Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

To those already retired
Old 02-27-2009, 12:19 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

To those already retired

Is your net worth today higher or lower than the day you ER'd?
Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2009, 12:52 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I wonder where you're going with this question......

Folks who are worth more today than when they ER'd will no doubt have some special circumstance such as pensions that cover all expenses, investments that are completely avoiding the current downturn, inheritance, insurance or legal award, etc.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:36 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Adjusted for Inflation or unadjusted? If adjusted for inflation a link to your desired calculator would be nice and keep responses level. Also be nice to specify what Net Worth IYO is, since we have never been able to get beyond "it depends"!
Old 02-27-2009, 03:57 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would think the vast majority of Americans whether ER'd, Retired or still working would have a lower net worth today than they did in the last few years. Given the severe decline in real estate and equities most averyone has been affected. I think for most the question today is how much is enough, not how much.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:33 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida View Post
Bill Gates Net Worth.jpg
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:34 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
Also be nice to specify what Net Worth IYO is, since we have never been able to get beyond "it depends"!
self-worth.jpg
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:09 AM   #7

A little less, but not by much. We bought the house before the big run-up in prices, and it's still worth (I think) more than what we paid for it in constant dollars. With inflation, it's probably - that could be wishful thinking - still gained a little bit but not much. At worst I am certain we could sell for what we paid.

The job I started last summer has just about paid enough to recoup the losses in other accounts and will certainly do so in a few more months.

But we do have a COLA'd pension. So roughly the NW is the same as at retirement.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:15 AM   #8

I retired October, 2007. What do you think?
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:19 AM   #9

1% less than several years ago. That shows you how conservative I've been. A lot of my income is pension based, and I moved the bulk of my funds into CDs and other fixed income investments averaging around 5%, so my stock holdings were responsible for burning through those 5% gains.

Feels pretty good right now, but didn't feel so good when everyone else was making double digit yearly gains and I was sitting on my CDs.

Oh, that doesn't include home equity, since I didn't count that on the way up, nor am I counting it on the way down. Still well above water on my two homes, but my home equity is down maybe 30-40% from the peak, along with most everyone else.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:26 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Unless your 100% cd's, your more than likely down. I'm not 100% cd's.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:55 AM   #11

I retired in Oct 2006, and keep 100% in individual stocks, so my net worth is substantially lower.

However, my dividend income (which is what I live on), is up over 20% (PG $1.24 -> $1.60, KO $1.24 -> $1.64, JNJ $1.50 -> $1.84, MMM $1.84 -> $2.04, SYY $0.68 -> $0.96, EMR $1.05 -> $1.32, etc). These dividends look secure to me unless economic conditions get substantially worse, so the drop in market prices is pretty much irrelevent to me. The slowdown in profit growth is unwelcome, because dividend increases will be smaller (or even skipped) this year, but recessions are an expected part of the economic cycle.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post
I retired October, 2007. What do you think?
OK, as I understand the market history, that *beats* my March 08 retirement. Oct 07 was, AFAIK, the market peak.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:03 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

DH will have to get back to you on that after the market closes today as this is his first day of retirement.....
Old 02-27-2009, 09:14 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

DH will have to get back to you on that after the market closes today as this is his first day of retirement.....
What is he going to do all day?
Old 02-27-2009, 09:15 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired June 2008 so do the math. My best move was quickly getting my lump sum pension off of the sidelines and into the Market. I mean, man, the market had dropped from 14K to 11.5K; are you kidding me! How much lower could it possibly go ...

t.r.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:22 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
What is he going to do all day?

Ooooh, I don't know!

Around 7 a.m. he poked me in the side and said "hehehe....I'm retired....hehehe." I said "yes you are, now go back to sleep."

He left a little while ago on his bike...I swear I saw him dance a jig as he went to the garage......
Old 02-27-2009, 09:24 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida View Post

I guess I've just rearranged the deck chairs on the Titanic. While my IRA and cash assets are lower my home is modestly higher and I will start SS at the end of the year. So I guess I'm better off than I was 9 years ago although it does not feel like it.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:32 AM   #18

Retired August 2006....worth 25% less. It hurts, but life (and retirement) goes on. I don't expect to be back at the original level for at least seven more years---and that's only with saving 2/3 or more of my retirement income....
Old 02-27-2009, 09:41 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post

Folks who are worth more today than when they ER'd will no doubt have some special circumstance such as pensions that cover all expenses, investments that are completely avoiding the current downturn, inheritance, insurance or legal award, etc.
Yes, it seems this question needs explanation. Since the market hasn't closed yet today, I don't have the exact number. When I retired at the end of August '08 most of the damage in the downturn had already happened; I only look at the number I had that day. About 55% of my expenses come from my PF. At the end of the year it was higher than the original amount and basically jumps around each month, usually lower but no more than 4% lower, yet. BTW, I'm withdrawing at the 4% SWR.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:28 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I retired March 2008, and with a 60% equities/40% bonds portfolio, I'm down 28%.

It's almost rebalancing time, so soon I'll be putting more cash in the shredder...
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote