Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-09-2018, 05:49 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
Mexico Baja. Cabo, Loreto, La Paz, Los Barilles, Todos Santos. We stay 4-7 days in each place
Thanks. Sounds like a great trip. Mexico is on our bucket list.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2018, 10:54 PM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We stayed in the USVI and spent time there and the BVI last year for 3 months. More relaxation vs “touring” but still wonderful. Year 2 of ER, we are going to Greece for 6 weeks - 5 weeks on land and 1 week on a small crewed sailboat.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:23 PM   #103

YMMV regarding inside cabins. I never had one before. They can get real dark and they are not as big as outside cabins (at least not the one we got). We brought a clock that glowed in the dark (much like myself) so the room was never completely blacked out. The room was quiet and we slept well. We also spent as little time in the cabin as possible. We felt that while a balcony would have be nice (but not important) a window would have been a great enhancement. I would not have wanted to use that room for travel for more than our seven day trip. One major downside that occurred to me: if the traveler were to become ill and had to stay in bed, it would be like being sick in a closet--a window then would become a necessity (at least for me).

I guess it was worth the $2150 credit (we will receive a check for that amount, less shipboard expenses).

I'm curious to see if we would opt for an inside cabin again--even if the cruise line was willing to refund our money and give us another almost free cruise.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:58 AM   #104

Welcome back Duck.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:22 AM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
YMMV regarding inside cabins. I never had one before. They can get real dark and they are not as big as outside cabins (at least not the one we got). We brought a clock that glowed in the dark (much like myself) so the room was never completely blacked out. The room was quiet and we slept well. We also spent as little time in the cabin as possible. We felt that while a balcony would have be nice (but not important) a window would have been a great enhancement. I would not have wanted to use that room for travel for more than our seven day trip. One major downside that occurred to me: if the traveler were to become ill and had to stay in bed, it would be like being sick in a closet--a window then would become a necessity (at least for me).

I guess it was worth the $2150 credit (we will receive a check for that amount, less shipboard expenses).

I'm curious to see if we would opt for an inside cabin again--even if the cruise line was willing to refund our money and give us another almost free cruise.
It sound like you would have enjoyed your cruise more with a balcony? That is a big credit, but maybe you would have spent more time in the privacy of your room if you had a balcony?
Old 04-16-2018, 12:04 PM   #106

Quote:
One major downside that occurred to me: if the traveler were to become ill and had to stay in bed, it would be like being sick in a closet--a window then would become a necessity (at least for me).
Depends on what type of 'ill' - if you are dealing with motion sickness, a window with its ever-undulating horizon is *not* your friend!
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:06 PM   #107

We've had an inside room a couple of times and never minded it much. However there is one thing I hate and that's noise. We had a balcony on Deck 4 in the back of the ship which was above the Vista Lounge. First 2 nights, noise-free. Then they had bands playing so loud the room shook. We were miserable. They told me it would stop around midnight. This lounge had performances scheduled the next 3 nights. This was the one time I yelled at the night manager when he told me there were no balcony rooms available. They told me a cruise director would talk to me the next day. Turns out he could find a balcony room on deck 8, and we moved.

Lesson learned. Select your room away from possible noise. I think on the big ships you want to be on Floor 7/8, which will put you above the lounges and below the pool deck.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:10 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
Welcome back Duck.
Thanks. I thought that might be you in the parking lot with the "Welcome Home Duck" banners and balloons.

And, speaking of parking lots, the two times we got loost was driving to the ship and driving away from the ship. I set up Google Maps so we were heading to the docks where it turns out there were hundreds of cargo containers stacked. Ended up there three times. I should have put the ship's pier number in instead (or pier address instead). The other time we got loost was leaving the parking lot, drove around it twice before asking for directions. But, we did get to look up twice at the battleship Iowa. That was kind of neat.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:23 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

When we had rooms with windows we mostly had the curtains drawn because people walking around the deck could see in. The inside rooms are so dark that I had to leave the bathroom light on and opened a bit so I could find it in the middle of the night. I can see that if you are still working having a balcony would be nice to get away from people. But as someone already mentioned we are alone enough and want to spend time around people on the cruise.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:18 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
It sound like you would have enjoyed your cruise more with a balcony? That is a big credit, but maybe you would have spent more time in the privacy of your room if you had a balcony?
Yes, we would have enjoyed the trip more if we had a balcony. But, getting pretty much a free cruise made the trip enjoyable enough. Leaving the room is not necessarily a bad thing because I met some almost interesting people. I met a whole bunch of people (they weren't in a group) who were retired air force and were mostly from Texas. "Great" I thought "this guy is REWahoo." But then I noticed the intelligent look in his eyes, and figured, "Nope, not REWahoo." One guy was from just a bit outside of Houston and I remembered that braumeister is from just a bit outside of Houston and figured this would be too much of a long-shot. I did introduce my significant other to him as "The Duchess, audreyh1," but he showed no sign of recognition. Perhaps a bit of concern, but no recognition.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:57 PM   #111
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
"Great" I thought "this guy is REWahoo." But then I noticed the intelligent look in his eyes, and figured, "Nope, not REWahoo." One guy was from just a bit outside of Houston and I remembered that braumeister is from just a bit outside of Houston and figured this would be too much of a long-shot. I did introduce my significant other to him as "The Duchess, audreyh1," but he showed no sign of recognition. Perhaps a bit of concern, but no recognition.
You forgot to mention me . I was on that cruise but in a balcony room so we ignored the inside room rif raff .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:45 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
You forgot to mention me . I was on that cruise but in a balcony room so we ignored the inside room rif raff .
How many times do I need to tell you it's riff raff!!! (Sorry that I forgot to mention you).