Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-04-2021, 06:42 AM   #61

Apple still has less than half the phone market in the US. The rest are on androids. I know plenty of folks with older apples, who will never go near the latest one. Or, in a family, one might have a newish one, then their old one goes a hand me down route. Kind of like cars? Maybe the kid teen gets an upgrade for a birthday, that sort of thing.

We're a solid google/android house here, and we debate over spending even $400 for a new phone, and almost always do so with some deal. Oh and our Fi plans are $30 or so a month. I think the only thing I'm missing is the facial locking thing which I would hate anyway.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2021, 07:12 AM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
+2. The last three phones that we have had are Lenovo/Motorola Motos. Great phones that do all we need for less than $200.
Pb4,
Same here. I truly do not understand the premium people are willing to pay for an iPhone over an Android.
I think it is basically a popularity contest.
The latest android phones are amazing in my opinion.
JP
JP.mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:25 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP.mpls View Post
Pb4,
Same here. I truly do not understand the premium people are willing to pay for an iPhone over an Android.
Great Marketing, as usual, along with a cult following.
Old 11-04-2021, 07:27 AM   #64

I like a good cell phone. DH does not…actually he doesn’t like a phone at all,but will carry a cell phone. For years my goal was was $100 per year for cell phone and service. Actually, it was pretty easy to meet this goal using Tracfone bundles. Then I decided that I wanted an upgrade and bought an unlocked Moto G6. DH now has the G6 since his ancient flip phone became problematic. I moved onto a Samsung Galaxy S9 paired with a Smartwatch. I decided that this was a toy that I wanted and could afford.

Now I’m still dirt cheap when it comes to cell phone plans. I have recently extended both my and my husband’s phone service for three years for free playing Tracfone reward games. Free is a good price. [emoji3]
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 02:26 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by teetee View Post
I will switch my network and keep the phone as long as I can, until all the vendors give up 4G LTE network.
I have a friend with an iPhone 4S. Email and pictures.
Old 11-04-2021, 02:41 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
Free phone sure, but you pay way more for monthly service than with something like Mint for $15/mo. They get your money one way or the other.

I've said this in other phone threads - get a year or two old new(ish) flagship phone for 50% or more off of retail, keep it until it starts flaking out. Then BYOD to a cheap plan.
I have 9 lines and pay $140-180, taxes included, each month. Plus I get Netflix free, TMobile Tuesday Offers (minimally each line can benefit from this by saving 10 cents per gallon on gas fill-ups, there are some other freebies or discounts offered each week such as a free chicken sandwich at Wendy's this week, it was a free Whopper a couple weeks ago, ad free Pandora on weekends, etc) , free international calling and data (great when I travel out of the country, real nice for cruising as you are in port for short time so wouldn't make sense to get a SIM locally) and will be getting a free year of Paramount+ starting next month. So can you tell me how you figure I'm paying "way more" for my service? [emoji41]
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 02:48 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
I have 9 lines and pay $140-180, taxes included, each month. Plus I get Netflix free, TMobile Tuesday Offers (minimally each line can benefit from this by saving 10 cents per gallon on gas fill-ups, there are some other freebies or discounts offered each week such as a free chicken sandwich at Wendy's this week, it was a free Whopper a couple weeks ago, ad free Pandora on weekends, etc) , free international calling and data (great when I travel out of the country, real nice for cruising as you are in port for short time so wouldn't make sense to get a SIM locally) and will be getting a free year of Paramount+ starting next month. So can you tell me how you figure I'm paying "way more" for my service? [emoji41]
Right I think it's funny some posters have 100k plus worth of vehicles in their garages and start getting all high and mighty about the cost of cell phones.

It's my money I'll buy the plan and phone that works for me.

You know if you drove a 15 old year car with bald tires you'd have way more money for your retirement!!!
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:31 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP.mpls View Post
I truly do not understand the premium people are willing to pay for an iPhone over an Android.
I think it is basically a popularity contest.
The latest android phones are amazing in my opinion.
JP
I have an iPhone and will be getting the 13 Pro soon, but I don't consider myself a member of the Apple "cult". In fact, I am a dedicated Windows desktop/laptop user and will never purchase or use a Mac. I am a dedicated Android tablet user and will (almost certainly) never purchase an iPad. And I have no real interest in an Apple Watch. What I do like is their phones, although I fully understand that Android phones are very capable devices that I could get used to and enjoy using if I switched.

All that said, however, I do believe that Apple is much better about end user privacy and security than Google. I listened to a long podcast about this a few years ago that convinced me that Apple is much more trustworthy than Google, Amazon, or Microsoft when it comes to end user security, privacy, and data collection/sharing. For that reason, and because I'm so used to the interface and actually like the iOS UI more than Android in many ways, I am sticking with iPhones for now. And... I can easily afford it.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:22 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I frequently upgrade my Apple products to the latest version because I enjoy them. If I was struggling financially I would not do so. But at this point in my life I’m more concerned about leaving a large sum of money on the table when I’m no longer around, so there is no reason to deny myself the enjoyment of having the latest technology. If I didn’t enjoy it, I would not spend the money on it.

+1
Piper20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:58 PM   #70

It’s just a phone!

But, mine is transparent with my iPad and Mac and iCloud and AppleTV … I love my Apple stuff 😀
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 12:12 PM   #71

Most people don't pay $1000 for a $1000 phone.

First, there is often a trade-in discount. Second, there are almost always 'deals'. Third, most people make monthly payments.

Just for kicks I priced an iPhone 12 Mini w/ no trade-in at AT&T. I could get it for $67/month, which includes the unlimited data plan. The phone hardware would be under $10/mo and the net price paid for the phone is *one-half* the normal price.

Yes, new *iPhone* (last year's model) for about $300 net. Much less w/ a trade-in.

Or, I could buy a new iPhone 13 Pro Max from Apple. After a small trade-in from my old iPhone 8 it would be about $41/mo for 2 years. Just below $1000 net, but in a much more affordable payment scheme, and could be done without harming emergency cash reserves. Or I could get an iPhone 13 for $35/mo and automatically get a new phone every year. Once you start thinking of the hardware payment as part of your monthly phone costs the actual individual unit cost loses its sting.

Of course this works a lot better if you are fully employed or FI. lol
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 10:14 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
Most people don't pay $1000 for a $1000 phone.

First, there is often a trade-in discount. Second, there are almost always 'deals'. Third, most people make monthly payments.

Just for kicks I priced an iPhone 12 Mini w/ no trade-in at AT&T. I could get it for $67/month, which includes the unlimited data plan. The phone hardware would be under $10/mo and the net price paid for the phone is *one-half* the normal price.

Yes, new *iPhone* (last year's model) for about $300 net. Much less w/ a trade-in.

Or, I could buy a new iPhone 13 Pro Max from Apple. After a small trade-in from my old iPhone 8 it would be about $41/mo for 2 years. Just below $1000 net, but in a much more affordable payment scheme, and could be done without harming emergency cash reserves. Or I could get an iPhone 13 for $35/mo and automatically get a new phone every year. Once you start thinking of the hardware payment as part of your monthly phone costs the actual individual unit cost loses its sting.

Of course this works a lot better if you are fully employed or FI. lol
But let's be clear: Trade-ins and paying over time do not change the price you are buying.

They may make you feel it is less expensive but that's a different matter.

A cheaper phone can also be paid for partially with trade-in and paying over time.
Montecfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 09:58 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
You got a great deal, no doubt, with that many lines.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 10:08 AM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
But let's be clear: Trade-ins and paying over time do not change the price you are buying.

A cheaper phone can also be paid for partially with trade-in and paying over time.
In my world, usually making monthly payment on anything equates to paying more than the sticker price.
Old 11-06-2021, 10:51 AM   #75

Quote:

I did not find that to be the case. My SE (first generation) had an actual trade-in value pretty close to zero, but the promotional trade-in was $550. There was a cost--committing to Verizon for two years while small payments are being made for the hardware (plus plan payments), but we were likely staying on Verizon anyway for that time period.
Trailwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 06:43 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

If you use a phone for 3 years and get a trade number more then you paid for it that's not really true, you can keep the same phone a little longer have it puke out completely and be worth virtually nothing.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 07:44 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

I still have my iPhone 6 which I bought “new” for $99.00 three years ago. Battery still doing well. Phone is fine. Mainly use it to talk, text and check email. Some light web surfing but don’t care to do that much on a 4 1/2 inch screen. Not into picture taking. Will keep it until the battery dies. Then I will probably get a “new” iPhone 8. I guess I would not be considered a phone/electronic gadget person. My cell plan costs $180.00 per year.
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 05:35 AM   #78

Quote:
I accept the challenge.
And as an aside if you buy the insurance on these phones, that is an exceedingly poor value in my view.
I updated from the iPhone 7S to the iPhone 12 Max Pro last June, 6 months ago specifically for the better camera. Last week the new 12 became inoperable. I spent a day and a half with Apple and Verizon to try to figure it out. All of us were stumped. Verizon was willing to send me a replacement under the Original Manufacturers Warranty. The Problem was that the iPhone 12 was so Inoperable that none of us could get "Find My" off the phone which is a requirement to get a replacement. I did not even know what "Find My" was.
About 24 hours later, the phone started working again. Still don't know what happened or why.
With that, I decided I didn't trust the phone anymore. I was able to get "Find My" off the phone and called Verizon for the replacement.
I have never bought insurance for an iPhone. I didn't buy it this time either. However, I did buy the Extended Warranty for another 2 years ( 6 months on the original plus this = 2 1/2 years). And extra $4.15/month. Verizon told me if the same situation happened when I was out of the Original Warranty Period, they would not replace it. I would have to spend another $1,000 plus for a new phone. Not! I would have left Verizon and gone with another carrier before doing that. Or reverted back to my 7S. which still works-just not a great camera.

Oh and because Verizon was going to give me very few dollars for trading in the 7S, I kept the phone instead. Glad I did during this unexplainable iPhone12 inoperable period. I was able to get Verizon to change my cell number back to the 7S so at least I had a phone while the 12 was dead in the water.

So...first time I have purchased an Extended Warranty for an iPhone.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 02:19 PM   #79

I've actually only "bought" one smartphone in my life, and I'm still using it today. A year or so before I retired in 2013, I swapped my latest MC-supplied Blackberry for a Samsung Galaxy S2. I kept that device after retiring and used it for a couple years.

Then, DS got a new job-supplied phone and he gave me his Google Nexus 5. That was a fantastic little device. But unfortunately, I lost it a year later.

So I bought a OnePlus 3T. It cost $399 in 2016 and had flagship specs at the time. Five years later, it still works flawlessly. And the specs are still better than most mid-level Androids that sell for $200-250 today. The one area it's lacking is the newer LTE frequency bands. So mobile data connectivity can be a little sketchy compared to my wife's Moto G6, which cost $199 about 18 months ago.

I agree that flagship benefits are minimal at best for most people. I'm not really a hard-core phone enthusiast. So I have no interest in upgrading every X years. But, like my experience with the OnePlus 3T, I think there is merit in buying a great phone for longevity. The device that has my eye right now is the Google Pixel 6 Pro at $899, mainly for the camera, mmWave 5G, and the new Tensor chip designed around AI. That sounds like a future-ready phone that may be worthy of my "second" purchase.
Old 11-07-2021, 06:45 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
I've actually only "bought" one smartphone in my life, and I'm still using it today. A year or so before I retired in 2013, I swapped my latest MC-supplied Blackberry for a Samsung Galaxy S2. I kept that device after retiring and used it for a couple years.

Then, DS got a new job-supplied phone and he gave me his Google Nexus 5. That was a fantastic little device. But unfortunately, I lost it a year later.

So I bought a OnePlus 3T. It cost $399 in 2016 and had flagship specs at the time. Five years later, it still works flawlessly. And the specs are still better than most mid-level Androids that sell for $200-250 today. The one area it's lacking is the newer LTE frequency bands. So mobile data connectivity can be a little sketchy compared to my wife's Moto G6, which cost $199 about 18 months ago.

I agree that flagship benefits are minimal at best for most people. I'm not really a hard-core phone enthusiast. So I have no interest in upgrading every X years. But, like my experience with the OnePlus 3T, I think there is merit in buying a great phone for longevity. The device that has my eye right now is the Google Pixel 6 Pro at $899, mainly for the camera, mmWave 5G, and the new Tensor chip designed around AI. That sounds like a future-ready phone that may be worthy of my "second" purchase.

Sounds like that cell phone would remain usable for many years. Good plan!
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote