Tony Robbins is in Financial Planning Industry

gcgang

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Tony Robbins joins advisory firm as chief of investor psychology

Tony is Chief of Investor Psychology, advising FAs on understanding how client emotions affect investment behavior.

He wants to educate the public about what fees they pay, and understand FA conflicts of interest.

If this really helps FAs help people overcome emotional errors, he's providing a valuable service.

When I read the second sentence and saw that his book was 600 pages, I knew it was a "baffle them with BS" exercise. Most 100 page financial books are 75% fluff. I can't imagine what you would fill 600 pages with.

When I read the second sentence and saw that his book was 600 pages, I knew it was a "baffle them with BS" exercise. Most 100 page financial books are 75% fluff. I can't imagine what you would fill 600 pages with.
A whole lot of Tony, most likely :D

I read the (whole) book when it came out and had much the same reaction as the book reviewer above at Market Watch, that this is a famous person writing about something that is not his forte. His All Weather Portfolio includes gold and is based on back-testing, which lost me right there.

I read his book, it is too long but it is actually rock solid. I suspect the people making negative comments haven't read his book.

Yes, it is 600 pages and should have been 200 pages, but the advice in the book is quality.

Market Watch debunks Tony's book
It is always good to have a balance and Tony is so over the top, that this one has good balance.

I am not sure I would take the opinion of a financial adviser that depends on high fees for his income as balanced.

Tony harps throughout the book against paying high fees. He advocates for ultra low cost ETF's, changing from a consumer to an investor (spending less, saving more), minimizing taxes, doing the math to find out what nest egg you need to support yourself in retirement, the importance of asset allocation, portfolio rebalancing, dollar cost averaging.

I fail to see the bad advice.

Tony harps throughout the book against paying high fees.

From the book review linked above:

He regularly demonizes high fees, but goes on to recommend working with firms like Lifetime Income and Stronghold Financial. I called Lifetime Income to inquire about its products, and someone referred me to a California partner, who informed me that the fee structure starts at 1.5% and is often higher depending on the product. So the book promotes a low-fee approach, yet it recommends working with companies that will outsource you to high-fee firms.
If the above quote is factual, I don't see any good advice here.

At least if (when?) the FAs screw over their customers Tony can make them walk through fire a few times.

lol,
Understanding seven simple steps takes 600 pages:confused:

I do agree with the reviewer with some things. we (society as a whole) are woefully ill prepared when it comes to financial issues so the more we talk about it the better.

I am not sure I would take the opinion of a financial adviser that depends on high fees for his income as balanced.

Tony harps throughout the book against paying high fees. He advocates for ultra low cost ETF's, changing from a consumer to an investor (spending less, saving more), minimizing taxes, doing the math to find out what nest egg you need to support yourself in retirement, the importance of asset allocation, portfolio rebalancing, dollar cost averaging.

Depends on how you define "Bad"

I think most folks would view recommending a firm that charges 1.5% and up in fees for financial products as "bad advice"

I totally admit that I have not read the book and have no plans on reading it.

From the book review linked above:

If the above quote is factual, I don't see any good advice here.

No need to read the book. Take the advice of someone that is fully vested in generating high fees for himself (the author of the opinion article).

Depends on how you define "Bad"

I think most folks would view recommending a firm that charges 1.5% and up in fees for financial products as "bad advice"

I totally admit that I have not read the book and have no plans on reading it.

I believe he is talking about IF you want to buy an annuity (I am not positive about that). He is definitely not recommending you pay 1.5% for all financial products.

But again, take the opinion of a financial adviser that makes his living based on high fees. That won't work well in the long run.

I believe he is talking about IF you want to buy an annuity (I am not positive about that). He is definitely not recommending you pay 1.5% for all financial products.

But again, take the opinion of a financial adviser that makes his living based on high fees. That won't work well in the long run.

It's not an "either/or" option. I can equally dismiss Tony Robbins shrill as well as a financial advisers.

Just because ole Tony claims he is a "life coach" doesn't make his advice one that will work well either.

I saw him on TV a few days ago spouting his current prose about high investment fees and behavioral finance matters. Sounds like the same guy that I recall hearing 30 years ago, just a new client base.

I can say this, that guy surely knows how to earn a buck.

I can say this, that guy surely knows how to earn a buck.

+1.

I've never been one for self help/life coach stuff... so in general, not a fan. In fact, the term "snake oil salesman" comes to mind. Of course he has some reasonable points in his book - that gives it a gleam of legitimacy... which helps sell the book.

Obviously nobody here needs this advice. Figure it out for yourself.

I tried reading it a few months ago...it was a bore and seemed to be very self-promoting (no surprise for Tony). Most of the information he spoke about can be found in shorter (more concise) financial planning books.

Geez....expanding his market with the onset of boomers retiring or hoping to retire. Easy money....what a con.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

As with Dave Ramsey, Tony Robbins has some good advice for the clueless, but there’s not a lot of cluelessness on this Board. I’d even venture to say that financial advisors raking off 1.5% can be a good thing for someone who might otherwise be jumping into markets at the top and selling at the bottom. (Let me tell you about my friend whose husband the doctor was buying on margin and didn’t tell her till half their retirement savings disappeared in the dotcom bust. I’m sure she would have given up 1.5% a year to avoid that insanity.)

We have one of those motivational, “Take charge of your own life, Live Your Dreams, Do what You’re Passionate About…” conferences in our area every year. Tony Robbins is usually one of the featured speakers, along with similar people who get the crowd fired up and then release them to an exhibition hall full of people waiting to sell them on franchises, house flipping and other business opportunities. Now that I’m retired, I wonder about going to one just for its amusement value.

Tony Robbins

I actually read the book and thought it was very good.Tony is smart because he gets advice from people smarter than him- in the book he interviewed Icahn, Dalio, Bogle,Swensen,Pickens, Schwab , Templeton,and others. These investors know more than I do, and they certainly know more than people who criticize a book without reading it.Robbins grew up poor and pulled himself up by his own bootstraps, and he tries to surround himself with successful people.Read the book because you may learn something.

Back
Top Bottom