Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-26-2020, 11:34 AM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

With CD rates in the tank, finding it hard to pass up ST muni A rated with yields 2.5-3.0 for taxable account. Sure not triple A, but nearly double the yield ?
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2020, 11:54 AM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
With CD rates in the tank, finding it hard to pass up ST muni A rated with yields 2.5-3.0 for taxable account. Sure not triple A, but nearly double the yield ?
Earlier in the week they were over 4%. Those deals went fast.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:09 PM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Yeah, the window has all but closed, I'm afraid.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:13 PM   #144

I thought very seriously about buying a couple thousand shares of CCL as a gamble when it was $8....dang and today it is $18.

Shoulda woulda coulda.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:34 PM   #145
Recycles dryer sheets

Would anybody like to guess whether the market will be a V or a W?
Toocold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:46 PM   #146
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
I am still calling the long U.

Recent bounce is just that - a bounce.
DW and I are 59/59. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension available but will remain untouched until mid sixties to grow, max SS for DH at FRA or 70. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG next few years. AA 40% stocks, 7% cash and 53% Intermediate Treasury fund. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:50 PM   #147

Investing in fixed income for the past 30 years has taught me that the time to buy is when there is a panic. The liquidations that was going on in fixed during the past two weeks dwarfs what happened in 2013 and was close to what happened in 2008/2009. What we witnessed is what happens when investors and funds are over-leveraged - they sell everything to raise cash. I saw bid/ask spreads of 15-20% on high quality investment grade corporate bonds. The Fed needed to step in and put a bid under the bond market as 8.9% or more YTM on 5 year investment grade corporate notes was far too high relative to near zero rates for treasuries. If they didn't act, program trading would have pulverized the equity markets.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:02 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Now you see it, now you don't. I just became really aware of how extreme the mayhem was in the bond market earlier this week. Since I did not have any free cash in my tax deferred, I did not really explore. Finally light bulb went on that I had maturing CDs that I could move back from Ally and grab some muni in my taxable account.
The Fido bond trader told me that he still had clients cashing T-bills that were 2 weeks from maturing. Pretty much all from CV-19 etc fear,.
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:10 PM   #149
Recycles dryer sheets

Still buying SPY (well, my 401k's SP500 fund). A little at a time.

Once my individual stock holdings in my IRA settle out I will start selling them and moving into ETFs.

Not in a huge hurry but have noticed that individual stocks can wreak havoc (high anxiety) during these events. Lesson learned from MLP, REIT stocks.
Born2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:12 PM   #150

Well, tomorrow is the day I pull the trigger on getting back with another big chunk. Still have a fair amount in Bond funds, but need a few more days so I don't trigger the 'Roundtrip' warnings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg N95Bull.jpg (124.8 KB, 37 views)
Old 03-26-2020, 02:15 PM   #151

My limit order for WMT didnít trigger, but overall a great day. I decided to sell my MAR with a nice gain (in an IRA). I suspect a down day tomorrow with people taking gains before the weekend.
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:15 PM   #152
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
I'd love to buy in but everything in me says this just doesn't seem right. Yes the govt handed out all kinds of money but to me its a short lived rally and we are looking at a W
I just sold half of my asset today, I will be watching from the sideline until I can buy toilet paper from Target near my house.
petery129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:17 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by petery129 View Post
I just sold half of my asset today, I will be watching from the sideline until I can buy toilet paper from Target near my house.
Good luck, sir. But, ugh, selling when we are down 20+% is a hard pill to swallow.
brokrken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:43 PM   #154
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Put in a sell order for my BA, if it hits $200. I'll buy again if it drops again. I think this is far from the end of the troubles, and I still have a couple of buys that didn't execute yet, although I may up my AAPL buy from $85 to $150. Ya never know.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:05 PM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by petery129 View Post
Not a bad time to sell, market up a record 20% in 3 days! Typical bear mkt rally?

Iíll just hold on and add more on the next 25%+ drop.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:08 PM   #156

With the last few days 20% up my next falling knife order for VTI at limit $104 may take awhile. But I don't mind the wait.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:23 PM   #157

Yesterday jammed in the $7,100 contribution for 2020 in our HSA. All of it in IVV for now.
RetireAge50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Time to buy? What are you buying?
Old 03-28-2020, 06:44 AM   #158
Confused about dryer sheets

Time to buy? What are you buying?

I bought into existing holdings to cost average because the stock went down so low (x). Also purchased new shares of (msft, dal, and sotk).
Weazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:30 AM   #159
Dryer sheet aficionado

Nobody knows the real answer, but here and there are tidbits of intelligence.

Jim Cramer said get ready for a rocket ship once science finds any grip on slowing/curing the covid.

I am into S and P index and some aristocrats right now with as much as I can stand to lose.

I like T, but cant pull the trigger. I likely will before monday.

I have no data, just what I feel good about.

I am not risking the bulk of our nest egg though.

Just trying to be greedy during panic etc.

Thanks.
besa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:28 AM   #160
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thinking of adding to our ABT position. (Re: Covid 15 min tests)
leftymd is offline   Reply With Quote