Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-12-2008, 03:54 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I remember the name "H*O*C*U*S"! What happened to him? Why couldn't I write his name regular? Did I miss something?
shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2008, 06:12 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am not sure of the connection between Rob and H O C U S. I just know they share similar nutty withdrawal strategies.

Clif
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:17 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I am not sure of the connection between Rob and H O C U S. I just know they share similar nutty withdrawal strategies.

Clif
When Rob Bennett and "the name which cannot be spelled" look in the mirror each morning, they see each other. OK, maybe only when their hallucinations are under control...
Old 06-12-2008, 07:42 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I go through so many websites in a week that I actually categorize them among "local", "national", "daily", and "weekly". And I read a lot of print media, to.

Many times I'll read a book or an article and think "Wow, great stuff!" Then I'll spend time on their blog (Philip Greenspun, Scott Berkun) and find out that they're much better in a book or an article. Or their blogs will just be an endless series of cryptic links (Dave Barry) when what I really want to do is read their own writings. Or they'll go off on some tangent (Scott Adams) and take weeks to return to the reasons I started reading them in the first place.

No way would I be able to add more blogs to my daily routine, and I don't want to have to wade through acres of swampland seeking yet another guru or linker. I find that the best way to stay up on the topics I care about is to put keywords into Google Alerts and sort through the daily half-dozen e-mails.

Otherwise I'd be spending entire days sitting here...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:50 AM   #25
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi Folks.

I found this ER Forum by looking for info on The Oxford Club. But I got sent to a thread that was 2 years old. I enjoyed the wit of the writers on that thread so I looked for posts by some of those folks.

That brought me to this thread.

I am pretty much a novice investor and have hired a financial advisor to do it for me.
I pay a pretty penny for his help but sometimes wonder if I'm getting my money's worth.

Do you guys have any words of wisdom about how I can fairly evaluate his work (results).

Also, I'd love to have more knowledge and maybe do some smaller investing on my own. Any help for a novice in terms of getting prepared to do this would be appreciated. Jo
FreeForm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:09 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Because I am Canadian and spend half a year in Mexico, I look for a quick synopsis of US happenings (30% of portfolio on average). Also I am not an index investor except for offshore. Still have not found the perfect balance.

I have been cured of the talking head syndrone though...
Old 06-14-2008, 09:52 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeForm View Post
Hi Folks.

I found this ER Forum by looking for info on The Oxford Club. But I got sent to a thread that was 2 years old. I enjoyed the wit of the writers on that thread so I looked for posts by some of those folks.

That brought me to this thread.

I am pretty much a novice investor and have hired a financial advisor to do it for me.
I pay a pretty penny for his help but sometimes wonder if I'm getting my money's worth.

Do you guys have any words of wisdom about how I can fairly evaluate his work (results).

Also, I'd love to have more knowledge and maybe do some smaller investing on my own. Any help for a novice in terms of getting prepared to do this would be appreciated. Jo

Do some searching through this site for recommended books. Read them all. Follow with intelligent questions to this Forum. Then assess your FA. If you read and understand the books you will probably not need him.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:21 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xynny View Post
I write for Wise Bread so I have to endorse it too. Here's my site & shameless promotion:

Xin Lu's blog | Wise Bread
In case, anybody missed it. Xin Lu posted a terrific article yesterday. A perfect example of why I recommended Wise Bread as a most useful Financial Blog. (shameless promotion? I have no connection to Wise Bread other than as a reader.)

Chinese Proverbs About Money and Personal Finance | Wise Bread
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:06 PM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hey thanks for the link! Glad you liked my article
xynny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:15 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
DRiP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote