Join Early Retirement Today

This would blow a big hole in my RE plans
Old 06-24-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
This would blow a big hole in my RE plans

I do not want to read about bad news. Please, can someone read this article and tell me this is just a joke?

Quote:
Men retiring at age 65 in 2009 will need from $68,000 to $173,000 in savings to cover health-insurance premiums and out-of-pocket expenses in retirement if they want a 50/50 chance of being able to have enough money, and $134,000 to $378,000 if they prefer a 90% chance, according to a study published last week by the Employee Benefits Research Institute.

Meanwhile, women -- with their greater longevity -- will need even more money. A women retiring at age 65 in 2009 will need from $98,000 to $242,000 in savings to cover insurance premiums and out-of-pocket expenses in retirement for a 50/50 chance of having enough money, and $164,000 to $450,000 for a 90% chance, said Paul Fronstin, an EBRI researcher, in the report.
retirees-may-well-worry-health-care-reform.html: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2009, 03:29 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I do not want to read about bad news. Please, can someone read this article and tell me this is just a joke?
I wouldn't worry about it. You'll be dead long before anyone wastes that kind of money on your medical care. Or mine.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:55 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

See, don't you feel better already?

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:36 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

1993 - 2005, no insurance a bad attitude and an up to date American Passport.

Not recommended but I suspect medical tourism, and or no insurance shall continue to rise.

At age 65 - a relatively inexpensive state(and no pre-existing conditions) helps.

Still $178/mo ain't chump change.

heh heh heh - I don't expect to hear any solutions in the future.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:52 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post

retirees-may-well-worry-health-care-reform.html: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance
MIL, 66, spends about $6,200 a year on health care (including out-of-pocket expenses and premiums) and she is in relatively good health. If she lives another 30 years, that's $186,000 she will need to continue covering those expenses (assuming that those $186K can keep up with health care costs inflation). Of course, it's probably an underestimation. It doesn't even include the potential costs associated with a serious illness or the costs of long term care...

But why worry? She doesn't even have the $186K now...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:56 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
MIL, 66, spends about $6,200 a year on health care (including out-of-pocket expenses and premiums) and she is in relatively good health. If she lives another 30 years, that's $186,000 she will need to continue covering those expenses (assuming that those $186K can keep up with health care costs inflation). Of course, it's probably an underestimation. It doesn't even include the potential costs associated with a serious illness or the costs of long term care...

But why worry? She doesn't even have the $186K now...

This seems realistic to me. With medicare part B & D premiums, a medigap policy, deductibles and co-pays 5K per year is a best case for me. And don't forget dental and vision costs. Root canal and a crown 2 to 3K.

If this kills your retirement you better keep working.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:11 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. You'll be dead long before anyone wastes that kind of money on your medical care. Or mine.
We are doomed!

The only question in my mind is whether one would die a quick merciful death, or a prolonged one in agony.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:41 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Well, $134,000 divided by 25 is $5,360 a year. So using the 4% guide (same as 25x), you would need that much to cover $5,360 in premiums. $5,360 is in the ballpark for premiums. That assumes ins = CPI, which it has exceeded for a long time (but may revert to the mean, or not).

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:14 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Why is this surprising?

I've always figured $250,000 apart from my retirement savings for healthcare costs. Admittedly, I'm in fair-to-poor nick, what with diabetes and all. But, increasingly I'm becoming convinced that eventually the gov't will begin cutting Medicare benefits and S.S. payouts; there's just not enough $ available in our demographically-challenged future economy to cover Boomers like me.

Initially I thought I could retire at 65 or so with $750,000 or so; current plan is, work 'til I have $1,300,000 or so.

Only a million to go!

- Jack Bogle
Lawrence of Suburbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:46 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I fear that medicare will become means tested in which case my medical expenses post 65 will be higher than that.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:26 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
I fear that medicare will become means tested in which case my medical expenses post 65 will be higher than that.
If they only soak "the rich", I should be ok...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:10 AM   #12

Mickey, do you have any sort of military health care benefits? That's a CIB in your avatar, right?
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:29 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
Mickey, do you have any sort of military health care benefits? That's a CIB in your avatar, right?
Yea, but when I turn 65 in Nov medicare become primary and TFL secondary.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:23 PM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

Reality bites! My wife and I pay ~ 1300/mo for medical insurance alone through our former company's retirement plan (and they kick in some on top of that.) No dental included. It is our single largest monthly expense by far.
loosehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:13 AM   #15

I'll get some sort of Tricare at age 60, TFL at 65 also. I hope that will keep some of the costs down. But, I don't get anything until age 60 (2026) and a lot can change before then. Heck, we may have universal health insurance by then.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote