Total Years of Work

Full-time work:

4 years as a lab tech
31 years as an engineer

I also worked part-time during high school, college, and grad school and full-time every summer - a total period of about 10 years. Equivalent to 3 years full-time. So total is 35 to 38 years depending on how you calculate it. I'm ready for retirement!

My first SS earnings were in 1970 and last in 2012.

I worked part-time for the family business in high school. Did not work my first semester in college, but worked from second semester through graduation... and about 20 hours a week during the school year from the end of my freshman year on.

After graduation I had about 6 weeks off and started my career in mid June 1977 and retired at the end of 2011 (but stayed on payroll for the first month of 2012) with no breaks in between other than vacation time and 2-3 weeks between jobs. I was 50-80% part-time from mid 2004 to the end of 2011.

So all-in-all roughly 37 years of work over a 42 year period.

Last edited:
Not counting the high school and college jobs, I've been at this for 20 years since I graduated. Probably going to be at it for 10 more, which would make me 53 when I retire.

My work started when I was swimming for the egg. Kicked those other guys' butts, too.

Last edited:
I've been working around 15 years full time as a professional. My guess is that I will need to work another 5 more years before I can retire.

27 years for me in April, when I retire at 49.
My wife worked for 7 years before our son was born.
= 34 years total

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Work or job? First part time job when I was 16, so Social Security payments for 27 years. However, growing up on a farm with 5 siblings, its hard to define "work" as I was working since 3rd grade, just not getting paid. You don't get an allowance and your chores are most people's full time jobs. You get a JOB so you can avoid chores :) Jobs are easy, they involved far less work than being home and helping on the farm.

Retired at 49 in 2012 after 27 years of full-time work.

Started delivering newspapers in 1968 and will retire from my full-time career later this year. If you include all of that, then 48 years.

Earned enough working after school to pay FICA starting in 1973. If you include that, then 42 years.

Started working full-time in my career in 1979. If you include just that, then 37 years.

Last edited:
33 Years continuous full time after graduating college at age 22.

College was 6 months at college, 6 months full time work over 4 years so really another 2 years full time.

First SS wages (full time) were in 1962 right out of trade school.

1964 - 1968 were 4 years active duty in the U'S. Air Force with 2 of those with combat activity in a "foreign land":(. So I count all 4 a "working" (2 pretty hard mind you!).

The 4 years of collage where I screwed around with part time jobs so those really don't count as "working". (degree in 1973, then full time job)

Then off to the races until 1998 working full time and then starting my own business (Sub S Corp) until last year (2015).

Adding all this up I get 7 + 39 = 46 years.

Not counting the part time jobs while in school and college, 22 years of full time work. In ER, I now work about 4 hours a month, for <10% of my annual expenditure, but it's barely worth counting.

So, in effect, 22 years of full-time before hanging up my hat. Wish it had been a bit more, so that my stash could have been bigger, but I do value all the free time.

40 years for my husband and 34 for me. Total 74 years, not counting paid internships, part time work in college and summer jobs in high school.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Started work part time at 14. Joined the military at 16 (reserves) and worked while going to school and in the summers. Graduated at 23. Retired at 60.

According to my SS record it was 33 years. That doesn't count work-study during college and some cash jobs in my youth. Now that just has to pay for a 50 year retirement!

Full time wasn't until 1972 but there were periods of full time over the summer months in HS and College. Part time during the school year. Before that it was mowing lawns, shoveling snow and the like when it was available. Taking out a few years while retired and then working again, 38 years full time work.

40 years full time and 3 years as a consultant at 20 hours per week.

Last edited:
I'm at 35 not counting some summers with 1 to go. DW had 18 (for pay) and is done.

Back
Top Bottom