Tough Qtr - Who Lost the Most/Least on pure returns?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm not worried in the least, comes with the territory if you're in for the long term.

We lost 8.4% in Q2 on pure returns (excluding deposits, withdrawals, etc. - which wouldn't provide a meaningful comparison).

I assume some did better, some did worse. :blush: Those with less risk did better as always...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 9.15.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 9.15.16 AM.png
    510.1 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
No idea; down ~ 3% on the year for what that matters. I don't normally follow historical results.

edit - that 3% is since the end of 2020 which was the last time I saved any history. No idea where we are YTD or QTD

Last edited:
YTD 6/30 I was up 0.12%. Energy investments offset other. It was higher through the year, but softness in energy brought the numbers down.

YTD 6/30 I was up 0.12%. Energy investments offset other. It was higher through the year, but softness in energy brought the numbers down.

You are going to give everyone an inferiority complex:D

You are going to give everyone an inferiority complex:D

Depends. My VG energy fund is up 1/2% over the last 10 years. My Total Stock Market Fund is up 12 1/2% over the last 10 years. Even my bond funds are ahead of Energy.

As of today I'm up 3.8%.

There's another poster who I don't recall his name who fared better than me.

That's YTD numbers.

Quicken says -50.21%, but thankfully that's annualized. It appears to be about 16ish% for the quarter. I'm essentially 98% VTSAX. What's my prize?

Prize? You can use the remaining 2% to buy more VTSAX at a reduced price! :D

Heh, I probably should do so. My spreadsheet dashboard is telling me to rebalance, although I'm not off by much in absolute terms.

I think I'm -10% for the quarter, following -2.7% 1Q2022. I say "I think" because I don't do much tracking of historical performance, but I think what I do track gives me the right info.

We're up bit YTD, not much. I'm counting the bonds at the held to maturity value. No bond funds. Funds - dividend stock and stable value; individual TIPS, Treasuries and CDs.

I'm down 18.85% YTD but I have no plans to rebalance. Did that.
86% SCHB
10% cash / 1 bond / 4 CDs
4% individual stocks

I'm trying to get to 80% stocks / 20% cash or bonds

Last edited:
Quicken says -50.21%, but thankfully that's annualized. It appears to be about 16ish% for the quarter. I'm essentially 98% VTSAX. What's my prize?

Heh, I probably should do so. My spreadsheet dashboard is telling me to rebalance, although I'm not off by much in absolute terms.

Hmmm... How does a guy who is 98% in stock AA rebalance?

Say, out of $1,000,000 you have $980,000 in stocks, and $20,000 in cash or whatever.

Stocks go down -16% to $823,200. Let's assume the $20,000 stays the same.

Then, the total balance is $843,200. To bring the stock AA to 98%, you need $826,336 in stock. It means buying $3,136 in stock.

The rebalance amount is $3,136 for each $1 million. That's very small. :)

On the other hand, if you are 50% in stock, the amount to rebalance into stock will be $40,000 for each $1M.

Last edited:
Hmmm... How does a guy who is 98% in stock AA rebalance?

Say, out of $1,000,000 you have $980,000 in stocks, and $20,000 in cash or whatever.

Stocks go down -16% to $823,200. Let's assume the $20,000 stays the same.

Then, the total balance is $843,200. To bring the stock AA to 98%, you need $826,336 in stock. It means buying $3,136 in stock.

The rebalance amount is $3,136 for each $1 million. That's very small. :)

On the other hand, if you are 50% in stock, the amount to rebalance into stock will be $40,000 for each $1M.

The short answer in my case is not very often. When I do, it is small amounts (as your math shows). It is therefore of very little real world consequence.

I do it more for my own amusement and occasionally to feel mildly productive when I have nothing better to do.

Back
Top Bottom