Time to buy? What are you buying?

Limit order on BRK.B filled at $164. Got 2x in at $137. Closed at $162 today.

The dollar has appreciated a lot against other currencies during this pandemic. Other nations seem to be lapping up the dollars being printed by the Fed. This currency trade on top of the foreign markets really hurts international positions. IMHO, setting up a tilt in international will bounce back a bit bigger than the USA indices - sometime in the future.

Small and medium business don't have the cash reserves or borrowing power like the bigger S&P500 or NASDAQ, so they are hit harder and faster than the big boys. The midcaps indices are suffering. IMHO - if individual states governments keep up quarantine in a few states (like New York and New Jersey) - indices like the Russel 2000 will bounce back more slowly than the big indices - and call ill afford the low interest loans that will be offered.

Somewhat related- Is there a source for the S&P close each day? Something that I could use as a lookup for charting portfolio performance vs S&P?

I'm buying hotel cumulative preferreds, and CEM. I believe this is all short lived.

IMHO I think most of the US will be going back to work in the next two-three weeks. COVID-19 peaked in 43 days in S. Korea and Italy. US is 14 days behind.

Geez, time to buy was Monday. Market up 8% right now.

I've been picking up short duration, quality munis. The yields are at levels I haven't seen in a long time for bonds maturing in 3 months to 2 years. 3x-4x CD rates.

My guess is you'll have another chance or two to "buy low".

Agree, there is plenty of time to buy equities. Even if you miss the first 10% move, which may identify the up tread, there is still much upside after that.

My guess is you'll have another chance or two to "buy low".

Mine too. I've got alerts set with 5% intervals from -35% to -50%. If they hit I'll buy. If not I'll be grateful it wasn't that bad after all. In either case it looks like my rising equity glide path is down the road quite a bit.

IMHO I think most of the US will be going back to work in the next two-three weeks. COVID-19 peaked in 43 days in S. Korea and Italy. US is 14 days behind.

I don't understand this logic. With the virus now in every state, and contagious before showing symptoms, and we can't completely isolate everyone due to workers in grocery stores, gas stations, hospitals, delivery ect.. Why wouldn't the number of infected explode once the isolated are released into the currently infected working population? It seems to me, this virus will survive until there is enough immunity in the population to starve if off. Am I missing something in this line of thinking?

I just bought 100k in spy today at 222.80 hoping to sell it on a pop if stimulus bill passed. .

I just sold the spy 6% gain. Now if I can just do this 37 more times Ill be back to even. LOL!

I'm still holding my original portfolio. I would wager this will see new lows, so I am not making any permanent additions to the stock side of my portfolio. If I am wrong, then I will ride it right back up to where we started, which sounds good to me. Re-balancing is hard.

I just assumed the four you listed were individual stocks.

And not looking for a debate, but I am curious why you think now is a good time if you’re willing to share? Don’t know where the markets are going but it seems we’re far from the end of the underlying event(s)?

It seems the tide is changing from saving people to save the economy. Things could be changing in the next few weeks in that regard. Saw the (I believe) Texas Lt. Governor saying he believes most seniors would risk death for the sake of their grandchildren having a good future. When you hear people saying that in public, the tide may be turning. Trump seems to be hinting that also.

Saw the (I believe) Texas Lt. Governor saying he believes most seniors would risk death for the sake of their grandchildren having a good future.

As a Texan and a grandparent, my response to Dan Patrick's comment he's willing to die to improve the economy for his grandchildren is - you go first. :)

Last edited:
I have not heard of the company but just looked them up. Looks interesting. They seem to be in a good space (medical and senior housing) which should be good for a long time. Without knowing anything I try to guess why it dropped so much more than the market as a whole!? If anything it seems medical should be good. You have any insight or thoughts on it?

I would not touch most REITs at this time. With forced shutdowns lots of places won't be able to pay their lease. Not good. Will try to find a good article I just read on the subject.

As a Texan and a grandparent, my response to Dan Patrick's comment he's willing to die to improve the economy for his grandchildren is - you go first. :)

Well he did say he is 70 (again, I believe would have to go back and check) so at least he's in the at risk age group. It would be way worse to hear some 30 something espousing this.

Yesterday I nibbled and bought some additional AAPL, V, C and SDY. They did well today. I still have some dry powder, so will wait to see how things play out.

I re-started a position in SCHB in my IRA that I sold a month ago. If the market gets a rise tomorrow, I will add to it.

I've been picking up short duration, quality munis. The yields are at levels I haven't seen in a long time for bonds maturing in 3 months to 2 years. 3x-4x CD rates.

Yes, I'm dipping into that market too. A rated, 4% yield, federal tax exempt. Going out a little longer than you, though, to 2024-2026.

While I watched my 401K going down in flames.... it will recover :) I bought several near or at their lows. Already looking good on the balance sheet after today with plenty of upside left. I really intend to play these long. I played with money it wouldn't hurt much to lose and picked up F, FCAU, CZR, ALK, and NEE.

I just noticed that my AA had gone from the desired 42:58, to 35:65. :eek: So, I just forced myself to rebalance

Dow up 2113 points today, before Vanguard completed my transactions, of course!

Oh well. On the bright side, I think I have finally perfected the "Reverse Wheee!!!". :clap: :LOL: :dance:

Unless you're an active trader and buying and selling stocks to make short term profits, I just don't understand the wisdom of buying at this moment for the long term. Unless you have a crystal ball or you're attempting to time a bottom, wouldn't it be more wise to wait to see how this coronavirus thing plays out? My gut feel is that even with the government bailouts, we're headed for a big recession or worse, depression. I'm not criticizing your decisions to buy just trying to understand your logic.

Because, by the time we know how it plays out, it will be too late. The market will know too and have priced it in. Right now, the market is pricing in disaster. That's the time to start shopping and, maybe, buying. So I've been buying slowly -- companies with strong balance sheets that are likely to weather the year to 18 month storm we have just started. I've got about 20% of my investible cash in.

-- Doug

Back
Top Bottom