Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Thrifty Gal
Old 07-05-2016, 07:43 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thrifty Gal

Read an interesting article about a young lady lawyer who retired at 33 having achieved FI.

Woman who retired at 33 to travel the world says you could too with some thrifty saving | Daily Mail Online

Her blog is listed in the article.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2016, 07:49 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

good for her, I guess
Old 07-05-2016, 07:52 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

If I were not already married -- and too old -- I would like to marry this girl!
Old 07-05-2016, 09:03 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This lady was already discussed in an earlier thread just a few days ago, but darned if I can find it............

Old 07-05-2016, 09:18 PM   #5

Funny positive comments for an attractive lady retiring with 24K per year versus negative comments for a reddit young man retiring on 24K per year on similar amounts of funds. Thrifty gal versus is this guy crazy LOL
Old 07-05-2016, 09:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
Funny positive comments for an attractive lady retiring with 24K per year versus negative comments for a reddit young man retiring on 24K per year on similar amounts of funds. Thrifty gal versus is this guy crazy LOL

The obvious difference is that she's has a blog. So she's not really retired.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:08 AM   #7

Quote:
There are many advantages a woman has over a guy in this situation. If $24K is not enough, she can always get a sugar daddy. At least for the next ~12 years or so. Of course, as a single female, the world is a bit more dangerous.

A guy has a more difficult time gaining a more affluent partner, but might be safer in a lower income area with less of a chance to look like 'prey'.

Either way, $24K might seem great at 33, but at 70 maybe not. For either, there is the possibility of many forms of public assistance. Less choices, but the basic needs are met.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 07-06-2016, 06:37 AM   #8

Quote:
She also doesn't have bitcoin "investments" and heavily real estates concentration, so there's that. But yeah, thrifty or crazy, funny how that goes depending on perspective.

I'm a bit more worried though about these types of individuals in terms of social support. Moving around all the time can be a killer.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:57 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
There are many advantages a woman has over a guy in this situation. If $24K is not enough, she can always get a sugar daddy. At least for the next ~12 years or so. Of course, as a single female, the world is a bit more dangerous.

A guy has a more difficult time gaining a more affluent partner, but might be safer in a lower income area with less of a chance to look like 'prey'.

Either way, $24K might seem great at 33, but at 70 maybe not. For either, there is the possibility of many forms of public assistance. Less choices, but the basic needs are met.

Senator that generalization is so stereotypical and insulting... Oh, ok, I confess you just described me 25 years ago! When my "T" level in my 20s was considerably higher they only needed to be hot, dollars didn't matter. Now if I ever needed a new GF, more balance between financial stability and physical attractiveness would definitely be needed. Financial stability has a certain "sexiness" now to me that didn't register on me back in the younger days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2016, 07:15 AM   #10

Senator, have to double down on that - "can always get a sugar daddy" and "many advantages over a guy".... not many women reading this would agree with you.

Given she probably earned less than her male colleagues to get there, and would have a far harder time returning to work as a single 35 year old with a 7 year gap, than a male in the same situation...And those global travels as a single woman have more than a "bit" more danger to them vs. a man.

If she were unfit and unattractive, the overall comments might be a bit different from everyone as well.

Anyhoo, stopping that young to live on $24k per year seems to be cutting it close for any gender!
Old 07-06-2016, 07:24 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
She also doesn't have bitcoin "investments" and heavily real estates concentration, so there's that. .........
Or hairy palms.........
Old 07-06-2016, 07:37 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Senator, have to double down on that - "can always get a sugar daddy" and "many advantages over a guy".... not many women reading this would agree with you.

Given she probably earned less than her male colleagues to get there, and would have a far harder time returning to work as a single 35 year old with a 7 year gap, than a male in the same situation...And those global travels as a single woman have more than a "bit" more danger to them vs. a man.

If she were unfit and unattractive, the overall comments might be a bit different from everyone as well.

Anyhoo, stopping that young to live on $24k per year seems to be cutting it close for any gender!
+1
Old 07-06-2016, 07:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post

I thought she was attractive enough to get a sugar daddy. Do you not think she is attractive enough to get a sugar daddy?
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 07-06-2016, 07:49 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I thought she was attractive enough to get a sugar daddy. Do you not think she is attractive enough to get a sugar daddy?
Please stop making sexist comments, Senator. Some of us find this quite offensive.

BTW! Congratulations on your retirement.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:52 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by medved View Post
If I were not already married -- and too old -- I would like to marry this girl!
I wouldn't - she'd have me eating cat food in a week.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Please stop making sexist comments, Senator. Some of us find this quite offensive.

BTW! Congratulations on your retirement.
Thank you for the congratulations!

I am not making sexist comments, just pointing out that it is an option for her. There are many people that marry others for financial security. Both men and women. Looks and attractiveness play a major role in mate selection. It biological. Better looking and younger people have better options.

Anytime a person does not want to date or marry someone because of their looks, criminal record or financial stability, they are making the same judgments.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:59 AM   #17
Administrator

Quote:

I am not making sexist comments, just pointing out that it is an option for her.
Actually, you are.

Quote:
Of course, the whole point of the article, and this thread, is thrift, and the ability to maintain a particular lifestyle while rejecting a traditional approach.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:07 AM   #18

Senator, it's puzzling that you don't realize your comments are sexist, but the short answer is:

Anytime you make an assumption that "because she's a girl" - that's sexist, more so if it's based on looks. Your specific mention of her option is about 2 steps away from suggesting she could also take up stripping or whoring. "find a guy to get money from" =same thing, that's what a sugar daddy is in 2016.

I'll give you some other examples:
Give a higher raise to Jim than Jane, because he has to support his whole family
Give the promotion to Jim, Jane has kids and probably can't take on the responsibility
Give the training course and travel to Jim, Jane probably can't spend that much time away from home
Layoff Jane not Jim, Jane's husband can support her
Jane probably got that new job because she's good-looking

All things many people have said and thought, without considering themselves sexist. Still sexist.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:23 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I think that sexist comments are horrible! In fact the very concept of sex or gender is suspect in my opinion! The words man and woman should be stricken from the set of tolerated language.

Ha
Old 07-06-2016, 09:34 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

The issue is stereotyping.

How would you gentlemen feel if I started referring to men, in general, as testosterone-crazed rapists? Would you not feel somewhat offended? You should.
Closed Thread