing. As the AGI increases, just the amount that is above 250K is taxed, until the alternate calculation is lower.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-on-the-net-investment-income-tax

"8. What is included in Net Investment Income?
In general, investment income includes, but is not limited to: interest, dividends, capital gains, rental and royalty income, non-qualified annuities, income from businesses involved in trading of financial instruments or commodities and businesses that are passive activities to the taxpayer (within the meaning of section 469). To calculate your Net Investment Income, your investment income is reduced by certain expenses properly allocable to the income (see #13 below)."

Last edited:
That's an awesome list of trigger levels. Thank you!

Since you have the other main education credits, you might also want to include the tuition and fee deduction that was recently approved (tax extender). The deduction is capped at $4,000 for individuals with adjusted
 gross income(AGI) up to $65,000 ($130,000 for joint filers) and $2,000 for individuals with AGI up to $80,000 ($160,000 for joint filers).

Also, here's another decent source of info:
https://www.fool.com/taxes/2020/01/01/the-ultimate-2020-tax-planning-guide.aspx

Good suggestion. I have put these in.

Agree w/ the others that Gumby has done a great service and that this should be a sticky. Minor issue: suggest that the * in the table either be footnoted or
placed as a note at top of table (or both). I eventually found it noted in the pre-table discussion but even tho I was looking for it , it took a while . Make it idiot-proof............lots of us around.

Perhaps also make it clear that AGI is often MAGI and that there are different definitions of MAGI for different purposed. Maybe clarify that some limits are indexed and others are not.

I have integrated your suggestions. Thanks.

Looking at a couple of links for 2020, it appears the Lifetime Learning Credit phaseout has increased to $118,001 - $138,000. Thanks!

Looking at a couple of links for 2020, it appears the Lifetime Learning Credit phaseout has increased to $118,001 - $138,000. Thanks!
Fixed. Thanks for catching that.

^ Many of these levels (but not all) are tied to inflation, so it's a good idea to check the limits each year for any for which you might qualify and are close to the limits. AOTC, LLC, tax brackets, IRMAA levels, IRMAA premiums, and ACA income levels are all affected by inflation; there are likely others.

Schedule E losses

How about the limitations on deducting rental real estate losses from income starting at MAGI of $100,000 and eliminated at $150,000. Below MAGI of $100,000, losses up to $25,000 can be deducted.

May want to update this thread with the stimulus payment income levels ($75K AGI, $112.5K AGI, and $150K AGI).

May want to update this thread with the stimulus payment income levels ($75K AGI, $112.5K AGI, and $150K AGI).
Thanks. I have added the Single and MFJ levels.

This thread is a tremendous public service. Thank you all so very much.
I agree 100%. Thanks to Gumby and all those who have contributed to this thread. I will be making conversions this year from 401k to Roth for the first time and having this is so handy for seeing the tax rate levels that I will want to stay under.

I agree 100%. Thanks to Gumby and all those who have contributed to this thread. I will be making conversions this year from 401k to Roth for the first time and having this is so handy for seeing the tax rate levels that I will want to stay under.

I just stumbled on this and wanted to echo my thanks!

I'm not yet retired, so I have a question. Read an Article that says if your income is $32,000 - $44,000 as a couple, your SS income will be taxed 50%.

Is the $44,000 income after the IRS standard deductions ?
In 2019, the standard deduction is $24,800 for a couple. So, if your gross income is say $65,000 - $24,800 = $40,200 (income after standard deductions). So, in this case, do you still fall under the 50% SS taxation ? Because above $44,000 income, you will need to pay 85% on your SS income.

https://smartasset.com/retirement/is-social-security-income-taxable

I'm not yet retired, so I have a question. Read an Article that says if your income is $32,000 - $44,000 as a couple, your SS income will be taxed 50%.

In 2019, the standard deduction is $24,800 for a couple. So, if your gross income is say $65,000 - $24,800 = $40,200 (income after standard deductions). So, in this case, do you still fall under the 50% SS taxation ? Because above $44,000 income, you will need to pay 85% on your SS income.

Social security taxation is based on your "provisional income", which is 1/2 of your social security plus your other AGI. AGI is the income before any standard deduction. Note that the social security taxation thresholds are not "cliffs". That is why the article you link uses the words "up to" 50% and "up to" 85%

Your social security starts getting taxed when your provisional income passes $32k. The percentage of your benefit subject to tax increases for each additional dollar in AGI until it reaches 50% of SS being taxable at $44k provisional income. Thus, for example, if you and you spouse together had $28k per year in social security and $25k per year in other AGI (tIRA withdrawals, sales of appreciated stock, pension, etc), your provisional income would be $39k per year and $3500 (12.5%) of your social security benefit would be taxable.

Once provisional income hits $44k, progressively more gets taxed, up until 85% of it is taxable. The point at which you reach 85% of SS being subject to taxation differs for everyone, depending on their social security amount. Post #51 in this thread (https://www.early-retirement.org/fo...ncome-levels-2020-a-101090-3.html#post2350324) explains how to find the point at which 85% of your social security will be taxable. It is a surprisingly large number.

My recommendation is to go through the IRS worksheet here https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p915.pdf#page=16 and plug in your anticipated numbers. Here is a link to the Form 1040 to help. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf

At the end of the day, your taxable income will be the taxable portion of your social security plus your other AGI minus any deductions.

Last edited:
Social security taxation is based on your "provisional income", which is 1/2 of your social security plus your other AGI. AGI is the income before any standard deduction. Note that the social security taxation thresholds are not "cliffs". That is why the article you link uses the words "up to" 50% and "up to" 85%

Your social security starts getting taxed when your provisional income passes $32k. The percentage of your benefit subject to tax increases for each additional dollar in AGI until it reaches 50% of SS being taxable at $44k provisional income. Thus, for example, if you and you spouse together had $28k per year in social security and $25k per year in other AGI (tIRA withdrawals, sales of appreciated stock, pension, etc), your provisional income would be $39k per year and $3500 (12.5%) of your social security benefit would be taxable.

Once provisional income hits $44k, progressively more gets taxed, up until 85% of it is taxable. The point at which you reach 85% of SS being subject to taxation differs for everyone, depending on their social security amount. Post #51 in this thread (https://www.early-retirement.org/fo...ncome-levels-2020-a-101090-3.html#post2350324) explains how to find the point at which 85% of your social security will be taxable. It is a surprisingly large number.

My recommendation is to go through the IRS worksheet here https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p915.pdf#page=16 and plug in your anticipated numbers. Here is a link to the Form 1040 to help. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf

At the end of the day, your taxable income will be the taxable portion of your social security plus your other AGI minus any deductions.

Great. Thanks for explaining.

I'm not yet retired, so I have a question. Read an Article that says if your income is $32,000 - $44,000 as a couple, 50% of your SS income will be taxed[-] 50%[/-].

In 2019, the standard deduction is $24,800 for a couple. So, if your gross income is say $65,000 - $24,800 = $40,200 (income after standard deductions). So, in this case, do you still fall under the 50% SS taxation ? Because above $44,000 income, you will need to pay [-]85%[/-]tax on 85% of your SS income.

For clarity, edited your post.

Good edit. Yes, the actual tax is at your marginal rate for your income (12%, 22%, etc).

I just went through this exercise with my parents' tax planning. The best way by far was to just do a tax run for them with TurboTax (or whatever one might use). Then I could just look at line 5 to see what was taxable, and look at the SS Benefits Worksheet if I wanted to see the detailed calcs. It's also easy to tweak the numbers and see what changes as you add or subtract IRA withdrawals or other income. I just get a headache if I try to do it any other way.

I just went through this exercise with my parents' tax planning. The best way by far was to just do a tax run for them with TurboTax (or whatever one might use). Then I could just look at line 5 to see what was taxable, and look at the SS Benefits Worksheet if I wanted to see the detailed calcs. It's also easy to tweak the numbers and see what changes as you add or subtract IRA withdrawals or other income. I just get a headache if I try to do it any other way.

Yeah, just converted the SS worksheet to a simple excel formulaic worksheet and use it frequently enough to play around with the potential Roth conversions.

Back
Top Bottom