Join Early Retirement Today

The parking lot snow queen
Old 07-26-2016, 08:02 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Honda CRV has almost 116k miles on it but It is very clean. Other than the normal stuff (tires, breaks, oil changes) in all the years I've owned it since I bought it new It has only asked for a new alternator last year. For the past 3 years it has been my daughters parking lot queen 4 hours away at a snowy and cold college. I gave her my newer car for an internship 3 hours south for the summer. I now drive the old gal 9.5 miles to work 3 days a week. I like driving it because it is like an old comfortable pair of shoes.

The old gal is getting some flutter in the front end now. I'm betting it is struts I estimate front struts and rear shocks be $600 - $1000 to replace. My daughter will be studying abroad for her the fall semester but will be back at school come January.
I don't like driving the car when it isn't 100%.

My plan is to fix the car and let it do the parking lot snow queen act for DD's last semester. Old cars
(with a new battery)are good for the cold weather as they turn over easier. I'm thinking a grand is nothing these days - given the cost of a newer set of wheels. Oh yeah DD has triple A.

Every now and then I'm thinking new something but conspicuous consumption isnt in my wiring (too bad John Deere doesn't make a car) I guess the alternative is to buy another 2 or 3 year old RAV4 for me or the daughter and keep old Betsy for the 17year old son.

Any Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forumh
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2016, 08:49 PM   #2

Keep the CRV. $1,000 repair is nothing.
I love all the sexy new cars and all their features. I would also love to buy a muscle/sports car that proves my masculinity. However, my 2003 Subaru with 152,000 miles keeps going, is reliable and costs me almost nothing in repairs, taxes and insurance. You CRV situation is the same.
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:55 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Our old CRV has 150K and I just spent a few hundred to get the brakes redone (first time since we bought it with 100K on the odometer.) I've replaced the battery once in 8 years and had to replace a leaking radiator (I think the car had been in a minor accident before we purchased it.) It's kind of odd, but whenever I shell out money for the old beast, I kind of smile - thinking how much more a monthly car payment would be - every month! I know it's likely we will need to replace the CRV within the next 50K, but I'm hoping when that happens, I can find another CRV or similar vehicle of about 10 years vintage with relatively low miles - and very limited electronics. If I can do that, it could well be our last car. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:43 AM   #4

Likewise - our CRV has around 150K on it as well. Yes, it has the occasional big ($500-$1K) fix, but then it keeps going. Though we tend to buy new cars and pay cash for them and run them into the ground, I still think of repairs in terms of car payment units. This is - wow, that repair is $1K? Wait, that's the equivalent of only 2 or 3 (pick your own number) car payments. After that we're ahead. :-)
big-papa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:04 AM   #5

Same as above. Ours is a 2002 and, at 14 years and counting, I see no reason to replace it as it just runs and runs and we can carry most anything.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:07 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Sounds a bit premature for struts unless you have a lot of bad roads. How are tires/alignment? $1000 is reasonable but maybe you just need bushings, etc. Give the ol girl some TLC. If you do need shocks, Monroe seems to have a perpetual rebate and it's hard to beat Rockauto for parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-27-2016, 07:39 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post

Any Thoughts?
how does the a/c work at idle?
Old 07-27-2016, 07:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I was thinking the same thing but I thought I haven't been on this forum long enough to put it out there.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:02 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Old 07-27-2016, 08:07 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I replaced my own front struts with a complete assembly which included the springs and top bearing. It was a piece of cake - just 5 bolts. Not expensive, either and even came with a rebate.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:10 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I replaced my own front struts with a complete assembly which included the springs and top bearing. It was a piece of cake - just 5 bolts. Not expensive, either and even came with a rebate.
it's not that bad a job to swap complete struts/springs if you know what you are doing

definitely get an alignment right away though

if you are replacing the struts and are reusing the old springs or vice/versa, then you need a spring compressor and all that stuff, plus you may have to bleed the brake line. not my idea of fun

shops quote a lot to do strut replacements. I think the last guy quoted me 500 bux (i had the kyb struts and swift springs already) so I had a friend do it for 150, which was an easy call money wise.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:28 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Just put $1,600 in my 2004 Toyota Solara convertible (75K miles) for new brakes, calipers and tires. They don't make a lot of new convertibles that aren't in the "luxury" category, and I have no interest in paying a lot for a new car, so I'm going to try to drive this one as long as I can still feel safe in her.
ChicagoGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:55 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

At your mileage the most likely problem is the stabilizer bar links at the front and rear bar. I prefer to buy MOOG brand which come with a lifetime warranty. You might also need ball joints and control arms, these wear out before the struts.
HF63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:02 PM   #14

Bad struts rarely cause what I would describe as a 'flutter in the front end'. I immediately thought of a tire or tires that are either unbalanced or out of round that could cause a slight shimmy depending on speed. The problem might not be anywhere near $1000 to fix. And a RAV4 with 116,000 miles is just getting broken in.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:11 PM   #15

Quote:

Your funny... My son says 'just fine'.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:30 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Your funny...
well they call me the joker
Old 08-04-2016, 08:41 PM   #17

The parts for the snow queen shipped (upper and lower air cleaner assemblies that broke when I couldn't get the stripped and frozen bolts out) $170 this time anti seize. The queen is going into Honda to figure out what that bouncie motion is all about? Tie rods or what ever..it is getting repaired.

The queen is an inanimate object but she's been good to us and she deserves another 25,000 miles

Old 08-04-2016, 09:35 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's cheaper to keep 'er!
Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Your funny... My son says 'just fine'.

I'd was wondering too. I plan to keep my CRV for several more years, but the AC is a definite weakness. Very poorly engineered AC systems in the 3rd model series. They recalled them for new AC clutches, but they needed to issue a more comprehensive recall on the entire compression system. I'm tired of taking it in every other spring for a full recharge.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:38 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
I'd was wondering too. I plan to keep my CRV for several more years, but the AC is a definite weakness. Very poorly engineered AC systems in the 3rd model series. They recalled them for new AC clutches, but they needed to issue a more comprehensive recall on the entire compression system. I'm tired of taking it in every other spring for a full recharge.

Odd but the ac in mine will blow me out of there...
I don't want to jinx myself but air and heat in that car are fine....