The Overworked American

moghopper said:

I believe I read that one, but it has been some time now. I also read http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...002-1546745-7308813?v=glance&s=books&n=507846 , which essentially says that many feel more appreciated at work than at home, and thus, work more. Juliet Schor (Overworked American / OverSpent American) takes the position that people buy too much *stuff* they do not need, and have to work longer and harder to pay for it all. The review there states that Schor suggests that "we are also willing victims of this erosion of leisure as we pursue promotions, bigger salaries, and conspicuous consumption. Her solution? Hold jobs to a set number of hours per week, offer comp time for any overtime, and lower our living standards. "

I thought about reading it but it seemed like too much work. I read the synopsis instead. I think the book has plenty of valid, important points.

..Her solution? Hold jobs to a set number of hours per week, offer comp time for any overtime, and lower our living standards.
How about a government job?

Her solution is not very compatible with the global competition we face in 2005 and forward.  Only true solution I see is to get the best job possible in terms of time, money and happiness (or better still, owning a successful small business), and LBYM.  I don't think the rest of the world is going to cooperate with lightening our load ...

Like a number of members on this forum, I got into the computer (gravy train) profession almost 30 years ago. "Gravy train" because I was a musician with no college degree armed with a "free" 3 months crash course on programming. Began making great money with 2 years. I never felt too overworked partially because work for many years was enjoyable and didn't always feel like work until about 10 years ago.

I was wondering if such an easy and lucrative avenue is available for the current generation who are not work at MacDonalds or Walmart? Robbing banks and being a gigolo doesn't count. :D

MJ said:
I was wondering if such an easy and lucrative avenue is available for the current generation who are not work at MacDonalds or Walmart?

Owning a McDonalds or Walmart.

retire@40 said:
Owning a McDonalds or Walmart.

Well, that may cover the lucrative part what about easy? ;)

Her solution is not very compatible with the global competition we face in 2005 and forward.  Only true solution I see is to get the best job possible in terms of time, money and happiness (or better still, owning a successful small business), and LBYM.  I don't think the rest of the world is going to cooperate with lightening our load ...

Apparently, the rest of the world is too busy vacationing to care, if you believe the "Take Back your Time" folks:

We're working more than medieval peasants did, and more than the citizens of any other industrial country.

On average, we work nearly nine full weeks (350 hours) LONGER per year than our peers in Western Europe do.

Working Americans average a little over two weeks of vacation per year, while Europeans average five to six weeks. Many of us (including 37% of women earning less than $40,000 per year) get no paid vacation at all.

There's more of this sort of thing at:  http://www.simpleliving.net/timeday/

Caroline

Caroline said:
On average, we work nearly nine full weeks (350 hours) LONGER per year than our peers in Western Europe do.

Having worked with Europeans in the past, I can testify to the veracity of this statement.

Back
Top Bottom