Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-04-2018, 06:57 PM   #81
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
That's my plan, to be shot and killed at the age of 95 by a 20-year-old jealous husband.
It might be hard to find someone 20 years old to be your husband when you are 95. But I suppose that's a plan!
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2018, 08:39 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
It might be hard to find someone 20 years old to be your husband when you are 95. But I suppose that's a plan!
This Gal did it at 72:https://www.healthspiritbody.com/alm...gary-hardwick/
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:14 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It might be hard...when you are 95...

Or not...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 06:57 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Makes sense. Do you keep up with the yearly funding % of your pension plan just in case....
Yes, I do. It's fully funded, I still have 3 years of expenses on hand, and my house is paid off. So, I'm happily spending my monthly pension as fast as it comes in
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:08 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
A neighbor that was 3 years older than I couldn't believe I retired at 56. His wife later told my wife that since male longevity on his side of the family was low, they bought life insurance instead of investing. He thought he'd be dead by 50, he's 63 now, and still employed as is his wife.
You can always do both.

Hefty term life insurance on me that doesn't expire until I'm nearly 70.

Plus shove as much as I can into investments.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:10 AM   #86

My best friend is 66 and wife is 28, He makes 500k/yr and spends it all. has about 500k in investments and will work until he dies. He keeps a life insurance policy for 3 million for the young wife.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:24 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Sorry about your cousin, but you are right, go doing what you love.

In the other thread, "Tips from a Cardiologist", there is a referenced article. The author contends that deer hunting is extremely risky, as risky has high intensity interval training.
But I'm still going deer hunting. And yeah, If I died in the stand, I was already half-way to the promised land.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:07 AM   #88
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Why not choose the quick death at 95?
I always thought my mom would drop dead at 95 on a golf course after hitting a hole in one.

Didn't happen that way, but it should have!
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 06:13 PM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
comforts me, a little.
Actually it does comfort me a little. I'm coming up on 1 full year of retirement and seem to be hitting my stride. Being very apprehensive at first, it just seemed nuts to walk away from a steady, good paying job. Seeing the data of how retired people naturally respond it gives me some comfort that I'll figure it out too. My mother is the only retired person that I know the details of their finances so I'm aware how she deals with the challenges.
As normal for my M.O. I find people who are doing what I want to do and I imitate them until I develop my own style.

Congrats on the impending freedom day BTW.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:01 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I have numerous large discretionary items I can change at will: funding the granddaughters' 529s, travel and charitable donations (although I would hesitate to reduce a church pledge once I made it, I could pledge less the next year). I could even file for SS earlier than planned- I'm 65 and collecting Survivor benefits and planning to wait on my own till age 70. Mid-course corrections are always possible.
Yes we have a large discretionary transfer every year to heirs and charities that we have some flexibility on. At 75 we have never had to but we have been through great markets too.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:09 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Why not choose the quick death at 95?
Dad chose that. A mini-stroke caused him to fall and break his hip, then morphine for 3 days (his choice beforehand).
Old 05-07-2018, 01:52 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Dad chose that. A mini-stroke caused him to fall and break his hip, then morphine for 3 days (his choice beforehand).
How did he get to choose that?
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:30 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
How did he get to choose that?
The first choice was to stop his daily low dose aspirin (causing the mini-stroke), then a DNR. He had told everyone that he was ready.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:40 AM   #94

Quote:
The first choice was to stop his daily low dose aspirin (causing the mini-stroke), then a DNR. He had told everyone that he was ready.
My dad got to choose also. He was on blood meds because of a stoke a few years earlier. He was fine until he fell and had a leg issue. He wasn't in the mood for rehab. They then found cancer in the abdomen. Any and all treatments would basically kill him in his state at the time. He choose to go off the blood meds. He said he would rather die of a heart attack/stroke than waste away with cancer. He was gone a week later.

-"Blow that dough"-Robbie

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:04 PM   #95

My father basically did the same thing at 99, no health issues waited to go to hospice till my sisters arrived three days of morphine, we talked on the phone and I said my goodbye, as I could not get there until the day after. He died in his sleep a few hours after we talked.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:56 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

The thing about my Dad was that we had a visitation at the funeral home and the staff were amazed that 150 people showed up in 2 days. Normally for a 95 yo, there were a dozen or so.

Lots were from his work that he had retired from 30 years before.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:49 PM   #97

Quote:
The thing about my Dad was that we had a visitation at the funeral home and the staff were amazed that 150 people showed up in 2 days. Normally for a 95 yo, there were a dozen or so.

Lots were from his work that he had retired from 30 years before.
Totally opposite with my dad. He gave his body to science. No service. I said me peace. In some ways I am the ying to my dad's yang. He was brilliant with no common sense. Or at least no nerve to act decisively. He had a full ride tennis scholarship to Iowa that he turned down because grampa died the week my dad graduated HS. I didn't and don't judge him. Walk a mile in a man's shoes right. I had a different life than him. He taught me a lot and I will never forget him. We weren't NOT close but not super close either. I'r been a bit over 5 years now. I do miss him.

-"Blow that dough"-Robbie

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:52 PM   #98

My sis, BIL and I all flew to Florida for my mom's 102nd birthday, She had just gotten moved to a nursing home as her money finally ran out.I flew home the next day, and a day later, my BIL called to tell me mom had passed away.
I think she was just waiting to see us one more time.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:55 AM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
Totally opposite with my dad. He gave his body to science. No service. I said me peace. In some ways I am the ying to my dad's yang. He was brilliant with no common sense. Or at least no nerve to act decisively. He had a full ride tennis scholarship to Iowa that he turned down because grampa died the week my dad graduated HS. I didn't and don't judge him. Walk a mile in a man's shoes right. I had a different life than him. He taught me a lot and I will never forget him. We weren't NOT close but not super close either. I'r been a bit over 5 years now. I do miss him.
It has been 18 years for me. But Mom died of cancer at 57, so I got to spend a lot of time with Dad because we moved close to him for 15 years. I always had a project on the go that he could help with.