Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-16-2008, 03:50 PM   #21
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post
I'm still using my $300 TV bought at Wal-Mart over 10 years ago...
and will only buy a new one when it stops working.

This type of frugal lifestyle is one of the reasons I was able to retire
at age 55.

~
Still watching the TV(I think it's a 20") I bought new 19 years ago. One of the first things I brought home in my new car; replaced the car last year.

When it dies, I'll watch on the laptop.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2008, 04:26 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

ProspectiveBum said:
"A few things to consider:
2. Flat-panel LCD TVs can have a noticeable blur when showing fast action. If you watch a lot of sports or action movies, this can be an issue. Be sure to watch some of this type of programming on the set you want to buy BEFORE you buy it."

We bought a Samsung LCD. The blur is not an issue; it's been tuned out. Had a 35 inch Toshiba CRT and got 15 years out of it. The tube was dimming a tiny bit and that, combined with my degrading visual acuity ( and the DW's), led to the high def. Gave the Toshiba to my daughter which was an upgrade for her (no cable; too busy to veg in front of the tube). Now we can again see the tennis ball as we watch a lot of matches and the small box scores they put in the corner of the screen for NBA, NFL, MLB. Movies are awesome. What a waste of high def as to the local (tabloid) news and schlock. We don't live in front of the TV but it's a change akin to b & w vs. color (showing my age).
windsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:29 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Buy!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:38 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Is the current 32" a crt?

Just remember, a 42" widescreen may not be bigger (in height) than a 32" SD (I'm too lazy to look it up or do the math).

What about the old tv is 'obsolete'? Newer stuff does not 'obsolete' the old,. Only changes that make the old unusable or impractical to use make it obsolete.

It's a personal decision - does the new have something you value that the old doesn't? Is it worth the $ versus anything else? But to buy just because there is newer stuff - well that'll make it tough to FIRE, if that is your goal.

-ERD50

PS - they will be cheaper and better next year.
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:27 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

at age 55.

~

Amen
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:10 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
Amen

how frugal is too frugal it makes my heart break to cough up a couple grand for the new looks... yes, i do believe i am paying for a new look, more or less. It is like someone paying $18,000.00 more for a BMW than a honda accord, just for the "looks"..

well, anyway i like to get some "action" at nite every now and then, more important keeping the marriage alive and eventually broke down and BUY, just kind of dragging my feet.....

btw, anyone object to walmart flat screen tv
Enuff2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:12 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

check out the vizeo brand at costco

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:25 AM   #28

We bought one about a year ago, because DW wanted it. Me? I could care less about TV. DW has been home in the States for the last three weeks, and I'm here in Asia working...haven't turned it on once since she left. This board is much more interesting. If you are asking "what Rambler would do", I would say don't buy it...unless keeping marital accord is more important to you than a couple thousand bucks (our Aquos was nearly 4 grand at the time). Do I enjoy it? Yes, I enjoy it when DW turns it on, but I would have enjoyed other things (like 4k in the portfolio) more, but I do value my marraige and my DW.

Good luck deciding this one...

R
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:19 AM   #29

So you don't want it but your wife does. Does she have a birthday coming up any time soon?

Actually, is this an isolated incident, or is this a particular example of her wanting to keep up with the proverbial Joneses? I'd be more likely to capitulate on a one-time thing, but if there's a deeper issue going on here, well, that might need to be ironed out. And now might not be a bad time for that.
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:26 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

at age 55.

~
I live a frugal lifestyle, retired at 48(now 55) and still managed to buy a 42in flat screen 2 years ago when I had a perfectly good TV,which I passed down to the kids.I feel you have to live a little,even while being frugal.

I do not want to turn into my 79 year old neighbor. He can not spend anything on himself or his wife, even having close to 1 million in assets.I went to help him with his VCR because they just upgraded 2 months ago to basic cable from rabbit ears at his wife's insistence(she wants fox news).The VCR was given to him 20 plus years ago and only gets 2-13 and they tried to record channel 21.I told him he would need to get a new one with a tuner that goes higher.
He will not spend the 100 bucks or less.
Sad thing is his health issues lean towards colon cancer, and he still will not spend anything. His kids,who he complains about spending too much, will enjoy his money when he is gone.
Dave J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:00 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
So you don't want it but your wife does. Does she have a birthday coming up any time soon?

Actually, is this an isolated incident, or is this a particular example of her wanting to keep up with the proverbial Joneses? I'd be more likely to capitulate on a one-time thing, but if there's a deeper issue going on here, well, that might need to be ironed out. And now might not be a bad time for that.
My thoughts exactly... if it seems like this is just another step in upgrading and buying new stuff, it may be a chance to stick your sword in the sand. If it is a one-time deal, however, it is perfectly fine if it makes both of you happy, just don't make it a common occurence or you may start pushing your ER back one year at a time
CitricAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:02 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitricAcid View Post
My thoughts exactly... if it seems like this is just another step in upgrading and buying new stuff, it may be a chance to stick your sword in the sand.
But if the money argument gets too severe, she won't be letting you stick your sword anywhere for a while.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:08 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
But if the money argument gets too severe, she won't be letting you stick your sword anywhere for a while.
There are tradeoffs, hmmmm... you could use some of the money you saved and go down to the Red Light District
CitricAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:15 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitricAcid View Post
There are tradeoffs, hmmmm... you could use some of the money you saved and go down to the Red Light District
Hmm, big screen or when you get caught, big scream!!!
Old 07-17-2008, 07:27 AM   #35
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuff2Eat View Post

Can i repeat my question one more time

to Buy or not to Buy.

How many members here already dumped their old TV for a flat screen, just because u want to??
I will admit, I like to upgrade to new gadgets, but only when I need to. I have had the same television for about ten years, and the only reason I may get an upgraded one is because a family member wants to upgrade theirs to a larger model.
So to answer, I would say buy... but can you wait until Black Friday when prices will be really low?
Jessica08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:35 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

If you're not planning to upgrade to HD, I would save your money. As ProspectiveBum pointed out, Standard Definition will look noticeably worse on your flat panel than on your tube TV.

BUT, if you watch much TV and upgrade to HD service, OMG what a difference in viewing experience! I LOVE my 46" LCD with HD! It was expensive, but absolutely worth the $ I spent.
Zantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:08 AM   #37

who said existing in "Peace and Harmony" is FREE?? Are you guys saying to buy peace, it will cost me $2000-$3000 in this case This is the second time Peace have cost me money. The last time to make "peace" with the neighbor costed me a $4000 fence so we don't have to see them...
Enuff2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:53 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuff2Eat View Post
We have an entertainment center in the living room with a big and bulky old style 32" TV Toshiba in it. DW says why don't we get rid of it and get the flat screen TV like everyone else, it's so "dirt" cheap.

My mentor said "don't fix anything that is NOT broken". In this case, nothing is broken but... obsolete and old. It's like upgrade your cell phone when there is nothing wrong with the old one.

The new cheap cabinet $300, a new TV 42" is another $1300, don't forget i might needs fancy cables, and other media storage for the dvd players, dvd movies and music, another $300...

to Buy or Not to Buy

Enuff
It would be helpful if we knew you total debt and income. Then we could make a better call.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:23 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought a beautiful 50" plasma HDTV about a 1.5 years ago, but I have never actually watched TV on it. I just could not bring myself to pay for cable TV, and I knew I would just waste time channel surfing anyway. Instead, we rent DVDs (mostly through Netflix). It works out pretty well for us.

Unfortunately I must admit I do wish I had waited until now to buy. If I had bought the same TV today I could probably pay $1,000 - $1,500 less. Can you believe I paid about $2,400? And that was a bargain -- it was a display model. What can I say? I'm just not that frugal sometimes!
SLC Tortfeasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:59 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Tortfeasor View Post
I bought a beautiful 50" plasma HDTV about a 1.5 years ago, but I have never actually watched TV on it. I just could not bring myself to pay for cable TV
Now that is funny!!!I thought I was frugal, but I don't hold a candle to some other folks.