Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-04-2018, 08:33 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I could care less about a balcony. We had one going over to the Bahamas just before Christmas, but I would have been just as happy inside had we not had a 6 year old granddaughter with us.

We are leaving next weekend for a 12 day repositioning cruise ending in England. I did spring for an outside window at the wife's insistence as the inside room originally booked was in a bad location.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2018, 08:41 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would take their offer. It has been many years since I have been in an inside cabin, but the balconies don't really do much for me. The ladies that I travel with want balconies and we have been in a junior suite and a suite. I go with the flow, but I would be fine with an inside. I don't spend a lot of time out on the balcony.
Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Your turn. What DID you do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Let's let this run a bit more--I don't want to contaminate future replies (assuming there are any).
Quote:
Fair enough. It is an interesting proposition
OK, CaptTom pushed it over the edge.

Here's what happened in the 15 minutes given to me to think about the situation:
I first thought that getting almost all our money back was a pretty good deal and that we could get a balcony on our next trip. Then I thought, "Why would I want to go on a cruise and not have a balcony?" Then I thought with the savings, I could buy as many brandy Alexander's as I could ever want (and even have them put a scoop of vanilla ice cream in the drinks). Then I thought that maybe having an inside room would be a good idea as it would get me out of the room and cause me to be around people--even if it just meant sitting outside on the deck reading a book.

Now, if someone asked me what I thought they should do in this case, assuming that money wasn't much of a consideration, I would suggest they not make any changes and just go with the original plan (the balcony).

We went with plan B (which sounds like the Balcony Plan, but isn't) We went with the inside room, I think mainly because the couple we are traveling with were sort of pushing in that direction.

If I had to do it over again, I'd go with the balcony cabin (which is also larger than the inside cabin).

The Duchess was completely neutral about this whole deal--or so she says.

CardsFan, thank you for your patience and understanding.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:56 PM   #24

I have never been on a cruise, and while I like to save money, am slightly claustrophobic. I suspect that such a call would send me into a dither of indecision, and I would be on the phone with my "cruising expert" friends begging for guidance.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:29 PM   #25

I would stay with the balcony. At this stage of life I'm not looking to be that frugal if I had already planned on a balcony.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:49 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

As a veteran of many cruises and the whole spectrum of cabin types from inside cabins to multi-room suites, I would have taken the inside in a NY minute. The wife and I really do spend almost no time in the cabin. Unless there is a specific reason to book otherwise, our default is a guarantee inside cabin which 50% of the time has resulted in an upgrade to an ocean view. Insides are closer to the center line of the ship and are many times on lower decks, thus better when the seas are rough. You can always read or watch the waves go by on the open decks of the ship, if that is your thing.
robertf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:11 AM   #27

I’e never had an inside cabin, always either an ocean view or a balcony, so I might have tried it just to see whether I could be happy with it. If I could try it for free and I liked it, it would save me a lot of money in the future.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:52 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Unless it was a super scenic cruise I would take the inside and save the money .
+1
Old 04-05-2018, 04:50 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertf57 View Post
As a veteran of many cruises and the whole spectrum of cabin types from inside cabins to multi-room suites, I would have taken the inside in a NY minute. The wife and I really do spend almost no time in the cabin. Unless there is a specific reason to book otherwise, our default is a guarantee inside cabin which 50% of the time has resulted in an upgrade to an ocean view. Insides are closer to the center line of the ship and are many times on lower decks, thus better when the seas are rough. You can always read or watch the waves go by on the open decks of the ship, if that is your thing.
+1 Sounds like us. Also include that my wife likes it totally dark to sleep.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:31 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Anything where I have to decide in 15 minutes is automatic "No." I don't think well on my feet and need time to cogitate, research, pester people on forums with ridiculous questions, etc.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:28 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have been on a few cruises and only once had a balcony cabin yes, it was nicer to have a balcony, but I would have jumped on that deal. My travel budget lends itself to inside cabins and searching for the travel deal.
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:36 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Anything where I have to decide in 15 minutes is automatic "No." I don't think well on my feet and need time to cogitate, research, pester people on forums with ridiculous questions, etc.
And that would normally be my first reaction, as well. But when someone waves more than $2,000 under my nose....
Old 04-05-2018, 07:39 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And that would normally be my first reaction, as well. But when someone waves more than $2,000 under my nose....
+1
Old 04-05-2018, 07:45 AM   #34

I just asked DW what we would have done in that situation.

She said: "I would have been mad with you if you didn't take the $2000"

Knew there was a reason I married that girl....
Old 04-05-2018, 07:50 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
I just asked DW what we would have done in that situation.

She said: "I would have been mad with you if you didn't take the $2000"

Knew there was a reason I married that girl....
As I said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I would take the money. And I would not have to ask my wife, as I know how frugal she is.

The last cruise we took, we had the balcony. We did not use it much, preferring to be out of the cabin.
If I would not take the money, I would never hear the end of it.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:51 AM   #36

I'd take the money and inside cabin. We always book a cabin with a balcony. But honestly, we spend very little time in the room, and even less on the balcony. There are many enjoyable areas on the ship to sit, drink coffee, and watch the waves.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:02 AM   #37

As a non-cruiser (so far) does Inside cabin really mean interior, as in, no windows even? I think I'd find that claustrophobic. I would trade a balcony for a window to save $2k, but I don't think I'd be able to trade for a wall.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:06 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
does Inside cabin really mean interior, as in, no windows even?
Yes. (But there are lights.)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:17 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Two years ago we had a move over offer from Princess. We had booked a balcony cabin on a 14 day South American cruise.

The offer was:
-full refund
-a free 14 day cruise on any Princess itinerary
-an upgrade from a balcony cabin to a mini suite
-up to $300 USD to compensate us for costs relating to changing our air.

Took me all of about 5 seconds to say yes.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:28 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I recall now why we were not out in the balcony so much on the last cruise. It was windy like heck on that trip.

Our mood also changed, compared to when both of us were still working hard full-time. Back then, we would welcome a chance to relax and be by ourselves. Now, we have so much time to be up in our quiet high-country boondocks home to do navel contemplation already.

So, when we travel, whether on a cruise or fly-and-drive or RV'ing, we like to be out to watch people or to do sightseeing or going to museums. No need to sit in a balcony to read. I do plenty of that at home.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote