The Next Depression ?

HaHa said:
Anyway, if it works for me, I can buy a nice Seattle condo and get the hell off the farm. If it doesn't, turnips anyone? :)

That's funny Ha - I'm looking to get out of the city and onto the farm - although methinks I will have to avoid turnips ...

:)

Nords writes:
Well, I can understand Laurence being reluctant to give away his favorite hunting grounds, but I'll trade you for Rappongi streets.

Start in "west" Waikiki at the intersection of Kalakaua & Kuhio. Stroll north along the little side streets (pick any one!) toward the Ala Wai Canal. When you reach Ala Wai Boulevard, turn east and then go south at the next block (across Kuhio) until you reach Kalakaua again. Turn east again, go north at the next block back to the Ala Wai, turn east again, and go south again. Keep mowing the lawn, so to speak, until you run out of Waikiki at Kapahulu (by the zoo). Before you encounter their animals I'm sure you'll attract some sort of attention.

So they have moved mauka? I remember a lot of streetwalkers used to ply their trade right on Kalakaua, more than on Kuhio. Although I can't say if they were Laurence's companions or not.

As for Roppongi, man, I haven't been to that pit in at least 10 years. Went to Gas Panic once just to say I'd been there, but don't know much more I'm afraid. Walk south from the intersection with the "Roppongi: A High-Touch Town" sign, follow the road that curves left, take a left turn a block or two down and go about a block, as I recall. If in doubt, follow the young US military guys, they'll know where the good hunting is.

For architectural history buffs, if you go north from the sign instead of south, I seem to recall you will come to the former site of a famous hotel that Frank Lloyd Wright designed.

Bpp

HaHa said:
Anyway, if it works for me, I can buy a nice Seattle condo ... :)
You must have a hunk of potential profit out there.  Those east side condos are really hot, even the ones in my zip code are churning before ground is broken. 

If MS fills up all the office space they are planning you can soon sub-divide the farm.

bpp said:
Nords writes:
So they have moved mauka?  I remember a lot of streetwalkers used to ply their trade right on Kalakaua, more than on Kuhio.  Although I can't say if they were Laurence's companions or not.

As for Roppongi, man, I haven't been to that pit in at least 10 years.  Went to Gas Panic once just to say I'd been there, but don't know much more I'm afraid.  Walk south from the intersection with the "Roppongi:  A High-Touch Town" sign, follow the road that curves left, take a left turn a block or two down and go about a block, as I recall.  If in doubt, follow the young US military guys, they'll know where the good hunting is.

For architectural history buffs, if you go north from the sign instead of south, I seem to recall you will come to the former site of a famous hotel that Frank Lloyd Wright designed.

Bpp

I don't know any street names except Kuhio, I'm terrible like that.

No the place that my coworker told me about is in downtown honolulu, on the same street as the First Hawaiian Bank building - King Street?

I simply nodded as I finished my set of bench press while watching NASCAR and drinking American beer and flipping through a Hustler, all at the same time. :mad: ;)

No the place that my coworker told me about

I thought you said it was "the host" who told you? Unless you work in a host(ess) bar?

Bpp

bpp said:
I thought you said it was "the host" who told you?  Unless you work in a host(ess) bar?

Bpp

Serious cap on: I was sent to a remote site of our company in Hawaii to help them with some IT issues, thus coworker/host (me being coworker/guest).

Serious cap off: a host(ess) bar? Is that like Tina Turner's "Private Dancer"?

Hi Laurence,

A hostess bar is a place where you go in and get your own personal waitress (the hostess) who will pour your drinks for you while telling you what a big, strong, handsome, intelligent and witty guy you are. If you spend enough money and become a regular, you might eventually get laid. Even if you don't, you will still pay an exorbitant amount just for the drinks and conversation. There are also host bars for women who would like to pay to have their egoes stroked by handsome young men.

In your case, I thought it more polite to leave the gender unspecified.

In all seriousness, though, don't worry, your sexuality is unquestioned.
(A gentleman never asks questions.)

Bpp

HaHa said:
After looking at the price and the low volume/poor liquidity in the Jan07 JPM puts, I decided to stick to QQQQ puts as my bear play. Bought some Jan07 37s. I want to be able to hold into Q4-2006. If the QQQQ reaches 37, my collection of various puts should increase >= $10,000 per 1 point drop on the QQQQ.  I have some at the money, some slightly out, and some pretty far out of the money. These low strikes are long term, so if the QQQQ starts down in earnest it will be worth having them. I guess if volatility picks up, I should gain delta on these quicker than I would otherwise expect. If we get down to 34, I am making $25,000 per point on the QQQQ. The QQQ (forerunner of QQQQ) came kissing close to 20 in the fall of 2002,where it halted its long descent from 110 or so during the late great mania. It then turned around. and made it 37 or so by Christmas 2003. Since then it has only managed to add 3 or 4 points, depending on what day you look.

My money says this is one tired dog, and this is the infamous Year 2 of the US Presidential election cycle.

Anyway, if it works for me, I can buy a nice Seattle condo and get the hell off the farm. If it doesn't, turnips anyone?  :)

Ha

Ha, I assume your decision is made. I'd suggest revisiting the idea in the middle of next week. Goldman, Bear, etc. are reporting earnings this week, so the implied volatility of the puts will be temporarily higher. Should be settled down by next week.

brewer12345 said:
Ha, I assume your decision is made.  I'd suggest revisiting the idea in the middle of next week.  Goldman, Bear, etc. are reporting earnings this week, so the implied volatility of the puts will be temporarily higher.  Should be settled down by next week.

Well, I have already acted. GS reported great earnings this AM.

I'll look next week, but I think I am probably better off messing about with QQQQ. (If anything)  :)

Ha

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom