Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 05:10 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah the Conference Board announced last week that the recession officially started in February, well before any of the lockdowns.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2020, 05:13 PM   #102
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I have to disagree that the economy was soaring before the shutdown. The yield curve inverted last summer (not a positive sign) and more importantly, manufacturing data was showing a slow down.

"Manufacturing activity continued to lag in November amid a decline in inventories and new orders, according to the latest ISM Manufacturing reading released Monday.
The reading came in at 48.1 vs. an expectation of 49.4 and the previous month’s reading of 48.3.

Though the level is usually reported as a simple number, it actually denotes the percentage of manufacturers planning to expand operations. A reading below 50 represents contraction; November was the fourth straight month below the expansion level."

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/02/ism-...mber-2019.html

I saw help wanted signs up all around Portland, the problem was no one could afford to take the jobs because they weren't paying living wages.
What were they living on that made a $15 hr job look unaffordable?
Old 06-13-2020, 05:16 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Yeah the Conference Board announced last week that the recession officially started in February, well before any of the lockdowns.
Wow, seriously? The NBER usually takes a year to determine/announce when a recession started.

Apparently so: https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/08/econo...ber/index.html
Old 06-13-2020, 05:18 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Sorry, it was the NBER, not the Conference Board.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/20...nd/5320859002/
Old 06-13-2020, 05:20 PM   #105
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I saw help wanted signs up all around Portland, the problem was no one could afford to take the jobs because they weren't paying living wages.
Nice narrative, but it looks to me like unemployment in Portland was 3% before Covid. ~5% is usually considered full employment.

https://www.deptofnumbers.com/unempl...egon/portland/

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
Old 06-13-2020, 05:20 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneill225 View Post
What were they living on that made a $15 hr job look unaffordable?
Minimum wage in Portland Metro is rising to $12.50 an hour beginning next month. You seem to be pulling "facts" out of the air throughout your posts.

https://hr.oregonstate.edu/employees...imum-wage-rate
Old 06-13-2020, 05:24 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Wow, seriously? The NBER usually takes a year to announcing when a recession started.

Apparently so: https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/08/econo...ber/index.html
A little misleading. The economy peaked in Feb, but the pandemic has pushed it into negative territory since. I'm sensing a little desperation to rewrite history.
Old 06-13-2020, 05:25 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
Nice narrative, but it looks to me like unemployment in Portland was 3% before Covid. ~5% is usually considered full employment.

https://www.deptofnumbers.com/unempl...egon/portland/
It would be pretty tough to live in Portland on less than $24,000 per year.
Old 06-13-2020, 05:28 PM   #109

Quote:
Minimum wage in Portland Metro is rising to $12.50 an hour beginning next month. You seem to be pulling "facts" out of the air throughout your posts.

https://hr.oregonstate.edu/employees...imum-wage-rate
Sorry, Portland is a little behind Seattle. I will ask again what all of these executives in waiting are living on if the available jobs are so beneath them?
Old 06-13-2020, 05:41 PM   #110
Administrator

What was the thread topic again?
Old 06-13-2020, 05:56 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A little misleading. The economy peaked in Feb, but the pandemic has pushed it into negative territory since. I'm sensing a little desperation to rewrite history.
Recessions start at a peak.
Old 06-13-2020, 06:25 PM   #112

Quote:
Recessions start at a peak.
We had a shock to the economy from the pandemic. If you are claiming that a recession was imminent in early February without the pandemic, you are rewriting history. More likely that the US economy would have continued to improve on the heels of the phase one China trade agreement (without a global pandemic).
Old 06-13-2020, 06:45 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

I didn’t make any claim. NBER announced that as the peak of the prior business cycle which is how they denote the beginning of a recession.
Old 06-13-2020, 07:08 PM   #114

Quote:
I didn’t make any claim. NBER announced that as the peak of the prior business cycle which is how they denote the beginning of a recession.
That is interesting and I do not dispute that a recession could be defined in that way.

The context of my comments, however, was in regards to the state of the US economy prior to the effects of the pandemic. I contend that the economy was doing well and likely would have done even better. A recession certainly would not have occurred over the past few months were it not for the pandemic. Others have suggested that the economy was faltering with or without the pandemic.
Old 06-13-2020, 07:27 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

NBER is the body that determines US business cycles which include recessions and they have their methodology. So it is officially defined that way. https://www.nber.org/cycles/jan08bcdc_memo.html
Old 06-13-2020, 07:42 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

I agree, the stock market is not the economy.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:26 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I did not come up with the 9% number, the Fed did. My point is that very few were predicting 9% at the end of the year just three weeks ago when we were supposed to hit 20% unemployment.

I think unemployment will be even lower than 9% by the end of the year, but going from 20% to 9% in six months is significant to most people.
You misunderstood my point. I wasn't quibbling with the idea that unemployment might decline to 9% by years end.... that seems plausible.

We did hit close to 20% unemployment in April after the misclassification errors are adjusted for... 19.4% IIRC..., and if unemployment declines to 9% by year end that will be good, but the economy will still be in the crapper, as will stocks.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 06-13-2020, 09:49 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Last quarter of 2019 also was lower than expected so the economy was trending down.
Old 06-13-2020, 11:22 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I agree, the stock market is not the economy.
Are you sure you really want to stay on topic
Old 06-14-2020, 02:57 AM   #120
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Are you sure you really want to stay on topic
Will double down.... The stock market is not the economy. Jobs data, income data, spending, inflation, GDP and consumer confidence are better indicators of economy.

As of now, unemployment/jobs data is at its worst in a generation, household income is notably lower than before COVID as many also took paycuts, overall retail sales down, consumer confidence not great despite $600 extra on unemployment that will go away soon. The state of these may return to Feb levels or may not through next year... or 10+ years. No one knows. The longer it takes for recovery, the higher the chances of a secondary downward snowball effect. There's also global dependency to factor.
Closed Thread