Join Early Retirement Today

Time to buy? What are you buying?
Old 03-20-2020, 08:59 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Time to buy? What are you buying?

Okay, I decided today to start putting some of my money back to work. This morning I purchased shares of C, CMG, MAR and V.
Is anybody else dipping their toe in and if so, what are you buying?
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2020, 09:02 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Okay, I decided today to start putting some of my money back to work. This morning I purchased shares of C, CMG, MAR and V.
Is anybody else dipping their toe in and if so, what are you buying?
I assume you meant this for the Stock Picking forum? I’m just rebalancing adding to my existing AA holdings at month end. I’m an avowed non timer. BTW, the COVID-19 episode isn’t over yet but you believe the market reaction if fully baked in now?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:06 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I assume you meant this for the Stock Picking forum? I’m just rebalancing adding to my existing AA holdings at month end. I’m an avowed non timer.

No, it doesn’t have to be individual stocks. I know there are many ETF, Mutual Funds and bond buyers here.

My bond ETFs and mutual funds took a beating too, so I sold them to buy the stocks.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:23 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, it doesn’t have to be individual stocks. I know there are many ETF, Mutual Funds and bond buyers here.

My bond ETFs and mutual funds took a beating too, so I sold them to buy the stocks.
I just assumed the four you listed were individual stocks.

And not looking for a debate, but I am curious why you think now is a good time if you’re willing to share? Don’t know where the markets are going but it seems we’re far from the end of the underlying event(s)?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:25 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I just assumed the four you listed were individual stocks.

And not looking for a debate, but I am curious why you think now is a good time?

They are. But I’m asking what others are doing, if anything.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:33 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

With state after state going to be announcing "shelter at home". This would not be a buying op for me, just going to stay put for now.
capjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:34 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Think there will be a glut of commercial property on the market in a few months. Ever had the desire to own a nice motel? I've read the suggestion that many of the folks who thought airBnB places would cover the mortgage and expenses and give a nice cash on cash return are going to be in the hurts as travel stays drop. I'm wondering,morbidly, about how many people are going to tough it out too long and croak it in their homes. Images of mummified little old couples in their little old homes.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:35 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
They are. But I’m asking what others are doing, if anything.
I unloaded a bunch of ETF's in late February. My AA then was roughly 25/75. I'm sitting on 90% cash (a lot of 3% CD's, a muni bond fund, and two MM funds) and sitting this out until the smoke clears. I am 76 1/2 and DW is 75 with serious health issues.

When all you kind and knowledgeable folks here think it's time to buy, let me know and I will wait another month or so before I make a decision to get back in or not.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:37 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
I'm wondering,morbidly, about how many people are going to tough it out too long and croak it in their homes. Images of mummified little old couples in their little old homes.
I'll tell the kids not to post any pictures of us on FB or that neighborhood site.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:43 AM   #10
gone traveling

Bought 1000 shares of F at $4.11 yesterday, hoping to get a $2k bump over the next couple of weeks. If not, I will just hold for a month or two. Not much in the game, but just "gampling" since my trip to Vegas was cancelled.
Tiger8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:59 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have been buying and selling investment grade preferred stocks for the past week. I make a big purchase yesterday in preferred stocks and started to unload them today. I also bought some investment grade short term notes to add to my bond portfolio. I am now 20% cash and 80% bonds and CDs. A lot of the bad headlines that we will see in the coming weeks is already discounted. As long as the volatility drops, people will have more confidence moving forward. The yield curve has normalized for now signally a recover ahead. However, this event will accelerate the demise of many sectors in the market that were already in a bear market like retail and energy and others. The government can't save every business. We are likely to see more of these events in the future so investors will be more cautious moving forward. In the long run, we are going to enter an extended secular bear market with some powerful surges up. Long term I see the 10 year note going to near zero after the effects of the government bailouts end. What other states need to do is what California is doing now. I saw a drone shot of Santa Monica Pier this morning. It was completely empty. While this may be shocking to a lot of people, it was actually encouraging that people are finally listening. A virus spreads by infecting hosts. If there are no hosts, to spread to, it dies out. This is biology 101.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:01 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Think there will be a glut of commercial property on the market in a few months. Ever had the desire to own a nice motel? I've read the suggestion that many of the folks who thought airBnB places would cover the mortgage and expenses and give a nice cash on cash return are going to be in the hurts as travel stays drop. I'm wondering,morbidly, about how many people are going to tough it out too long and croak it in their homes. Images of mummified little old couples in their little old homes.

We’re wondering if the three families that booked our Jersey Shore home are going to back out. We have deposits and will return them if asked, but hope they’re still planning on going.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:03 AM   #13

Guns, ammo, and chloroquine. ;-)
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:07 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I have been adding to positions in very small increments on the huge down days.

I look for stocks with long secular growth runways that are beaten up, and some div stalwarts.

The market will bottom well before coronavirus fears are gone. Don't know when that will be but my experience when down this much is hold your nose and buy (or rebalance into) equities.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:22 AM   #15

Unless you're an active trader and buying and selling stocks to make short term profits, I just don't understand the wisdom of buying at this moment for the long term. Unless you have a crystal ball or you're attempting to time a bottom, wouldn't it be more wise to wait to see how this coronavirus thing plays out? My gut feel is that even with the government bailouts, we're headed for a big recession or worse, depression. I'm not criticizing your decisions to buy just trying to understand your logic.
DallasGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:09 AM   #16

I've been adding National Health Investors, Inc. (NHI) REIT
It was 90$ less than a month ago & trading at $40 today.
(no, it didn't split)
Old 03-20-2020, 11:40 AM   #17

Not much, but I put my tax refund (2k) into GEO today. Time will tell if this was a smart decision. Won't break the bank either way.
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:46 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
Unless you're an active trader and buying and selling stocks to make short term profits, I just don't understand the wisdom of buying at this moment for the long term. Unless you have a crystal ball or you're attempting to time a bottom, wouldn't it be more wise to wait to see how this coronavirus thing plays out? My gut feel is that even with the government bailouts, we're headed for a big recession or worse, depression. I'm not criticizing your decisions to buy just trying to understand your logic.

I’m 63, so still see long term for half of my portfolio. The market may go down more, but it’s easier to catch a good buy on the way down than it is on the way up, IMO. I expect the market to rise sharply when see the turnaround point in this virus scare. It may not rise back to its former high for a while, but it will rise sharply. Airlines and cruise lines will continue to have a tough road, but some industries are way oversold.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:46 AM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

I am not buying anything yet... will let the cash sit. A few months of missing earnings won't amount to a hill of beans compared to what else is going on right now.

This recovery will be slow, in my opinion. No need to try and time the bottom. There will be plenty of time and plenty of signals when the bear market is over. It's only just begun, after all!!
Dogpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:47 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
I've been adding National Health Investors, Inc. (NHI) REIT

It was 90$ less than a month ago & trading at $40 today.

(no, it didn't split)

I’ll have to check that out.