Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-25-2020, 05:47 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Is there an online version of this article to read it?

Edit - here’s the article https://www.aarp.org/money/investing...y-worries.html

The thread title is misleading. The article is an optimistic view of recovery. The title of the piece is “ Could You Be Worrying Too Much About Financial Security Due to the Pandemic?”, the short answer by the author is “no”, and a longer answer looks at different aspects of economic and financial impact and recovery. A bit light but not a bad article.
FYI ... My thread title is the same as what's printed in the Aug/Sept 2020 issue of AARP magazine, page 28. I agree it's positive on the US economy.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2020, 05:51 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Your headline implies the economy won't recover, but your first post implies it will. Please don't get cute with thread titles. You're not being paid for page clicks, are you? If you are, let me know so I can add you to my ignore list.

And yes, giving a link to the source would be helpful, if it exists.
FYI .. I copied the thread title as printed in the Aug/Sept print issue of AARP magazine, page 28. I wish I was getting paid for page clicks!
Old 08-25-2020, 06:06 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Since Mr. A. is much older than I am, and his health starting to decline, this is a significant concern for us as well. Several highly-anticipated trips were canceled this year. He is bravely ready to "take chances while I still can," but we can't control the disease which is controlling the travel or theater industries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Not much worrying here either. My concern is that it takes too long for things to be re-normalized, and I will be too old to travel. This bums me out.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:25 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I've mentioned before that my mother survived the 1918 pandemic. It colored her life even more than the Great Depression AND WWII. It's difficult to say how much that pandemic affected America (and the world.) I can tell you, it DID affect my mother for the remainder of her life. She never fully recovered physically or mentally. YMMV
I guess the above is not surprising if I remember that American citizens were spared the devastation of the two World Wars. I looked further and found that the 1918 pandemic killed as many as 500,000 to 850,000 Americans. For Americans, it hit closer to home than the two World Wars.

There was hardship during the Great Depression, but I don't think there were many people dying of famine in the US despite the long soup lines. It was estimated that about 20 million civilians world-wide died of starvation during WW II, and about as many soldiers died in combat.

And the 1918 pandemic killed as many as 50 million world-wide.

I think Americans have been spared a lot of hardship suffered by people elsewhere. This pandemic most likely will turn out to be a similar story.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:40 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

The economy will recover. How many bodies will be left to be buried is another question. So far, given the way our elected leaders at all levels have bungled handling lock-down and now the re-opening, I have to think there will be many bodies to dispose of when this is over.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:49 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
... I have to think there will be many bodies to dispose of when this is over.
I don't think that the above is a problem if we dispose of the bodies as they drop.

Do not let them pile up, like what I read in Bolivia where decomposed dead bodies are laid out in the street for days.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:32 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by racy View Post
FYI .. I copied the thread title as printed in the Aug/Sept print issue of AARP magazine, page 28. I wish I was getting paid for page clicks!
Uh, yeeaahh... but the titles ahead of it that set the whole context of the article were left out!

The next time I'm out driving, I'll head up a ONE WAY street the wrong way, ignoring the DO NOT ENTER signs. If I get pulled over (that's IF I survive!), I'll tell the officer that I was just obeying the signs, that said "WAY" and "ENTER"
Old 08-25-2020, 09:46 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by racy View Post
FYI ... My thread title is the same as what's printed in the Aug/Sept 2020 issue of AARP magazine, page 28. I agree it's positive on the US economy.

The print version may differ, but from what I can see it looks like you very selectively copied for this thread title. That's why everyone is miffed...

dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 10:26 AM   #29
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Not much worrying here either. My concern is that it takes too long for things to be re-normalized, and I will be too old to travel. This bums me out.
Now that's a real & primary concern.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 10:28 AM   #30
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
The economy will recover. How many bodies will be left to be buried is another question. So far, given the way our elected leaders at all levels have bungled handling lock-down and now the re-opening, I have to think there will be many bodies to dispose of when this is over.
When people say this, I wonder what they think should have been done & where we'd be now if we had done whatever they think. But I never hear that, just complaints of what did happen.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 02:06 PM   #31

Until we have an approved by FDA massive vaccination, the economy and the Market will rely on the Feds actions. The longer this pandemic continue, the bigger scar it will leave because a major part of our economy is Service and when do you think it is going to recover? With a swollen Nation Debt and very high Feds balance sheet, the Feds also have limitations on what they could do.
VFK57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 02:31 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
+1. With the airlines giving senior pilots and crew early retirement options, with restaurants closing, with theaters closing, with travel severely dimenished, with retail changing....even if we had vaccine available to everyone next year, and even if 70% take it, COVID will still be around and being spread by the 30% of US residents who won't take it, as well as many of the other countries' citizens who won't or can't afford to take it. I think this will have have a lasting economic impact through 2030 at least. Many jobs will take a long time to be recovered, if they ever do. It may take several years for the airlines to retrain and hire new pilots, as demand returns to normal, and it may take Boeing and Airbus years to catch up with replacement planes. I can't see any way around significant airfare increases to pay the added costs.

I'm hoping we see a vaccine next year, and that life can mostly go back to normal. It will take many individuals months to years to dig themselves out of the debt they are incurring now.
Old 08-25-2020, 02:34 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
amen - DW got her passport and everything right before I FIRED too

other than that, retiring right before a pandemic wasn't that bad LOL
Old 08-29-2020, 07:19 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI Bill View Post
....even if we had vaccine available to everyone next year, and even if 70% take it, COVID will still be around and being spread by the 30% of US residents who won't take it, as well as many of the other countries' citizens who won't or can't afford to take it. .
I read recently if 30% to 60% of US resident take the vaccine, that will be enough to stop the spread.
ikonomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 08:52 AM   #35

Normally the flu vaccine become available in September I wonder if they’ll bother?
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 08:53 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
Normally the flu vaccine become available in September I wonder if they’ll bother?
I see it advertised already. It’s available now.
Old 08-30-2020, 01:59 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
our local pharmacies and grocery stores have been advertising it's availability for the past few weeks.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 02:32 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
"The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable.” Often attributed to John Kenneth Galbraith but apparently actually from Ezra Solomon, a member of the Council of Economic Advisors during the Nixon administration.
Thanks, I've got a new tag line.
Old 08-31-2020, 05:39 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

"Regular" flu shot definitely available. Got mine last week.
sakowitzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:02 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When people say this, I wonder what they think should have been done & where we'd be now if we had done whatever they think. But I never hear that, just complaints of what did happen.
I don't want to get far off topic but here are two examples:

Suppose you are a carpenter. In my state, if you were working on adding a room to Ms. Smith's house, you suddenly found yourself out of a job for a few months during the shutdown. OTOH, if you were working on remodeling a state office building, you could continue to work. Somehow, corona virus would avoid the people working on government buildings, but target people working on private structures. Who knew?

Another bungle, One Third of a Billion Dollars in the state's unemployment fund was paid to scammers in other countries. It's gone for good. Alas, the high unemployment rate is still with us.

Closer to the topic, we are seeing more furloughs become permanent layoffs. Unemployment is still over 10%. And that is before these new layoffs take place. Not so good.

I do think the economy will spring back once a vaccine and/or easy home treatment for CV is found. But, the damage is done, and it will take a few years just to fix that.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote