Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-07-2008, 07:27 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
My recollection was that he was dumped for threatening peoples kids and blowing up every thread with 11 page unrelated diatribes.

As far as his portfolio, TIPS bought at inception at rates you cant get close to now and CD's sure dont have a lot of negative volatility, although his style did poorly through most of the 90's and except for 3 years of the last 8, pretty badly as well compared to more balanced approaches.

Wellesley did better. A lot better.

He's also selling his house right now due to waning net worth, and rumor has it that his wife dumped him.

So maybe not a great strategy after all.

Oh, and he IS a loon as well.
Well, you seem to have a rather intimate knowledge of his posts, his investing career and his home life.

I grant you that I know nothing other than that he was a bore-which I suppose could hardly be said to be grounds for banning -and that he advocated investing in TIPS until stocks were more cheaply priced.

Even if he got the poor prices that you state his return would still have been positive, and still low risk. In my case am demanding but not excessively so when judging my TIPS real-rate entry point, and I have to say that the low risk is great, and as it has turned out, the return has also been very good.

I think it may now be time to bail out of some of these, in favor of some cheap equities. But who knows- TIPS remain very low risk, and while there are sure some cheap equities, one does have the problem of mis-timing and having them get significantly cheaper.

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2008, 07:48 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Could I ask, who are we talking about? Can his name be mentioned?
RockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:51 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

He who must not be named
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:57 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Does his last name rhyme with Rennet or Tussell?
RockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:59 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Well for the ones who just retired, not so good. Of course I will rebalance(again) if the market goes further down, but not what I wanted to see as a new retiree.
Yes, I hear ya... I can see how these can be pretty unsettling times for a newly minted retiree. A gentle up, up, up market would be of benefit to all... wishful thinking, right?
lucija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:02 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucija View Post
Yes, I hear ya... I can see how these can be pretty unsettling times for a newly minted retiree. A gentle up, up, up market would be of benefit to all... wishful thinking, right?
True dat. If it was just a constant, gentle rise in the market, there would be no risk, and with no risk, it would be returning what CDs and Treasuries are.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:05 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucija View Post
A gentle up, up, up market would be of benefit to all... wishful thinking, right?
Yes. Amazing though, as I type this my portfolio is actually up this morning.

You think this guy is worried about a recession?

Marathon hopeful, 101-year-old , training hard - Yahoo! Sports
Old 03-07-2008, 08:08 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
You think this guy is worried about a recession?

Marathon hopeful, 101-year-old , training hard - Yahoo! Sports
101?? The guy looks like he's in his 60s.

I like this quote: “If I finish, I’ll do what I always do and have a pint and a fag,” he said. “People ask what is my secret but I haven’t got one. They say fags and booze are bad for you—but I’m still here, aren’t I?”

I guess it's pretty hard for a doctor to tell a 101-year-old to stop doing something because it will kill them.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:43 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone got him on their dead pool?
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:02 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Gosh, the DOW really doesn't want to get below 12,000 , just like the S&P seems to resist going below 1300. With those miserable numbers today, I expected more of a selloff.

I suppose the bad expectations were built in.

Still, it seems like things would get lower.

I keep getting tantalizingly close to my 5% rebalance trigger, but never quite get there.

Staying patient......

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:19 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Here it goes now.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:40 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Here it goes now.
Doggone it. The Dow is in the 11,000's and it's 8 more days until I planned to DCA any more of my inheritance into the market.

I SUPPOSE it would be smartest to follow my plan, despite temptation.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:51 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Doggone it. The Dow is in the 11,000's and it's 8 more days until I planned to DCA any more of my inheritance into the market.

The temptation is there for sure. I got my bonus today and I am RUNNING to Fidelity this afternoon with a check...
podey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:52 AM   #34

Quote:

Well in 8 more days you might be in luck. It could be 8000.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:57 AM   #35

i might buy some more QID if the SP500 goes below 1270 and the nasdaq goes below whatever the january intraday low was
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:58 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Well in 8 more days you might be in luck. It could be 8000.
Aren't you a cheery spirit today!

I guess it could just as easily be down as up by then. So, I'll (probably) be good and wait.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:00 AM   #37

Quote:
Aren't you a cheery spirit today!

I guess it could just as easily be down as up by then. So, I'll (probably) be good and wait.
I really have no clue which way the market is heading. Just playing devils advocate
Old 03-07-2008, 10:02 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I really have no clue which way the market is heading. Just playing devils advocate
I know. I don't have a clue which way it is going, either. Guess both of us need better functioning crystal balls.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:02 AM   #39

But I do believe in the long term it will go up!
Old 03-07-2008, 10:08 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
But I do believe in the long term it will go up!
I hope you are right! It would be just my luck for the market to go sideways in the long term for the next 40 years.