Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2020, 12:33 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
target2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Stuck in the mud somewhere in the NJ swamp
Posts: 8,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneill225 View Post
Backward looking and a poor predictor of future unemployment (or those wanting to work). This was made clear by the past employment report. The stock market is forward looking and it is telling us that the economy is motoring through a temporary set-back.
Every set-back is temporary, correct?

How is future unemployment those wanting to work? Now I'm really confused.
target2019 is offline  
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2020, 12:41 PM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Perhaps you are just a very optimistic person, or reading between the lines are drinking some current Admin kool aid.
Powell stated the unemployment rate could be between 9-10% by year end. Is that a V shaped recovery?
The stock market only reflects the stock market,not the big picture.Do you know what the big picture is regarding the economy and people working and surviving financially? Do you know what pct of the population owns about 90 pct of all stocks?
JJpop is offline  
Old 06-13-2020, 12:54 PM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tacoma
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJpop View Post
Sorry, meant 500 billion and they refuse to disclose where the money went. They say it is confidential which is complete b.s.
If it is so tough to keep it a secret, wondering why nobody can get the data.
In basic usage “most” people do not use most as meaning over 50 pct.
A bit off topic, but I was not aware that this was a big controversy. A quick search found the following link that names all of the public companies receiving loans:

https://factba.se/sba-loans

I think congress has better info than this, so maybe not as reprehensible as some in congress may have you believe.
oneill225 is offline  
Old 06-13-2020, 12:58 PM   #84
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tacoma
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Perhaps you are just a very optimistic person, or reading between the lines are drinking some current Admin kool aid.
Powell stated the unemployment rate could be between 9-10% by year end. Is that a V shaped recovery?
I tend to be optimistic when the situation looks optimistic. Even 9% would be grounds for optimism regarding the economy. I think the Fed is being a bit conservative; as is their job.
oneill225 is offline  
Old 06-13-2020, 01:11 PM   #85
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tacoma
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Every set-back is temporary, correct?

How is future unemployment those wanting to work? Now I'm really confused.
Sorry for the confusion.

My point is fairly simple. During this time of a pandemic and self-imposed shut-down of the economy, backward looking labor numbers help very little in predicting future labor numbers.

This is why the last employment report caught the "experts" off-guard. It turns out that Americans are returning to the work force much faster than predicted.

No. Not every set-back is temporary. I don't recall saying that.
oneill225 is offline  
Old 06-13-2020, 01:14 PM   #86
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 16,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneill225 View Post
A bit off topic, but I was not aware that this was a big controversy. A quick search found the following link that names all of the public companies receiving loans:

https://factba.se/sba-loans

I think congress has better info than this, so maybe not as reprehensible as some in congress may have you believe.
That list is only for public companies. There are aso private companies that received PPP loans. I know of two locally.
__________________
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth...philosopher Mike Tyson
aja8888 is offline  
Old 06-13-2020, 01:17 PM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
That list is only for public companies. There are aso private companies that received PPP loans. I know of two locally.
The administration refuses to list the 4.5 million companies that received 500 billion. That is a fact,not an opinion.
JJpop is offline  
Old 06-13-2020, 01:28 PM   #88
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tacoma
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJpop View Post
The stock market only reflects the stock market,not the big picture.Do you know what the big picture is regarding the economy and people working and surviving financially? Do you know what pct of the population owns about 90 pct of all stocks?
Generally, the stock market reflects public confidence in whatever company/sector stock is being traded. If business is bad, then stocks tend to go down. The fact that the market has rebounded quickly indicates that stock buyers believe that the economy (driven by business) is also rebounding quickly. It is a leading indicator. Always correct? Of course not, but better than trying to predict employment based on April's wild employment numbers.

Regardless of what relation you believe the stock market has to the overall economy, you must be aware that the economy was soaring before the shut-downs. I believe we entered March of this year with record low unemployment and low inflation. This is very different from past recessions when the economy was suffering. This means that we should fully recover much more quickly than in past recessions. The stock market is anticipating, as much.
oneill225 is offline  
Old 06-13-2020, 01:29 PM   #89
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tacoma
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
That list is only for public companies. There are aso private companies that received PPP loans. I know of two locally.
Fine. Not top secret, as far as I know.
oneill225 is offline  
Old 06-13-2020, 01:30 PM   #90
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tacoma
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJpop View Post
The administration refuses to list the 4.5 million companies that received 500 billion. That is a fact,not an opinion.
What is your source for this accusation? Who contends that this information is not currently available to congress?
oneill225 is offline  
Old 06-13-2020, 01:47 PM   #91
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Sunset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Posts: 13,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneill225 View Post
I tend to be optimistic when the situation looks optimistic. Even 9% would be grounds for optimism regarding the economy. I think the Fed is being a bit conservative; as is their job.
Yes you are optimistic.

9% unemployment is not a good level of unemployment, it's about twice what is considered a good enough level.

We are no where near 9%.

However, it is possible the stock market will again ignore the new unemployed filings this Thursday coming up (I'm estimating them to be approximately 1 million).
It's like being on the Titanic listening to the band play....
__________________
Fortune favors the prepared mind. ... Louis Pasteur
Sunset is offline  
Old 06-13-2020, 01:50 PM   #92
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
target2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Stuck in the mud somewhere in the NJ swamp
Posts: 8,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneill225 View Post
What is your source for this accusation? Who contends that this information is not currently available to congress?
Secretary of the U.S. Treasury?
target2019 is offline  
Old 06-13-2020, 01:59 PM   #93
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tacoma
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Yes you are optimistic.

9% unemployment is not a good level of unemployment, it's about twice what is considered a good enough level.

We are no where near 9%.

However, it is possible the stock market will again ignore the new unemployed filings this Thursday coming up (I'm estimating them to be approximately 1 million).
It's like being on the Titanic listening to the band play....
Compared to the current numbers, it is quite good. That is the point.
oneill225 is offline  
Old 06-13-2020, 02:07 PM   #94
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tacoma
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Secretary of the U.S. Treasury?
Thanks for making me aware of this issue. I agree that the recipients should eventually be made public in some form.

There are two sides to the story, however, according to the Washington Post. The treasury claims that private businesses could be harmed by the release of too much information (proprietary information that could help their competition). Sen Rubio is attempting to work out a compromise to release some the info without the potentially harmful parts. If we are still talking about this 6 months from now, I will join you in your outrage about not releasing all of the info now.

As it stands, not reprehensible, in my opinion.
oneill225 is offline  
Old 06-13-2020, 03:40 PM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneill225 View Post
Generally, the stock market reflects public confidence in whatever company/sector stock is being traded. If business is bad, then stocks tend to go down. The fact that the market has rebounded quickly indicates that stock buyers believe that the economy (driven by business) is also rebounding quickly. It is a leading indicator. Always correct? Of course not, but better than trying to predict employment based on April's wild employment numbers.

Regardless of what relation you believe the stock market has to the overall economy, you must be aware that the economy was soaring before the shut-downs. I believe we entered March of this year with record low unemployment and low inflation. This is very different from past recessions when the economy was suffering. This means that we should fully recover much more quickly than in past recessions. The stock market is anticipating, as much.
There is a big difference between being employed and being employed in a job that pays enough to live a good life. The market has also been propped up by the Fed since 2008. People are finally realizing the truth about the wealth divide. I believe 90 pct of stock market wealth is in the hands of 10 pct of the people. I say that as someone fortunate to be retired with no money concerns.
JJpop is offline  
Just not seeing all the gloom and doom.
Old 06-13-2020, 03:52 PM   #96
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
misanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,058
Just not seeing all the gloom and doom.

Maybe we are the exception, but none of our three children and their spouses have had their employment impacted by the government mandated shutdown (except to work from home in some cases). I recognize that there are many others who are not so lucky. Also, our grandson who just graduated in May was hired right away for a position consistent with his degree. Our younger grandchildren who are old enough to have summer jobs, have them. Our savings accounts have "ballooned" this year even though I reduced withdrawals by 25% because we haven't been spending. Just now thinking about how we might "blow the dough". I just offer this as anecdotal support for a rebound that might be more robust than we anticipate,
__________________
"Don't you draw the queen of diamonds, boy, she'll beat you if she's able.
You know the queen of hearts is always your best bet" -- The Eagles, Desperado
misanman is offline  
Old 06-13-2020, 03:58 PM   #97
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sarasota, FL & Vermont
Posts: 32,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneill225 View Post
I tend to be optimistic when the situation looks optimistic. Even 9% would be grounds for optimism regarding the economy. I think the Fed is being a bit conservative; as is their job.
There is a thin line between optimism and delusion... WADR I think you are delusional if you think 9% unemployment would be grounds for optimism especially when consumer spending was 70% of GDP.

I guess we'll know better in 6-12 months.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline  
Old 06-13-2020, 04:16 PM   #98
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tacoma
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJpop View Post
There is a big difference between being employed and being employed in a job that pays enough to live a good life. The market has also been propped up by the Fed since 2008. People are finally realizing the truth about the wealth divide. I believe 90 pct of stock market wealth is in the hands of 10 pct of the people. I say that as someone fortunate to be retired with no money concerns.
You are wrong about the Fed. They were attempting to raise interest rates and reduce the balance sheet during Trump's first two years. They are full in, now, though.

There is nothing wrong with being wealthy; we should encourage more of it. Record low unemployment and wages rising faster than inflation are a good way to start.

I've had some pretty miserable jobs during my life, but I never envied those who had more, I just worked harder to try to achieve the same. Opportunity is why immigrants from around the globe fight to come here. Pretending that the economy and the stock market only works for the rich is a cop-out.

Let's remember that every healthy individual who wanted a job could get one prior to the shut-downs. Let's hope it gets back to those levels as soon as possible. It looks like we are heading in that direction despite all those damn rich people.
oneill225 is offline  
Old 06-13-2020, 04:21 PM   #99
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tacoma
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
There is a thin line between optimism and delusion... WADR I think you are delusional if you think 9% unemployment would be grounds for optimism especially when consumer spending was 70% of GDP.

I guess we'll know better in 6-12 months.
I did not come up with the 9% number, the Fed did. My point is that very few were predicting 9% at the end of the year just three weeks ago when we were supposed to hit 20% unemployment.

I think unemployment will be even lower than 9% by the end of the year, but going from 20% to 9% in six months is significant to most people.
oneill225 is offline  
Old 06-13-2020, 05:04 PM   #100
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Helen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneill225 View Post
Regardless of what relation you believe the stock market has to the overall economy, you must be aware that the economy was soaring before the shut-downs. I believe we entered March of this year with record low unemployment and low inflation. This is very different from past recessions when the economy was suffering. This means that we should fully recover much more quickly than in past recessions. The stock market is anticipating, as much.
I have to disagree that the economy was soaring before the shutdown. The yield curve inverted last summer (not a positive sign) and more importantly, manufacturing data was showing a slow down.

"Manufacturing activity continued to lag in November amid a decline in inventories and new orders, according to the latest ISM Manufacturing reading released Monday.
The reading came in at 48.1 vs. an expectation of 49.4 and the previous month’s reading of 48.3.

Though the level is usually reported as a simple number, it actually denotes the percentage of manufacturers planning to expand operations. A reading below 50 represents contraction; November was the fourth straight month below the expansion level."

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/02/ism-...mber-2019.html

Quote:
Let's remember that every healthy individual who wanted a job could get one prior to the shut-downs. Let's hope it gets back to those levels as soon as possible. It looks like we are heading in that direction despite all those damn rich people.
I saw help wanted signs up all around Portland, the problem was no one could afford to take the jobs because they weren't paying living wages.
Helen is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about the economy, stock market, and near future LOL! FIRE and Money 47 12-10-2018 04:21 PM
Stock Market "Experts" told us in 2012 that the market was over valued! Forced to Retire Active Investing, Market Strategies & Alternative Assets 42 09-19-2016 02:45 AM
Should the stock market be temporarily closed until the economy gets better? cloudeleven FIRE and Money 26 02-23-2009 09:54 PM
Hmm, stock market or Money Market/CD? Moneycoming Active Investing, Market Strategies & Alternative Assets 4 08-14-2007 06:41 PM
Housing prices down; Stock Market down; Economy slowing; & the benefits dex FIRE and Money 32 03-16-2007 04:46 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:14 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.