Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-23-2020, 05:29 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
You mean you are selling some of your actively managed mutual funds to take these capital losses and putting the money into index funds? That is a great idea. Just want to make sure I understand. Even at the market peak, my cost basis would not have generated as much capital gains as I thought, since I pay taxes on the distributions each year.
Yes. The worst culprit active funds with several years largish cap gains distributions (which kept reducing my unrealized cap gains) now have unrealized cap losses, so I am harvesting that and buying corresponding index fund.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2020, 08:13 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Not buying but wholesale unleaded gas looks pretty cheap at $0.625 / gallon.

https://futures.tradingcharts.com/marketquotes/RB_.html
Old 03-23-2020, 08:36 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeh View Post
Please read this before you do anything:

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Bogl...g_start-up_kit

What does that have to do with individual stocks?

And how much cash would I have on hand if I'd followed their "load up on index funds & bonds and stay the course, no matter what comes"?

I'm seeing a lot of regrets here from folks who decided to ride this to the bottom.
GreenEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:48 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm stuck at home and bored, so I've been gambling with 5% of my portfolio, buying on big down days and selling on the next up day. It makes me feel like I am doing something, but any gains are absolutely dwarfed by my retirement portfolio losses. I still haven't re-balanced my portfolio or sold any stock that I held prior to the crash.
BreathFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:10 AM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

My personal opinion is any bargains right now are in individual stocks, NOT the market as a whole. Be careful folks. The market is trading in the high teens PE based on 2019 earnings. Maybe 2021 will bring back those earnings? Maybe not? Doubt they could be higher.
Not exactly cheap.
BeachOrCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:20 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

I am having to really hold myself back this morning from buying Merck at $67.50.

Dang that is cheap. I am going to watch it closely and pounce when we get the big unemployment figures if it drops to the low $60s.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:55 PM   #67

I am nibbling a bit by buying the whole market. I have some cash from a house sale that I was looking for an opportunity to buy in. I have changed my buy in points as I now believe we could go very low.
Gatordoc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 03:45 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Of course my small cap and international funds are just getting killed!
Old 03-23-2020, 05:02 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Of course my small cap and international funds are just getting killed!
I rebalanced in both today. A very small amount. Small Cap Value and international are a regular part of my portfolio,
Old 03-23-2020, 05:21 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Same here. I sold real estate last year and couldn't bring myself to put the proceeds in the market at all time highs so decided to wait for a pullback. I was supposed to invest it at s&p 2500, but it dropped so fast I waited. I just bought 100k in spy today at 222.80 hoping to sell it on a pop if stimulus bill passed. I may just keep it, it brings my AA back in line. I still have a substantial amount of cash left to put to work but could definitely see this market go lower.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:32 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

I've dabbled a bit. Picked up some SO for the dividend. It continued to fall. Also bought some VCV, closed end CA bond fund now with a tax free dividend over 5%. Couldn't resist.
Pointby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:18 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Still in cash. I bought some short term quality corporates which rose today, but I don't think prices are low enough in equities. We are getting there though.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:24 PM   #73
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Still in cash. I bought some short term quality corporates which rose today, but I don't think prices are low enough in equities. We are getting there though.

Honestly, you’re last sentence brings me some good feelings. You predicted much of this so early on. I know you’re no magical genius. But dang, you nailed this. So, I’m hoping you’re last sentence is equally prescient.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:52 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
Honestly, you’re last sentence brings me some good feelings. You predicted much of this so early on. I know you’re no magical genius. But dang, you nailed this. So, I’m hoping you’re last sentence is equally prescient.
We are closer to the bottom than we were a month ago!

Actually, what I was thinking was that I had to talk a friend's 80YO mom off the ledge. This is a woman who holds individual equities for decades and I had to browbeat to get her to diversify a giant position in a single stock. If she is thinking about selling, there aren't many sellers left. Now we just need to find the bottom and test it a few times.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:00 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

I am one of those boring old index fund buy-and-holders. I don't market time but I *do* rebalance, every January plus also when things get badly out of whack.

The latter applies.

I just noticed that my AA had gone from the desired 42:58, to 35:65. So, I just forced myself to rebalance by:

(1) selling VBTLX (Total Bond Market), and
(2) buying VTSAX (Total Stock Market) and VWIAX (Wellesley)

I just couldn't bring myself to plow more money into my international fund, VFWAX (FTSE All-World Ex-US Index Fund), which like some other international funds is getting hit pretty hard. If I was perfect I would have put money there too but I am not. Maybe in a few days.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:46 PM   #76

Limit order on BRK.B filled at $164. Got 2x in at $137. Closed at $162 today.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:27 AM   #77

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
The dollar has appreciated a lot against other currencies during this pandemic. Other nations seem to be lapping up the dollars being printed by the Fed. This currency trade on top of the foreign markets really hurts international positions. IMHO, setting up a tilt in international will bounce back a bit bigger than the USA indices - sometime in the future.

Small and medium business don't have the cash reserves or borrowing power like the bigger S&P500 or NASDAQ, so they are hit harder and faster than the big boys. The midcaps indices are suffering. IMHO - if individual states governments keep up quarantine in a few states (like New York and New Jersey) - indices like the Russel 2000 will bounce back more slowly than the big indices - and call ill afford the low interest loans that will be offered.
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:22 AM   #78

I'm buying hotel cumulative preferreds, and CEM. I believe this is all short lived.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:47 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
I'm buying hotel cumulative preferreds, and CEM. I believe this is all short lived.
That's brave [emoji4]. Hopefully you're right.
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:51 AM   #80

Somewhat related- Is there a source for the S&P close each day? Something that I could use as a lookup for charting portfolio performance vs S&P?