Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

"These are the times that try men's souls"
Old 07-15-2008, 06:13 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"These are the times that try men's souls"

From another forum, pretty good sources...
Quote:
So, you say you are a long-term investor. You say that when the markets turn down you will keep a level head and do what you know should be done. You said that you would look at your portfolio allocation and rebalance, or that you would invest more money to bring your allocation back to its target.

Well, are you? Are you rebalancing? Are you adding more money?

Or, are you taking a 'wait and see' attitude? Or maybe thinking about take a little off the table...or just get out altogether.

Guess what? If this market is bothering you to the point that you are not going to maintain your long-term investment plan, then you have no plan!. You have been fooling yourself about your tolerance for risk because it is not as high as you thought it was. And your plan is based on a that false premise. So, it is time for a new plan.

People are brave in a bull market, but it is in a bear market that true feelings come out. So, if you are not going to do what you swore you would during better times, then reduce your risk permanently. Reduce your allocation to stocks, or let the market do if for you, and do not go back to your over allocated level. Keep it at a permanently lower level. At least you will be better prepared for the next bear market.

On the other hand, if it is business as usual, then good for you. You're investing within your tolerance for risk, and you will be justly rewarded, eventually. I don't know when, or how much more we will lose between now and there, but I do know that "this too shall pass."

Rick Ferri
Quote:
Hi Rick:

Thank you for your wise, experienced and timely advice during this current bear market. It is just what new investors need to hear--and some old-timers too.

This is my 9th or 10th bear market. It took 4 or 5 bear markets before I realized that although each bear market is different, afterwards the the stock market has always gone higher than before.

Your post is a reminder of Mr. Bogle's sage advice:

Quote:
"Stay the course. No matter what happens, stick to your program. I've said "Stay the course" a thousand times, and I meant it every time. It is the most important single piece of investment wisdom I can give to you."
The underline is mine.

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

What if this time it's different?
Old 07-15-2008, 06:19 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Might have go back to work then
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:31 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Not me. I'll do some serious belt-tightening but I won't go back to work (once I have ER'd).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:33 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

If this time is different, I am confident that members of this forum will still be far richer than most people out there. If those people can survive the apocalypse, so should we.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
If this time is different, I am confident that members of this forum will still be far richer than most people out there. If those people can survive the apocalypse, so should we.
I hope its not Zombies. I just got done reading World War Z. Scary stuff
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:37 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Not me. I'll do some serious belt-tightening but I won't go back to work (once I have ER'd).
Nah, me either. I have 20 years worth of cash/cd's/bonds. Plus SS to kick in 8 years from now if needed. Prefer to wait until 66 for that through. So if stocks go to zero during that time frame, I'll simply slit my wrist and be done with it.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:47 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
I hope its not Zombies. I just got done reading World War Z. Scary stuff
Yeah, money (or the lack thereof) won't matter there. Though a good shotgun might help!
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:13 PM   #9

Yes, I just moved a whopping $1000 into equities. LOL. At current rate, I'm many, many moves from being done with rebalancing my portfolio.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:12 PM   #10

I'm twitchy... within 1% of needing to rebalance. I might get to by the end of the week.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:19 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
From another forum, pretty good sources...
Guess what? If this market is bothering you to the point that you are not going to maintain your long-term investment plan, then you have no plan!.
Well, maybe the plan is not to lose money?

Yes, this might be a good time to buy low, but there's no shame in keeping your money on the sidelines and buying in when things start to improve. Yes, you'll miss some of the initial upside, but you'll buy in later when there's less risk.

Meanwhile, I'd say time to stay in savings and CDs. Maybe treasuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
I'm twitchy... within 1% of needing to rebalance. I might get to by the end of the week.
Curious - what kind of rebalancing and how do you set the trigger so precisely as to be within 1%?
CaseInPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseInPoint View Post
Curious - what kind of rebalancing and how do you set the trigger so precisely as to be within 1%?
Nothing fancy... typically I rebalance 12-18 months to my AA, but I'll also do it quarterly if things are out of wack by too much. As an example (not my AA), if I were 20% intermediate bonds, 40% US and 40% international, I'd reset if I found myself to be 26%/34%/40%.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseInPoint View Post
Well, maybe the plan is not to lose money?

Yes, this might be a good time to buy low, but there's no shame in keeping your money on the sidelines and buying in when things start to improve. Yes, you'll miss some of the initial upside, but you'll buy in later when there's less risk.

Meanwhile, I'd say time to stay in savings and CDs. Maybe treasuries.

The risk remains the same. Your return will be less .

DD
DblDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:28 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, so far I haven't thought much about changing my allocation (about 75% in stocks), but then again, I have well over 20 years before I can retire. So really, I'm not paying too much attention to it. I imagine if I were within five years of retiring, I'd be a lot more concerned. Then again, i would hope that were I five years away, my allocation would be such that I wouldn't have to freak out.

So am I sticking to my plan, or just being blissfully ignorant?
CompoundInterestFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:59 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
Nothing fancy... typically I rebalance 12-18 months to my AA, but I'll also do it quarterly if things are out of wack by too much. As an example (not my AA), if I were 20% intermediate bonds, 40% US and 40% international, I'd reset if I found myself to be 26%/34%/40%.
OIC.

BTW- Good move adding your info to your sig.
CaseInPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:11 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompoundInterestFan View Post
Well, so far I haven't thought much about changing my allocation (about 75% in stocks), but then again, I have well over 20 years before I can retire. So really, I'm not paying too much attention to it. I imagine if I were within five years of retiring, I'd be a lot more concerned. Then again, i would hope that were I five years away, my allocation would be such that I wouldn't have to freak out.

So am I sticking to my plan, or just being blissfully ignorant?
No. With your time frame, you are good to go. It's some us early retirees that are freaking out.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:47 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

It takes waaay bigger brass cajones to stick to an aggressive plan in the withdrawal phase than the contribution phase. This market is merely a curiosity when you are punk 34 year old with 21 years to retirement and a mere 150k in equities. I think some of you have lost more than my entire portfolio this past year.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:41 PM   #18
gone traveling

Not everyone sells his soul to the stock market.

My father never owned a stock/mutual fund in his life,
yet he retired at age 62 with no debt and a nice little
pension and nest egg that lasted him and my mom the
rest of their lives.

I divested myself of all stocks/mutual funds before I retired
from my corporate job at age 55... and I'm not waiting for
a bottom to reinvest... I am out for good.

I'll be watching from the sidelines. Ya'll enjoy the ride.

~
Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post
Not everyone sells his soul to the stock market.

My father never owned a stock/mutual fund in his life,
yet he retired at age 62 with no debt and a nice little
pension and nest egg that lasted him and my mom the
rest of their lives.

I divested myself of all stocks/mutual funds before I retired
from my corporate job at age 55... and I'm not waiting for
a bottom to reinvest... I am out for good.

I'll be watching from the sidelines. Ya'll enjoy the ride.

~
My wife and I will be joining you tomorrow. Getting close to an early retirement in 6 years. Can't stand to watch these 20%+ equity drops. Worked hard to regain my health a few years back, and am starting to put weight back on stressing about our portfolio. Health before finances.

Have a good-sized nest egg already (not including $900K+ in home equity). Hoping to add to the retirement accounts for the next 6+ years by maxing out our 401(k)s, in bonds and a little in Stable Value funds.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:56 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

key word ,nice little pension..... for the rest of us we have to creat our own. unless we can live on social security and have a large enough nest egg to not have to grow it then a certain amount of equities are a must
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote