Join Early Retirement Today

The significance of 59 1/2
Old 07-04-2008, 06:21 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

The significance of 59 1/2

59 1/2 is when you can start taking distributions on retirement accounts, but does it hold any other form of significance?

My parents are approaching this age and was curious about any advice I could pass on to them, they are 59 and 58, one will be working until they are 62 and the other until 65 in order to hit their retirement goals.

On a side note, it is fairly awkward talking with them about retirement when my own goal is to retire early sometime near 40, at least if my numbers actually do match up to my predictions.
plex is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

will you at least wait till they have retired? awfully awkward to retire before they do.
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 07:25 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Luckily I don't have to worry about that, I am 24, they would have to wait until they were in their late 70's, at least, in order to retire at the same time or after me.
plex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by d View Post
will you at least wait till they have retired? awfully awkward to retire before they do.
I have a friend that owned his own company and absolutely loved what he did, but he finally decided to retire about 2 years ago...at age 80. One of his sons retired about 1 year before that, but had decided to not tell his dad until after dad retired. One day the son decided to come for a visit, and his dad was a bit perplexed about it since it was in the middle of the school year, and the son was a teacher. Dad asked how he managed to get off work from the school at that time of year. OOPS! Son forgot about that, and the cat was outta the bag. The son had retired, but dear old dad was still plugging away!

Although the dad is happily retired, he still goes in occasionally to work for his youngest son who took over his business when he retired.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by d View Post
I don't find the question to be premature. My husband and I are both working and both of us have passed this 59 1/2 thing. I am weighing the options that we have, especially when he retires next year. For example, should we convert part of his deferred to Roth if our cash-flow makes it harder to continue to contribute to his Roth? Should we convert some to taxable as we can do this more slowly than the age 70 1/2 dump? Is it better in the long run to take a little tax to reduce future tax rate risk in the far future? My problem is that I am not so good with tax estimates. For example, I want to sell my oil stocks and can't figure out what impact on AMT kick-in that this might have. I really do want to enjoy the 15% capital gains rate.

If plex is better than I am at figuring out the pros and cons, I think it would be worthwhile to investigate a few things prior to retirement date.
Tadpole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
For example, I want to sell my oil stocks and can't figure out what impact on AMT kick-in that this might have. I really do want to enjoy the 15% capital gains rate.
Try the tax calculator here Tax Calculator - Tax Tools and Calculators - H&R Block

(assumption, of course, that rates, etc. are like 2007 which they may/may not be in the future)
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:51 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
For example, should we convert part of his deferred to Roth if our cash-flow makes it harder to continue to contribute to his Roth? Should we convert some to taxable as we can do this more slowly than the age 70 1/2 dump? Is it better in the long run to take a little tax to reduce future tax rate risk in the far future? My problem is that I am not so good with tax estimates. For example, I want to sell my oil stocks and can't figure out what impact on AMT kick-in that this might have. I really do want to enjoy the 15% capital gains rate.
Without knowing all your specifics, a Roth conversion is usually a good idea if it can be done in the 15% bracket or lower. And if you have reason to believe AMTs will kick you into much higher brackets, then even at the 25% level it can make sense in some situations.

As for capital gains and taxable accounts, I have little faith that LTCG rates will remain at 15%. I suspect they will be raised in the next few years. I don't expect to see a reversion to taxation as ordinary income, but I would expect to see a cap in the 20-25% range instead of 15%. But what do I know...?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 11:30 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It isn't financial, but I'd suggest encouraging your parents to get medically checked up. Things to consider would be colonoscopies, mammograms, and prostate exams. Their doctor could of course give them a full list.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by plex View Post
59 1/2 is when you can start taking distributions on retirement accounts, but does it hold any other form of significance?
Actually, you can start taking distributions from retirement accounts at any age. Also, you can take them without penalty if you take them in Substantially Equal Periodic Payments for at least 5 years.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote