Join Early Retirement Today

The Very Best
Old 01-31-2006, 08:07 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Very Best

If you could chose but one single mutual fund to keep someones money in what would it be ?

This person will probably retire relatively young in a few years. Money is likely to fund a retirement lasting 2 to 4 decades. I have my own ideas but would enjoy your views.

What one fund would you choose and why ?
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: The Very Best
Old 01-31-2006, 08:15 AM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

if it had to be 1 fund then lifecycle fund . But why only one fund?
aimhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:24 AM   #3

VG LifeStrategy Moderate Growth. It holds a mix of low-fee broad indexes that cover the asset classes I want in about the allocation I want. My least favorite fund in there is Asset Allocation because it's actively managed, but I've learned to live with it. I'm using LS MG as my main fund and use other funds to fine tune the asset allocation to my wants, but I would be happy with it all by itself. I chose this over a Target Retirement fund because I've decided not to increase bond allocation over time.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:25 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Pssst-Wellesley.

What tax bracket are we talking?

I of course am consolidating ALL my dribs and drabs(trad IRA) into Vanguard Target Retirement 2015 - cause I'm 62 and young at heart.

age 49-62 the big dog was VG Lifestrategy moderate.

heh heh heh

Male and hormonally speaking - killing off the DRIPs and puting my Norwegian widow/putz/kayak stocks into a VG brokerage account.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:30 AM   #5

But why only one fund? * - Just to keep the discussion centered. Everyone has an asset allocation. Why not find a fund that does it for you.

Per the LifeStrategy and Target Retirement funds - Look at all those bonds ! Do you really want that much bond allocation !

What tax bracket are we talking? * -* 25 percent Federal Bracket on highest income
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:44 AM   #6

One of the lifestrategy funds. Probably LS Moderate Growth. Should have 30-55% bonds/cash long term due to the Asset Allocation fund which can switch from stocks to bonds to cash.

Maybe LS Growth fund. 10-35% bonds long term. I'd pick this one for me personally (I'm a little more comfortable with risk). I'd recommend the LS moderate growth for a generic investor given the parameters you specified.

My assumption is retired for avg. of 30 years, die around 80, which means ER at age 50. I personally wouldn't want to be too heavy in bonds at that age.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:32 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I have to ask the most important question.

Best for what?

Low volatility? High current yield? High terminal value? Low tax load or dont care? Is there other income besides the portfolio?

If low volatility, high current yield and not really caring about the tax load are the big drivers, Unclemicks suggestion of Wellesley, or a target retirement income or lifestrategy income port are good ones. If you dont care about volatility or current yield (ie, will sell shares to fund retirement as you go), you have a large sized portfolio (more than 25x annual spending needs) and want a low tax load, then a fund of principally high dividend paying value stocks like windsor II would do the trick.

For something in the middle, the balanced index fund, wellington, or a target retirement 2025-2035 or lifestrategy moderate growth type fund would do.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 07:27 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

(CFB) - and anyone else who likes his avatar - Carol Wright 38DDD arrived today.

I posted my single fund - cause that's the one I use - for me after 12 yrs in ER. Note - Trad IRA(tax issues) age 62 - need to damp SD so's I can slip funds out at hopefully regular chunks at regular intervals. Side money is Roth conversion - in case I don't croak precisely at 84.6(60/40ish LS - perhaps too conservative) AND the Norwegian widow stocks - betting on the cum(old New Orleans slang) that 15% div tax rate 'may' still be around.

As pointed out - each of us has a slightly different situation.

Walter Winchell - 'now for the rest of the story'

P.S. I asked for a before and after modeling session with the Carol Wright's.

Heh heh heh heh - no dice. Rats!

Postscript -8:45 Central Time - only 1/2 Rats - fit's good - itch a little - need one wash cycle to fix that.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:39 PM   #9

I think everyone should invest all their money in the SG Total Rip-Off Fund. The goal of the fund is . . . well, you know what the goal is. I promise the fund will achieve it's goal.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:28 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
(CFB) - and anyone else who likes his avatar - Carol Wright 38DDD arrived today.
Sorry Mick, but this post is USELESS without photos.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:41 AM   #11
Confused about dryer sheets

Vanguard Star
Old 02-01-2006, 09:15 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cute Fuzzy Bunny)
Sorry Mick, but this post is USELESS without photos.
Sorry (CFB) - the good ones are in Lake Ponchartrain. Not about to take any new ones - I value my life(minor heir after my sister).

Besides - reality would destroy my "missoula" myth.

Aka - does unclemick 'really' exist!!!

heh heh heh heh heh heh

P.S. - VG Star might be ok if you lean toword 'slice and dice'
Old 02-01-2006, 09:24 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I would choose a balanced fund. Look at the 'life cycle' funds (Vanguard and Fidelity), read Forbes Fund review and the no-alarm balanced funds at www.fundalarm.com

Oakmark and Dodge & Cox are my favorites.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:39 PM   #14

board jargon

What is this "slice and dice" of which you speak?
Did a search but without really finding a definition.

Also, these widows from Norway: do they have requirements that regular garden-variety 'merican widows don't? I thought in Norway they were big on social services.

ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 12:42 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Slice and dice = slicing up your portfolio into multiple asset classes.

example: 10% to foreign bond, 15% to reit, 20% to foreign large cap.

Vs buying a simple balanced or life strategy type fund
Old 02-01-2006, 12:47 PM   #16

Thanks, Bunny! now I'm really feeling the love!!
Old 02-01-2006, 01:20 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Cute fuzzy bunny gives you more love than most. You need it, you have a substandard computer...

:P

Old 02-01-2006, 01:29 PM   #18

Ladelfina,
Not sure anyone but Uncle Mick can really tell you what the Norwegian Widow is all about -- but no thread is complete without her! I think it has something to do with someone a long time ago loving dividend-paying stocks for the long run...
Old 02-01-2006, 05:21 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
widows from Norway
As the gggrandchild of one, they have cultured a reputation for income oriented investing.* In the 'old country' Mom managed the money and ran the farm, Dad fished or worked in the woods.* FYI there is a tug company in the Pudget Sound founded by a Norwegian wife whose husband went to Alaska during the gold rush.* She made more $$$.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:53 AM   #20

Quote:
you have a substandard computer.
Silly Rabbit!

Oddly, I don't feel that way, especially after reading the recent "Computer Problem" and "Bad Year for Electronics" posts. Sounds like the machines are cheaper, but require a lot of intervention and don't last very long. I don't make much use of a laptop, but if you're going to have to buy one every two years, instead of every three or four, you've kind of wiped out the cost savings (tho' it is fun to have a shiny, new machine.. do they make "new computer smell" in a spray can like they do for cars?)

OOOH how happy am I, to give nary a thought to FAT32, or BIOS, or IRQ farts. (I hear Maalox might work on those).

P.S. did you come up with that list of OSX viruses yet?