Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Tip construction workers?
Old 06-06-2021, 07:31 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Tip construction workers?

We're replacing our deck. A couple of guys will have worked on it for 3-4 weeks. A couple of other guys joined them later and will spend 10 -15 days helping.
If you tip this kind of labor, how would you come up with an amount?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2021, 07:34 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That's one large deck, I have tipped for construction/labor jobs before and just decide on a cash figure and tip the lead man to share with the rest. I have never gone by a % of the job cost as no one expects a tip of any kind.
Old 06-06-2021, 07:38 AM   #3

I always thought the tip for construction workers was during the construction. Having a cooler with beverages available, all the way up to throwing food on the grill - especially on Friday at the end of the day, goes a long way. If there’s time left, I’d at least make sure to have some beers available on Friday quitting time and/or the last day of the job.
Old 06-06-2021, 08:51 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I always thought the tip for construction workers was during the construction. Having a cooler with beverages available, all the way up to throwing food on the grill - especially on Friday at the end of the day, goes a long way. If there’s time left, I’d at least make sure to have some beers available on Friday quitting time and/or the last day of the job.
That's what my parents did, and I do for general labor, as there is no expectation of money tips (unlike a waiter), and having bottles of ice cold water & pop (mix of diet and regular) is appreciated a huge amount on hot days.

The nice effect is the workers, think of you as "nice" and are more likely to make a better for you choice when comes to some decision.

Giving a tip at the end of a job does nothing to enhance the quality of work you get or make the actual job a little nicer for the workers.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:25 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Last construction job we had was building front and back decks, about 14 years ago. I always made them coffee in the morning and offered cold drinks in the afternoon.
Never considered money for a tip, though.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:39 AM   #6

I do most work myself but 7 years ago when I had my house re roofed (wife wouldn't let me go up to redo it even though I was fine with it) I had coffee and homemade muffins in the morning and went out and bought them subs at lunch. Only cost me $50 or so but I know they really appreciated it and as mentioned they might just do the little extra on your job that you won't notice but helps ensure a better product.
Plus it's just my nature to do that whether it affects the job or not.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:49 AM   #7

I had a Master shower demo & redone last Christmas. I tipped $20-40 for each trade that was in. Plus bakery treats, waters, sports drinks & such. The plumber got me in on short notice. I also tip the handyman when they show up. About the same amount. I want them to answer my call if I need them in the future.
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 11:01 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

We've had a ton of work done on our home. We tip the subs who go out of their way to be nice and do a good job. None of them expects it, and all are grateful. One actually refused the tip, even after I offered it twice.

We don't keep much cash in the house, so it's usually a couple of twenties. Once I tipped 20% to a painter, who was working just for me for cash that day (his boss said it was OK) because I literally never saw anyone work that hard or keep checking to be sure I was pleased. The man had to restrain himself from hugging me, and instead reached for both my hands and held them. Yes, it was after vaccinations...mine, anyway.

If they are just doing their job - or sometimes, in our opinion, a bit less than - they get nothing extra. We are paying the general contractor big bucks.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 11:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Once I tipped 20% to a painter, who was working just for me for cash that day (his boss said it was OK) because I literally never saw anyone work that hard or keep checking to be sure I was pleased. The man had to restrain himself from hugging me, and instead reached for both my hands and held them.
It's nice when you can see that a tip (or other gratuity or generosity) is so sincerely appreciated. Unfortunately, in my experience at least, this tends to be the exception rather than the rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
If they are just doing their job - or sometimes, in our opinion, a bit less than - they get nothing extra.
+1
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 01:57 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

In Florida, it's downright inhumane not to offer water to people working on your home. The climate snatches the water right out of your pores even when you're not doing physical labor.

Often they refuse, saying there's a cooler in their truck. Other times, though, cold refreshment is gratefully accepted.

Where we live, the choice of contractors isn't that wide. Being kind to the good ones could come back to help you later. I have had a couple of them give us their phone numbers, saying "If you need any help...." Of course the one time I did call, the person's mailbox was full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
That's what my parents did, and I do for general labor, as there is no expectation of money tips (unlike a waiter), and having bottles of ice cold water & pop (mix of diet and regular) is appreciated a huge amount on hot days.

The nice effect is the workers, think of you as "nice" and are more likely to make a better for you choice when comes to some decision.

Giving a tip at the end of a job does nothing to enhance the quality of work you get or make the actual job a little nicer for the workers.
Old 06-06-2021, 05:14 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

When we had people landscaping our backyard on weekends I cooked a nice lunch for everyone. Had cold drinks all day long and ice cream bars for a afternoon snack.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 06:38 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

When I hired a landscape crew for a full day to trim trees on our previous (huge ) property, I brought out hot coffee and homemade cookies for them when they started taking breaks.

I think it was a mistake, frankly, to have gotten familiar with them early on. They snickered and talked to me like a @#!* waitress, sending me back for refills etc. And they got lazier and lazier as the day wore on. It was not a good experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
When we had people landscaping our backyard on weekends I cooked a nice lunch for everyone. Had cold drinks all day long and ice cream bars for a afternoon snack.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:51 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

We used day laborers that were desperate for work and appreciated a good meal. They also knew if they worked hard we would tip at the end of the weekend and use them the next weekend. We had a fourth of a acre that was a mess when we bought the house so it wasn’t a regular landscape crew.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:23 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I do most things myself but on the few occasions when I've had to hire a trade I don't tip them because they already make plenty of money. But I do make the job easier for them by giving them a clean and clear workspace and by doing some of the grunt work beforehand and doing some of the finish work.

For example if I hire a plumber to replace a shower valve I'll remove the tile and cement board in advance, buy the valve, and replace the cement board and tile after the job. The plumber only has to install the new valve and avoids most of the messy parts. His "tip" is a fast and easy job. I think that goes a lot further than slipping them a $20.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:39 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

That's great if you know just what to do. I'm sure they appreciate being able to move along faster to the next job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I do most things myself but on the few occasions when I've had to hire a trade I don't tip them because they already make plenty of money. But I do make the job easier for them by giving them a clean and clear workspace and by doing some of the grunt work beforehand and doing some of the finish work.