Thinking about a Tesla truck

At first I was kind of expecting a truck pinata where when he strikes the side with the sledgehammer, the shell falls off and there is some curvy sleek truck underneath.

I guess he put function over form.

Somebody said it looks like if a Delorean and the Pontiac Aztec had a baby. Fugly.
I also think the glass breakage was staged to get people talking.

We have to wait to see how much the shape of Tesla truck helps its range, compared to the conventional Ford design.

Will Ford struggle to provide the same range, or charge a much higher price in order to put in a larger battery?

We have to wait to see how much the shape of Tesla truck helps its range, compared to the conventional Ford design.

Will Ford struggle to provide the same range, or charge a much higher price in order to put in a larger battery?

I don't think long range is a big issue with a truck, especially if you use it for local work and home use as a second vehicle for utility purposes.

I think Musk already realizes this particular truck design is DOA in the real world market.

Quote:
Musk has said in the past that the pickup is something of a personal pet project and he doesn't care much if few people actually want to buy it.
I'm sure the shareholders will be pleased with that attitude. TSLA down $13 in premarket.

And what about the planet, the children, the polar bears? I thought the plan was to sell a lot of EVs to save the planet?

I don't usually care much one way or the other about the looks of most vehicles on the road, but when I saw that clip, I thought it was a joke. That looks like some weird one-off prototype/concept car.

Promise date for delivery is way out. Cnet says you can configure one in late 2021?

Speaking of delivery, when can you expect your Tesla Cybertruck? According to the Silicon Valley automaker's website, "you will be able to complete your configuration as production nears in late 2021." However, if you want the most expensive -- and presumably the most powerful -- tri-motor, all-wheel-drive Cybertruck, you're looking at an estimated production date of late 2022. Take all of this with several grains of salt (perhaps a whole shaker), of course. Elon Musk's team doesn't exactly have a sterling record of sticking to announced timeframes, ...

-ERD50

Phucking PHUGGLY. Plain and simple , barf barf barf barf !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't usually care much one way or the other about the looks of most vehicles on the road, but when I saw that clip, I thought it was a joke. That looks like some weird one-off prototype/concept car.

-ERD50

Drawn by a 13-year-old boy on the back of his notebook during study hall . . . :cool:

Hahahahaha! Tesla stock down 6% after truck reveal!

This being said, if you're thinking about buying Tesla, this looks like a classic overreaction dip.

When I saw the image my first reaction was “Mad Max”.

Last edited:
Normal person blows up a 100 million dollar rocket, they go cry in a corner for a bit. Musk does it, he smiles and says "room for improvement"

That's why he is up-ending the space launch business and I am cleaning out my garage. :D

Reading about Mr. Musk I found out that he views failure as an opportunity to learn and improve. I used to work for a boss who had a similar attitude. He called it "Ready, Fire, Aim".

This stunt reminded of Amazon's "delivery by drone" service that was also publicized around this time of year IIRC.

Go on sale in late 2021 and 2022? It will be long forgotten by then, especially is the U.S. has any kind of recession.

Go on sale in late 2021 and 2022? It will be long forgotten by then, especially is the U.S. has any kind of recession.

And good luck at purchasing one at $39,900.

I still don't see the promised $35,000 Model 3. I went to the Tesla site, and the cheapest one I can configure is: Purchase Price $39,490.

And the last of the Fed Credit ($1,875) runs out at the end of the year.

-ERD50

And good luck at purchasing one at $39,900.

I still don't see the promised $35,000 Model 3. I went to the Tesla site, and the cheapest one I can configure is: Purchase Price $39,490.

And the last of the Fed Credit ($1,875) runs out at the end of the year.

-ERD50

GM, Ford and Rivan EV pickups will be out before this one will.

I don't think long range is a big issue with a truck, especially if you use it for local work and home use as a second vehicle for utility purposes.

Long range is important for people who use this as their primary vehicle, particularly as it has 2 rows of seats.

In the following video at the end, you can see the rolling shutter over the truck bed, and built-in ramp, at about 4:00.

I still like to see the eventual technical data on Wh per mile of this truck compared to Ford's and other competitors.

People here know that I am not a Tesla fan, but I will say that this truck may be more practical than I originally thought, if Musk can really build it for $40K.

Cybertruck-4.png

I know a few pickup owners actually use theirs for the intended purpose, such as pulling a 5th wheel. ;) But those are a minority.

Ford of course knows that many of its pickups are bought as toys. Ford will do whatever that is needed to sell, no surprise there.

It will not be long before someone tries to pull a trailer or a 5th wheel with an EV truck, and puts a video of it on Youtube. I will be watching.

Hope the gooseneck doesn't snag that angled box. Pointless. We want to put crap on top of our cabs. We want ladder racks and truck boxes.

Long range is important for people who use this as their primary vehicle, particularly as it has 2 rows of seats.

In the following video at the end, you can see the rolling shutter over the truck bed, and built-in ramp, at about 4:00.

I still like to see the eventual technical data on Wh per mile of this truck compared to Ford's and other competitors.

People here know that I am not a Tesla fan, but I will say that this truck may be more practical than I originally thought, if Musk can really build it for $40K.

Cybertruck-4.png

Why not put solar on the bed and the ramp...then you can charge your tiny house at the same time as your ATV and truck.

Hope the gooseneck doesn't snag that angled box. Pointless. We want to put crap on top of our cabs. We want ladder racks and truck boxes.
+1

I can't throw a 5 gallon can over the side of that bed! WTF?

Obviously, people for whom this truck does not work will not buy it.

Is there such as thing as a universal vehicle that will work for everybody? :)

As for me, I don't think I will need any stinkin' truck. I have a 4x8 utility trailer, and all 4 of my vehicles have a hitch to pull it.

I used to have a long-bed pickup that could haul a 4x8 sheet of plywood, with the gate up. And even my very first minivan, the first of the minivan genre, a Chrysler Voyager, could haul a 4x8 plywood and had its gate closed.

Last edited:

No technical info given on the battery size, but I bet it has to be above 100 kWh for even the short-range version of 250 miles. And Musk must be betting on the battery cost coming down by the time of production in 2022, in order to sell it for $40K.

I think they are down-playing battery kWh specs, and I'm in agreement. Give the consumer the number that matters - range.

Same with cars and HP rating. Who cares? If you care about performance, you care about 0-60 times (or some other result-based metric). That can be affected by gearing, torque and horsepower curves (one number doesn't capture that) and traction, etc

Especially with a hybrid - you can't just add the HP of the ICE and motor, they each have different torque curves. Just give me the resulting performance number, how you get there is for the design engineers.

As I said earlier, don't hold your breath for a $40,000 version actually being available on their web site.

In the following video at the end, you can see the rolling shutter over the truck bed, and built-in ramp, at about 4:00. . ...

Is the ATV for sale? I could see demand for a quieter no "tailpipe emissions" ATV.

The rolling cover looks nice, but I wonder if they get all the weather resistance right? Snow and ice?

-ERD50

Obviously, people for whom this truck does not work will not buy it.

Is there such as thing as a universal vehicle that will work for everybody? :)

As for me, I don't think I will need any stinkin' truck. I have a 4x8 utility trailer, and all 4 of my vehicles have a hitch to pull it.

I used to have a long-bed pickup that could haul a 4x8 sheet of plywood, with the gate up. And even my very first minivan, the first of the minivan genre, a Chrysler Voyager, could haul a 4x8 plywood and had its gate closed.
Hah! You are my new hero NW! That fleet lineup you have is ideal! Who you kidding. Everyone should own a Voyager at least once. :)

And the moment we are no longer in an incredibly permissive capital markets environment, all of his ventures will curl up and die.

I keep hearing how Tesla's death is imminent from forum members, going back to the old Tesla thread, yet it hasn't occurred. Will any admit publicly they were wrong?

Back
Top Bottom