They won't let me go!!

Hope you did not bother giving Dr. Jerk a piece of your mind, because it would be wasted (as you know). That only works in movies. Jerks are that way because being a jerk is what they are good at. Part of the "talent" is not give a $#!+ what others think, and another part is being unable to see themselves as in the wrong. You are too good to demean yourself by assaulting Teflon shields.

Amethyst

The only thing I hope to hint at is a quote from Forbes magazine and elsewhere "People don't quit companies, they quit supervisors." Otherwise I'm there to be a witness. My former partners have appreciated my lack of a filter these past 3 months. And I've decided not to work for them. Not after the physical reaction I had last night.

Last night as I was posting I actually became feverish and had all kinds of joint aches-from tiny hand joints to major joints. My hips hurt this morning, but otherwise I was fine. After my workout today I feel great.

Reading all the responses including some pointed criticisms was not easy. To the person who said I misrepresented myself here, I'm not perfect and we all have moments of confusion where we are not certain of ourselves. Transitions often result in self doubt. If I misrepresented myself I assure you it was unintentional.

We'll see how today goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

You sound like you should do fine.

As far as being misrepresented, this form of communication lacks all those little clues we get in person, thus making it easier to imagine a more adversarial or friendly environment than might exist if people met in person. I suspect that most of us, sitting down face to face over a cup of coffee or glass of wine, would get along reasonably well.

I don't understand why you feel so obligated about what happens in this place. Everyone is just a cog that can be replaced in the corporate mindset, so why care?

I don't usually say burn bridges, but in this case, be totally honest and let the bridge go up in flames.

Good luck EastWestGal. Stand firm.

The only thing I hope to hint at is a quote from Forbes magazine and elsewhere "People don't quit companies, they quit supervisors." Otherwise I'm there to be a witness. My former partners have appreciated my lack of a filter these past 3 months. And I've decided not to work for them. Not after the physical reaction I had last night.

Last night as I was posting I actually became feverish and had all kinds of joint aches-from tiny hand joints to major joints. My hips hurt this morning, but otherwise I was fine. After my workout today I feel great.

Reading all the responses including some pointed criticisms was not easy. To the person who said I misrepresented myself here, I'm not perfect and we all have moments of confusion where we are not certain of ourselves. Transitions often result in self doubt. If I misrepresented myself I assure you it was unintentional.

We'll see how today goes.

Don't worry. If there is one thing that brings out the dogpack it is failing to follow our instructions re: working/not working. we have a lot invested in the rightness of early retirement.

.... so if he REALLY needs you then your salary is now 4X.... if he stammers... then say thanks but no thanks....

This could backfire - they might pay it!

I agree with the others, bail while you can and don't get pulled into the toxic soup.

It's wonderful that you do care about the patients but you cannot save the world. There are other patients in other, better run, practices that need help too if that is what you choose to do.

This could backfire - they might pay it!

I agree with the others, bail while you can and don't get pulled into the toxic soup.

It's wonderful that you do care about the patients but you cannot save the world. There are other patients in other, better run, practices that need help too if that is what you choose to do.

Nope.... no way.... he thinks that he knows it all and would not offer someone 4X... that would mean that he would eventually have to offer that to others... it would be easier to hire someone new off the street with little or no experience and save money... who cares what happens to the patients...

EWG, what I actually said was:

Going into the lions' den is pure madness, unless you have been misrepresenting your desire to ER.

I completely agree with you about self doubt and I do believe any misrepresentation was to yourself, unconscious and unintentional. I think the truth is probably that you might not have been completely aware of your degree of attachment to your career or the guilt that you feel at "abandoning the children" and "wasting all that education and expertise". As a woman and former pediatrician myself I can speak with some authority on this. Indeed I too was subject to pressure, though the overtures were more subtle.

And I've decided not to work for them. Not after the physical reaction I had last night.

A few months after ER I visited a friend and former colleague who is a healthcare administrator in another city. She took me on a tour of her spanking new hospital and offered me a job. I promised to think about it. I felt anxious for several days, until it awoke one morning and realized that the hospital visit was responsible for my anxiety. I called my friend to turn down the offer. The relief was immediate. It was a weight lifted off my shoulders. That's when I knew that I was not only FIRE but FREE. Free of guilt, free of obligation.

Are you FREE?

Don't worry. If there is one thing that brings out the dogpack it is failing to follow our instructions re: working/not working. we have a lot invested in the rightness of early retirement.

Exxxactly! :)

We are with you, EWG! Let us know how it turns out.

The key to winning any race is taking the first step.

Your post today convinced me you will do what's best for YOU.

Let us know how it all went. Rooting for ya !

I can relate to the physical stress reaction...prior to giving my 6 week notice to leaving a GS-13 govt job, I always felt like I was going to the dentist to have 10 teeth drilled, without Novacain, every time I slid my ID card in the entry door to w*rk. :nonono:

My apologies to any dentists on the forum. :flowers:

Listen to your stomach.

Excellent advice. If I had only taken this to heart years ago it would have spared me from making several bad decisions.

Better late than never, in my case. I now consult my "gut" before making any major change, and it has never once let me down.

Last edited:

I don't thing that is true in this case. I was genuinely shocked at level of pay EWG was getting. She seems like one of those giver personalities, almost the opposite of the INTJs on this forum. Money isn't everything, and I have to believe that being a pediatrician would often be an emotionally satisfying job. Still it is hard to believe that she wasn't being exploited at some level.

The working environment in the temporary gig was by her own account far worse than her regular job. At the urging of the forum she asked for a got a sizable raise although hardly an exorbitant salary.

I don't care if she works until she is 75, and if she loves her job why not.
I do hate to see good people exploited. I am neither a woman nor a physician, if I was either one of those I could easily feel personally offended.

I respect your opinions, on any subject. Nevertheless, it is hard for me to think that any of us could possibly know more about OP's motivational structure and best course of action than she does.

Also, I do think that some here are a little too enamored of their own advice, no matter how little they may know about the particulars.

Ha

I respect your opinions, on any subject. Nevertheless, it is hard for me to think that any of us could possibly know more about OP's motivational structure and best course of action than she does.

Also, I do think that some here are a little too enamored of their own advice, no matter how little they may know about the particulars.

Ha
As always, advice on a forum is worth what you pay for it. I am confident that EWG will make the decision that is right for her.

Last edited:
............Also, I do think that some here are a little too enamored of their own advice, no matter how little they may know about the particulars. Ha

Except of course, you and me. :cool:

Ha, I presume you are referring to me.
No, I was not referring to you. When I said some people, I only mean an unspecified set less than the whole thread.

Pretty much everyone seemed happy about their advice. :)

Overall, I think it is hard to realize how little we know about any particular situation that we are only reading about on the internet, and about all the nuances of meaning and motivations involved.

"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of... We know the truth not only by the reason, but by the heart." - Blaise Pascal”

Ha

Last edited:
Honestly I enjoy burning bridges. This sounds like it would be a glorious blaze. I'd take a pack of matches, sit back, and enjoy the show. This isn't your problem, don't let him try to make it yours. "Not my circus, not my monkeys".

No, I was not referring to you. When I said some people, I only mean an unspecified set less than the whole thread.

Pretty much everyone seemed happy about their advice. :)

Overall, I think it is hard to realize how little we know about any particular situation that we are only reading about on the internet, and about all the nuances of meaning and motivations involved.

"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of... We know the truth not only by the reason, but by the heart." - Blaise Pascal”

Ha

The OP did ask "what do you think?" at the end of her post. Because I don't try to read between the lines, I figured she wanted to know, um, what we thought.

ETA Whatever we wrote in this thread, I am pretty sure we all hope she makes a decision that makes her happy.

Last edited:
The OP did ask "what do you think?" at the end of her post. Because I don't try to read between the lines, I figured she wanted to know, um, what we thought.
Sure, and as far as I know, no one criticized your response, What I find interesting was how some-only some- people reacted to her plan of going to some meeting or other. Hello people, she can read, she knows what you think already!

Anyway, I am not a mod, I can't ban any of you!

As a physician who retired from a toxic situation, I remember my concern for the staff and patients left behind.
Sadly you can not fix your old practice with a meeting nor can you transform an inept physician into a diligent one with a single intervention.

+1

Agree with the sentiments of posters. Why would you want to work with someone 'who is a lawsuit waiting to happen'. I can't think of anything that would put a damper on retirement more than being involved in a lawsuit because one's name happened to be on the chart from a day one was covering. I think we all know that if someone thinks they are God's gift and the general perception is that this is a delusional belief, that there is no happy ending in taking the matter up with the individual. Bridges are not burned, the piers are dynamited right down to the bedrock and some of these people subsequently go out of their way to make life difficult for others. If you still want to be involved in patient care then find another place or just wait and chances are the middle management of your group will be gone faster without you shoring it up and you can go back to something better. You may be doing your friends a disservice by helping out at this time.

No one went over the top and I've enjoyed all of the posts. The regional guy showed up very late due to flight delays due all the white stuff coming down today.

So he wanted us to let him have it, so he said. What creeped me out was the medical director keeps texting me asking me to do more work. I said no.

The other creepy thing is that they may have cancelled my health insurance a month early. I've made 4 calls to corporate and they haven't returned one of them.

Back
Top Bottom