Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-07-2018, 01:37 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I really believe there are cruises for everyone. The largest ship we have ever been on is one of Celebrityís smaller ships, about 1600 passengers I believe. We opted for Aqua Class on that cruise and only ate once in the main dining room. It was OK, but we much prefer smaller cruises such as Windstar and the Paul Gauguin. No big crowds, quick disembarkation in ports, no formal nights, no dressing up required. Even better are private charters - 6 friends on a sailboat with a captain & chef - breakfast & lunch in swimsuits and dinner in shorts. Barefoot all the time except when going ashore. Thatís more our style. YMMV. My point is that in the cruising industry, there is something for everyone.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2018, 06:37 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I am NOT bragging, but in the course of my life, I have been on 45 cruises, from an 8 passenger river barge to the mid size cruise ships.
Actually, after our first cruise experience in a "high density" ship with crappy food, I am surprised we ever cruised again.
The discussions of inside vs. balcony IMO is like Ford vs. Chevrolet, or in my case, high wing vs. low wing light aircraft. It is really YMMV.
Our longest cruise was 32 days, from Buenos Aires to LA. If we had to be in an inside cabin for that cruise, we would be both taken off in straight jackets. BUT, that is just us. We opted for a mini suite to "Blow that Dough"
+1, especially YMMV. DW and I take 2 main vacations per year (she still w*rks). Our annual cruise is the secondary vacation. Because DW is a teacher, that cruise takes place Christmas week. Living in New Jersey, we're just looking for someplace warm. Over the years, we've learned survival tactics for the cruise and know how to enjoy ourselves, and avoid the downsides of cruising.
The most important trick, IMO, is stoicism about expectations. For example, we find cruise food good, not great. But even at home, we are not into gourmet eating, even when dining out, so we are quite happy with the food....and make sure to order dishes that we know can't be ruined.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:03 AM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
I really believe there are cruises for everyone. The largest ship we have ever been on is one of Celebrityís smaller ships, about 1600 passengers I believe. We opted for Aqua Class on that cruise and only ate once in the main dining room. It was OK, but we much prefer smaller cruises such as Windstar and the Paul Gauguin. No big crowds, quick disembarkation in ports, no formal nights, no dressing up required. Even better are private charters - 6 friends on a sailboat with a captain & chef - breakfast & lunch in swimsuits and dinner in shorts. Barefoot all the time except when going ashore. Thatís more our style. YMMV. My point is that in the cruising industry, there is something for everyone.
Yeah, I guess I don't consider 6 friends on a sailboat "cruising," but I agree with you 100% that there is something for everyone on a boat. My problem is that what I'm looking for is a 60 foot yacht with a large stateroom, sailing through the Virgin Islands, one other couple and a full staff (chef, captain, and someone to make me cocktails) A little on the spendy side.

A standard cruise ship - definitely not for me. If I won an all expense paid 7 day cruise on a boat with more than about 1,000 people, I'd donate it to charity.
Unpaintedhuffhines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:36 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
The Duchess agreed to send Eagle a check from her share of the refund.
We'll take checks, money orders, gift cards, credit cards or even cruise tickets, inside or balcony.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:27 AM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unpaintedhuffhines View Post
My problem is that what I'm looking for is a 60 foot yacht with a large stateroom, sailing through the Virgin Islands, one other couple and a full staff (chef, captain, and someone to make me cocktails) A little on the spendy side..

+1, except Iíd trade the one other couple for the Swedish bikini team...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:32 AM   #86

While we are still on the subject, our cell phones won't work in Mexico unless we pay AT&T an extra $10.00 a day for each phone (at least I think that might be the fee). Any thoughts about paying/not paying for cell phone activity? We're leaving in three hours, so don't spend too much time thinking about this.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:48 AM   #87

I looked into this a few months ago when we went on a cruise.

First, you need to "opt in" by going to the website and signing up.

Second, you only get charged for days you actually use the phone. Actually, I think it is a 24 hour period from first use.

We set up one phone, just in case, but never used it.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:29 AM   #88

Thanks CardsFan...
We will set it up.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:49 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43 View Post
We'll take checks, money orders, gift cards, credit cards or even cruise tickets, inside or balcony.
Great. But, I must tell you at CardsFan's insistence, we signed up for international calls. That expense will unfortunately reduce the size of your award. Thank you for understanding.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:57 AM   #90

Have a great time, redduck!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:08 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
While we are still on the subject, our cell phones won't work in Mexico unless we pay AT&T an extra $10.00 a day for each phone (at least I think that might be the fee). Any thoughts about paying/not paying for cell phone activity? We're leaving in three hours, so don't spend too much time thinking about this.
Keep your phones on no roaming?

T-Mobile includes Mexico and Canada in their US plans.

Have a great trip!
Old 04-07-2018, 03:10 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Circa 1998, when my late wife and I were fulltime RVing, we drove from Parker, AZ, to Yuma with another couple who were looking for people they knew......pulled into this huge RV park and asked the first people we saw where they might possibly be......apropos of nothing one of them commented that "He and his wife had been coming to this same park every winter for 15 years.."

Simultaneously the four of us in our truck blurted out "WHY?"
Our friend's Father went there every winter. To the same question, she said it was all he could afford. He also used to smuggle cheap alcohol under the floor of his RV upon his return to Canada, enough to last him until next winter.

We came through Yuma on our way to Mexico in 2008. We left the hotel in the morning in the midst of a blinding sandstorm. We drove along the interstate toward Nogales for an hour with emergency flashers on. Then we just had sagebrush to contend with.
Old 04-07-2018, 03:31 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

We never have trouble finding a deck chair to sit in. We want to visit with others and are rarely in our room.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:36 PM   #94

Quote:
Great. But, I must tell you at CardsFan's insistence, we signed up for international calls. That expense will unfortunately reduce the size of your award. Thank you for understanding.
I guess you have embarked by now. Hope you have a great trip.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:15 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
We never have trouble finding a deck chair to sit in. We want to visit with others and are rarely in our room.
I think itís just the poolside chairs that are hard to get.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:17 AM   #96

Quote:
Yeah, I guess I don't consider 6 friends on a sailboat "cruising," but I agree with you 100% that there is something for everyone on a boat. My problem is that what I'm looking for is a 60 foot yacht with a large stateroom, sailing through the Virgin Islands, one other couple and a full staff (chef, captain, and someone to make me cocktails) A little on the spendy side.

A standard cruise ship - definitely not for me. If I won an all expense paid 7 day cruise on a boat with more than about 1,000 people, I'd donate it to charity.

Last year we did a cruise through the British Virgin Islands on a 48 foot yacht with 2 other couples, a captain and a chef/cocktail waitress. A 7-day cruise was about $7K/couple including tips. A lot more than a huge cruise ship but all of us felt it was a good value.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:20 AM   #97

Quote:

Last year we did a 7-day cruise through the BVI on a 48 foot yacht with a captain and chef/first mate/cocktail waitress. We shared the yacht with 2 other couples and all had nice staterooms with private baths. It was $7K/couple including tips. A lot more than a huge cruise ship but far more relaxing and a truly customized experience. We all felt it was a good value.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:00 AM   #98

We have done far fewer cruises since retiring. This may seem counter intuitive.

Now that we have more time we are doing independent land tours. Often two a year, two months at a time. We may pick up a last minute cruise as part of the journey. Independent land travel can be tiring, especially when we typically only plan a few days in advance. So the cruise is a nice vacation from that-in the same manner it was when we were working.

Now retired, we prefer to travel at our own pace and spend more time in some locations than would otherwise be possible on a cruise or an organized land tour. We do enjoy a cruise. Last year we combined a SA cruise with independent travel. Worked out well for us.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:11 AM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
We have done far fewer cruises since retiring. This may seem counter intuitive.

Now that we have more time we are doing independent land tours. Often two a year, two months at a time. We may pick up a last minute cruise as part of the journey. Independent land travel can be tiring, especially when we typically only plan a few days in advance. So the cruise is a nice vacation from that-in the same manner it was when we were working.

Now retired, we prefer to travel at our own pace and spend more time in some locations than would otherwise be possible on a cruise or an organized land tour. We do enjoy a cruise. Last year we combined a SA cruise with independent travel. Worked out well for us.
Looking into slow travel next year. Care to share some of the places you have toured for a month plus?
Old 04-08-2018, 08:07 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Looking into slow travel next year. Care to share some of the places you have toured for a month plus?

Mexico Baja. Cabo, Loreto, La Paz, Los Barilles, Todos Santos. We stay 4-7 days in each place