Join Early Retirement Today

Top S&P beaters going down in flames
Old 12-29-2006, 10:11 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Top S&P beaters going down in flames

Both Bill Miller's LM Value Fund and Manu Daftary's Quaker SG fund are not going to beat the S&P 500 this year. There are 11 funds waiting in the wings that have beaten the S&P 500 over the last 7 years. Which one will claim Miller's post at the top of the heap?

This only demonstrates how difficult it is for managed funds to have a total return, year after year, that is superior to the index.

Quote:
"Successful money management takes a combination of skill and luck," John Bogle, founder of the Vanguard Group, said. "In Miller's case, this is a year when he's run into more than his fair share of bad luck."
The Legg Mason manager's recent under-performance won't blemish an otherwise stellar long-term record, he added. "I admire his long-term focus and willingness to go against the crowd," Bogle said. "Bill's the real deal who brings a lot to the table."
http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Stor...&dist=nwhfunds

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Top S&P beaters going down in flames
Old 12-29-2006, 10:49 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you took 100 monkeys and had them flip a coin ten times in a row, a few of the monkeys would flip ten head or ten tails in a row. When a monkey does it, we call it "luck". When a mutual fund manager does it we call it "skill".
Old 12-29-2006, 11:34 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

When I read:

Both Bill Miller's LM Value Fund and Manu Daftary's Quaker SG fund are not going to beat the S&P 500 this year...........

I figured they lagged by a few per cent, but the underperformance is close to 10%!
Old 12-29-2006, 12:21 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash
When I read:

Both Bill Miller's LM Value Fund and Manu Daftary's Quaker SG fund are not going to beat the S&P 500 this year...........

I figured they lagged by a few per cent, but the underperformance is close to 10%!
That's fine. There are some good active managers out there. The problem is that most fund managers want to create alpha AND have a low tracking error which is how you wind up with closet index funds.

A large underperformance from somebody with a history of alpha generation means that they made their bets and they were wrong, but at least they believe in their management. Most of the good active funds don't beat their index every year, that is just an unrealistic expectation.

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:31 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When a mutual fund manager does it we call it "skill". laugh
Wouldn't it be nice to be paid as much as they are to throw those darts at the wall? :P
Old 12-29-2006, 12:31 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
A large underperformance from somebody with a history of alpha generation means that they made their bets and they were wrong, but at least they believe in their management. Most of the good active funds don't beat their index every year, that is just an unrealistic expectation.
I think Tweedy claims that active managers, in aggregate, only manage to beat their index in two out of three years. Even worse, underperformance can last as long as three years...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote