Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-08-2017, 06:13 PM   #241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Picture a young doctor that gets a severe head injury and can't practice anymore. He can do a menial job for a low wage. There but for the grace of God go I. People's lives can be shattered in an incident.
This reminds me of an event that happened when I was a police officer. Another officer handled a traffic accident with a "relatively minor" injury to one of the participants - he'd broken two fingers on his left hand that fortunately would heal up fully - in about two months. For most people this is not a 100% disabling injury. Inconvenient, but most can probably work around it for a while.

He asked "What am I going to do? I can't work with this injury".

"What kind of work do you do?"

"I'm an orthodontist."

"First thing tomorrow morning, call a lawyer".
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2017, 01:39 AM   #242
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I tire of hearing how the lazy use SSDI.
DW was on SS disability the last 16 months of her life.
She was examined by a doctor I wouldn't let touch my cat and a psych that was just as bad.
She was denied and we had to get a lawyer to finally get what she was due....a whole $725 a month.
The doctors, lawyers, and people employed by the system made out well, she was made to feel like a lying slacker.
DGF has stage 4 ovarian cancer. She didn't have to jump through hoops as they recognize it might slow her down a bit, and is living large on that $600 some odd a month.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:42 AM   #243
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Gravitysucks for pointing out the realities of SSDI. I get sick of hearing people say things that in general are not true just because they might know of 1 person that they think should not get it. Most people want to work and you can't live on what you get from SSDI.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:49 AM   #244

What we know:
1) When the "labor participation rate" (a good measure of the true availability of jobs/attractiveness of the job mrket) goes down, SSDI claims go up. When getting a job is hard, more people file SSDI claims. I have not found a study indicating that job scarcity causes increasing numbers of bad backs or other physical infirmity, but maybe it does.
2) For low-paid workers, SSDI replaces 90% of the income they were receiving when they worked. That doesn't provide much economic incentive for those people to get off the program.

From this MIT report:
Quote:
"[SSDI] Monthly benefits currently [2011] average $1,150 for new awardees and are indexed to the Consumer Price Index. Two years following the onset of disability, beneficiaries become entitled to Medicare benefits"
Above observations are not based on "n=1" anecdotal reports.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:21 PM   #245
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Thanks Gravitysucks for pointing out the realities of SSDI. I get sick of hearing people say things that in general are not true just because they might know of 1 person that they think should not get it. Most people want to work and you can't live on what you get from SSDI.

As I said, the people I know have been on for awhile... You had mentioned that drug use was something that could get you on but had been taken away... I had asked when that happened, but no response...

The other people that I know that are getting it have children with special needs...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:27 PM   #246
Give me a forum ...

Most people want to work. We had many SSDI recipients come to our program voluntarily requesting help to either get a job or retrain for a new job. It is hard for people that are disabled to find jobs. There is lots of prejudice and employers often don't want to make accommodations. We would pay for accommodations and of course this encourages employers to hire disabled people. The reason that the Feds created the nation wide program known as Vocational Rehabilitation was because the number of disabled people that were working was very low because of all the discrimination. It was not that they were lazy and did not want to work. I can also tell you that many people in the trades wear their bodies out and by 50's can't do it anymore. To compound the problem many of them were not good in school and don't read well enough to retrain for a sedentary job. I have seen lots of people lose homes, savings, marriages while fighting for SSDI over a 2 year period. No matter what you think they would rather be working.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:28 PM   #247
Give me a forum ...

TP: I can't remember exactly when that stopped but it was sometime after 1992 when I started to work in the field. Also they may be getting it for a different reason then drugs. So if they have brain damage or a mental illness from the drugs then they may qualify with a different diagnosis if it is severe.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:31 PM   #248
Give me a forum ...

Yes some kids with special needs may qualify mainly because of the huge expenses associated with a severe disability such as the costs of wheelchairs, in home care needed, etc. Still cheaper to help parents with services they need to keep them home versus an institution.