Time to buy? What are you buying?

Dash man

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Okay, I decided today to start putting some of my money back to work. This morning I purchased shares of C, CMG, MAR and V.
Is anybody else dipping their toe in and if so, what are you buying?

Okay, I decided today to start putting some of my money back to work. This morning I purchased shares of C, CMG, MAR and V.
Is anybody else dipping their toe in and if so, what are you buying?
I assume you meant this for the Stock Picking forum? I’m just rebalancing adding to my existing AA holdings at month end. I’m an avowed non timer. BTW, the COVID-19 episode isn’t over yet but you believe the market reaction if fully baked in now?

Last edited:
I assume you meant this for the Stock Picking forum? I’m just rebalancing adding to my existing AA holdings at month end. I’m an avowed non timer.

No, it doesn’t have to be individual stocks. I know there are many ETF, Mutual Funds and bond buyers here.

My bond ETFs and mutual funds took a beating too, so I sold them to buy the stocks.

No, it doesn’t have to be individual stocks. I know there are many ETF, Mutual Funds and bond buyers here.

My bond ETFs and mutual funds took a beating too, so I sold them to buy the stocks.
I just assumed the four you listed were individual stocks.

And not looking for a debate, but I am curious why you think now is a good time if you’re willing to share? Don’t know where the markets are going but it seems we’re far from the end of the underlying event(s)?

I just assumed the four you listed were individual stocks.

And not looking for a debate, but I am curious why you think now is a good time?

They are. But I’m asking what others are doing, if anything.

With state after state going to be announcing "shelter at home". This would not be a buying op for me, just going to stay put for now.

Think there will be a glut of commercial property on the market in a few months. Ever had the desire to own a nice motel? I've read the suggestion that many of the folks who thought airBnB places would cover the mortgage and expenses and give a nice cash on cash return are going to be in the hurts as travel stays drop. I'm wondering,morbidly, about how many people are going to tough it out too long and croak it in their homes. Images of mummified little old couples in their little old homes.

They are. But I’m asking what others are doing, if anything.

I unloaded a bunch of ETF's in late February. My AA then was roughly 25/75. I'm sitting on 90% cash (a lot of 3% CD's, a muni bond fund, and two MM funds) and sitting this out until the smoke clears. I am 76 1/2 and DW is 75 with serious health issues.

When all you kind and knowledgeable folks here think it's time to buy, let me know and I will wait another month or so before I make a decision to get back in or not. :)

I'm wondering,morbidly, about how many people are going to tough it out too long and croak it in their homes. Images of mummified little old couples in their little old homes.

I'll tell the kids not to post any pictures of us on FB or that neighborhood site. ;)

Bought 1000 shares of F at $4.11 yesterday, hoping to get a $2k bump over the next couple of weeks. If not, I will just hold for a month or two. Not much in the game, but just "gampling" since my trip to Vegas was cancelled. :D

I have been buying and selling investment grade preferred stocks for the past week. I make a big purchase yesterday in preferred stocks and started to unload them today. I also bought some investment grade short term notes to add to my bond portfolio. I am now 20% cash and 80% bonds and CDs. A lot of the bad headlines that we will see in the coming weeks is already discounted. As long as the volatility drops, people will have more confidence moving forward. The yield curve has normalized for now signally a recover ahead. However, this event will accelerate the demise of many sectors in the market that were already in a bear market like retail and energy and others. The government can't save every business. We are likely to see more of these events in the future so investors will be more cautious moving forward. In the long run, we are going to enter an extended secular bear market with some powerful surges up. Long term I see the 10 year note going to near zero after the effects of the government bailouts end. What other states need to do is what California is doing now. I saw a drone shot of Santa Monica Pier this morning. It was completely empty. While this may be shocking to a lot of people, it was actually encouraging that people are finally listening. A virus spreads by infecting hosts. If there are no hosts, to spread to, it dies out. This is biology 101.

Last edited:
Think there will be a glut of commercial property on the market in a few months. Ever had the desire to own a nice motel? I've read the suggestion that many of the folks who thought airBnB places would cover the mortgage and expenses and give a nice cash on cash return are going to be in the hurts as travel stays drop. I'm wondering,morbidly, about how many people are going to tough it out too long and croak it in their homes. Images of mummified little old couples in their little old homes.

We’re wondering if the three families that booked our Jersey Shore home are going to back out. We have deposits and will return them if asked, but hope they’re still planning on going.

I have been adding to positions in very small increments on the huge down days.

I look for stocks with long secular growth runways that are beaten up, and some div stalwarts.

The market will bottom well before coronavirus fears are gone. Don't know when that will be but my experience when down this much is hold your nose and buy (or rebalance into) equities.

Unless you're an active trader and buying and selling stocks to make short term profits, I just don't understand the wisdom of buying at this moment for the long term. Unless you have a crystal ball or you're attempting to time a bottom, wouldn't it be more wise to wait to see how this coronavirus thing plays out? My gut feel is that even with the government bailouts, we're headed for a big recession or worse, depression. I'm not criticizing your decisions to buy just trying to understand your logic.

I've been adding National Health Investors, Inc. (NHI) REIT
It was 90$ less than a month ago & trading at $40 today.
(no, it didn't split)

Not much, but I put my tax refund (2k) into GEO today. Time will tell if this was a smart decision. Won't break the bank either way.:)

Unless you're an active trader and buying and selling stocks to make short term profits, I just don't understand the wisdom of buying at this moment for the long term. Unless you have a crystal ball or you're attempting to time a bottom, wouldn't it be more wise to wait to see how this coronavirus thing plays out? My gut feel is that even with the government bailouts, we're headed for a big recession or worse, depression. I'm not criticizing your decisions to buy just trying to understand your logic.

I’m 63, so still see long term for half of my portfolio. The market may go down more, but it’s easier to catch a good buy on the way down than it is on the way up, IMO. I expect the market to rise sharply when see the turnaround point in this virus scare. It may not rise back to its former high for a while, but it will rise sharply. Airlines and cruise lines will continue to have a tough road, but some industries are way oversold.

I am not buying anything yet... will let the cash sit. A few months of missing earnings won't amount to a hill of beans compared to what else is going on right now.

This recovery will be slow, in my opinion. No need to try and time the bottom. There will be plenty of time and plenty of signals when the bear market is over. It's only just begun, after all!!:angel:

Were you always Zero stock (not counting preferred)?

I have been in fixed income since 1989. Prior to that I was in equities and got burned too many times by full service brokers in the early to mid 80's. I took matters into my own hands and made an effort to understand business, economics, and financial accounting. Other than some day trades, I really am not too interested in equities other than researching them to see what they offer in terms of bonds.

Even my wife is now interested in buying bargain stocks now :LOL: She is thinking Southwest, P & G, and I am thinking Disney. I think there is more bottom to the market, but who knows. If states start shutting down for 2 months, like California, this is going to be really ugly for a long time.

Even my wife is now interested in buying bargain stocks now :LOL: She is thinking Southwest, P & G, and I am thinking Disney. I think there is more bottom to the market, but who knows. If states start shutting down for 2 months, like California, this is going to be really ugly for a long time.

Just think of the pent up demand! People will be swarming to anything that gets them out of the house!
And I’m going to keep telling myself that!

But I am thinking P & G will crash, because everyone already bought a lifetime's worth of toilet paper :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom