Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Tomorrows market?
Old 07-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Tomorrows market?

With the recent downturn of the market, along with an uncertain future, what do you plan to do with your portfolio tomorrow? Futures call for another significant down day on Monday, July 7.

At 55, and desperatly wanting to ER, I'm considering pulling out of the market and going to cd's for a while.

your thoughts?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2008, 12:02 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The future of the market is always uncertain, that's nothing new. Also, the market has "downturns" on a regular basis, that's nothing new either. I don't see a reason to do anything different tommorow.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:07 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentley View Post
With the recent downturn of the market, along with an uncertain future, what do you plan to do with your portfolio tomorrow?
your thoughts?
Umm... Ignore it for a few days, then maybe look.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:09 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentley View Post
With the recent downturn of the market, along with an uncertain future, what do you plan to do with your portfolio tomorrow? Futures call for another significant down day on Monday, July 7.

At 55, and desperatly wanting to ER, I'm considering pulling out of the market and going to cd's for a while.

your thoughts?
The last thing I would want to do in a bear market is sell. Remember? "Buy low, sell high" seems to work better than the reverse.

If the Dow drops below 11,000 tomorrow I might buy. Otherwise I'll probably sit tight.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 07-06-2008, 12:20 PM   #5

Listen to JustCurious amd W2R. The absolute worst thing you can do is try to time the markets. Read any of the good investing books and the message is universal - in times of bad markets those who do nothing fair much better long term then those who try to time out and then back in again. If you feel your AA is wrong and therefore too risky then figure out where it needs to be and start working towards that with new money and redirected dividends/capital gains etc.

DD
Old 07-06-2008, 12:21 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDoc View Post
Listen to JustCurious amd W2R. The absolute worst thing you can do is try to time the markets. Read any of the good investing books and the message is universal - in times of bad markets those who do nothing fair much better long term then those who try to time out and then back in again. If you feel your AA is wrong and therefore too risky then figure out where it needs to be and start working towards that with new money and redirected dividends/capital gains etc.
Careful. Some people will see that as "starry-eyed optimism"...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 07-06-2008, 12:25 PM   #7

Buying tomorrow DCA Otherwise doing nothing. Last week did move a bit from fixed to the SP 500 Index.

I know. Im a fool. The world is probably going to end and only annuities,gold,oil,guns,water and food are the smart bets
Old 07-06-2008, 12:27 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
That could happen!! But...
Quote:
When the skies are brighter canary yellow
I forget ev'ry cloud I've ever seen,
So they called me a cockeyed optimist
Immature and incurably green.

I have heard people rant and rave and bellow
That we're done and we might as well be dead,
But I'm only a cockeyed optimist
And I can't get it into my head.
I'd rather be a starry-eyed optimist, than a gloomy gus who never realizes that the market goes both up and down.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 07-06-2008, 12:32 PM   #9

if you think your smart enough to know when to dump your equities, why didn't you do it last fall?
Old 07-06-2008, 12:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I sure hope not! Given that I'm an active accumulator I would (secretly) like to see a further 10-20% decline . At that point I would seriously consider timing the market and invest my E fund and current bonds into equities .

DD
Old 07-06-2008, 12:52 PM   #11

Nothing tommorrow, but as I get some more money I plan to continue investing as I have been.
Hopefully all week people will panic and sell, so at the start of next week I will get even bigger bargains
Old 07-06-2008, 01:14 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

If the market drops below 11,000 tomorrow I will sell a chunk of my Bear fund and reinvest the proceeds in VTSMX. This week we will be adding money to my wife's 401K and ESPP, my IRA and our taxable account (scheduled contributions). So we'll be buyers no matter what.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:28 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm sitting on my hands to keep from liquidating even though I know it would be absolutely the wrong thing to do. I did have to change future contributions for dh to some kind of treasury money market fund, else he wanted to stop all 401K contributions from his payroll and use the money to pay down the mortgage. It's scary times. I guess it just pays not to look some days!
Old 07-06-2008, 01:54 PM   #14

I'm going to take the day off from work and have a nice breakfast
Old 07-06-2008, 01:57 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Probably nothing.

The automated 401k and after tax investments will be invested as scheduled.

I have about 5% cash and 20% bonds. Last week I moved some cash to equities although it wasn't really enough to make much difference (<1% of investments.) If the market goes down more this week I may move some more to equities.

History suggests that is the best course of action although it could be different this time

MB
Old 07-06-2008, 03:06 PM   #16

Likely watch the market drop another 1.5+% and curse myself for not having bailed back on May 2. At this point, it is too late and we get to suffer the consequences.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:18 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm buying tomorrow, as already stated buy low sell high.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:23 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
I'm buying tomorrow, as already stated buy low sell high.
What if tomorrow is the high?
Old 07-06-2008, 03:27 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
Likely watch the market drop another 1.5+% and curse myself for not having bailed back on May 2. At this point, it is too late and we get to suffer the consequences.
The doom and gloomer's are predicting another 20% drop.

Last October, they were predicting a dow of 15 by year end '07....lol
Old 07-06-2008, 03:29 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
What if tomorrow is the high?
the high as compared to what?
the dow hit 14,000 going up less than a year ago. It's knocking on 11,000 heading down now.
The 64 dollar question is what low is built into todays dow?
The market is usually priced out 3 to 6 months...until bad news arrives, which is about all we've heard the last six months, and no relief in sight.
Closed Thread